Could this be card death?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dabooga, May 18, 2016.

1. dabooga

dabooga Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    My cards been running beautifully in the last couple months but out of nowhere my card, whenever OC'd to any degree, artifacts badly.

Visual artifacts are often pink, black or white.
    Often occupying all, half or quarter of the screen.
    The artifacts are either large solid squares, or in a pixelated fashion similar to a chessboard.

I have never owned a GPU for so long that that it had died, so I'm not so sure what to look out for.

My core voltage has never passed 1.3v whilst OC'd, it floats around 1.25-9v.

Any info would be helpful,
    Thanks

2. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Yes is bad, if still in warranty send it to MSI if not ... OVEN TIME

3. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yes. Components degrade and overclocking accelerates the process, so your card is dying.

If it's still stable at stock, you can live with it, since it can take 1 months or 5 years until the card dies, it's impossible to tell.

4. dabooga

dabooga Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Its stable enough, just real disappointing that the ideal clock I had achieved only held for a few months. I expected more from the LIGHTNING line.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    probably GDDR5 problem. Baking the card is bad idea. Especially in oven.
    Professionally it is done by IR generator while all other heat sensitive components are shielded.
    And you do not want SMDs from back to fall off.

You should know exactly what's wrong before you attempt on random fix. Or just stop overclocking.

6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Well what is the stock clocks on that card? Even at stock its running much higher than many other 290x/390x gpus correct or no? I would see how much warranty is left on it? if its close i would rma it...if not see what happens. You might could hold out till the new gpus hit and then rma it so your not actually offline....then sell its as "new rma"

7. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    can you please post the stock clock values of BOTH gpu and memory for your card?
    and please post the OC you applied for the "last couple of months" both for gpu and memory.

8. dabooga

dabooga Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Joker

Yea its gotta be one of the fastest clocked 290Xs there is

Stock clocks are 1080/1250
    OC was at 1160/1600 @ 1.3v

I can still clock the memory at 1600, but any alteration to core clock seems to crash or artifact.