Could my hardrive be slown me down?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sopot, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sopot

sopot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GS
    Hy all, i just need some info or advise on my hardrive and on any hardrive at all. Because i think that its really slow and it laggs me alot during actual gameplay alot. My hardrive is really old,and really slow. The rpm's on the hardrive is 4200 and alot of people tell me thats really slow. they say that i should atleast have 7200 rpms on a hardrive. And i need to know that ones i get a faster hardrive will that actually help my computer run alot smoother during game play.

Well if you guys please help me out on lots of info on hardrives or on my hardrive please help. :)

2. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    One thing for sure is that Windows and load times will be alot faster... Didn't even know 4200RPM HDs still existed and would work in current PCs. I really doubt that if you change you won't see a difference, so go and buy one...

3. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    buy a 120 or a 160GB 8meg cache 7200 RPM seagate or western digital drive. and an extra 512MB of ram, then ur games will run sweet as all hell :D

4. CJ3D

CJ3D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    It wont make the game framerates faster, but a 7200RPM drive will surely improve game load times (and Windows load times off course).

Its not just the RPM that is faster, the seek and data transfer times will also be faster, which will help when loading many small/scattered files.