Could my CPU be bottle necking ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by enoy21, Sep 7, 2011.

1. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Hey guys , as you may have seen in my other post , I flashed my 5850 to a 5870 Bios last night.

So far I seem to be testing stable in Furmark up to 950/1275 but I'm not seeing any real performance gain beyond say 900 or so.

I looked at my CPU usage and it's running at 25% but that's because only one core is maxed out.

Does Furmark or another program do better for multi core testing to ensure that I'm seeing the performance gain ?

Also , what software do you use to test Memory OC ? It seems furmark only uses about 10% of the memory.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I wouldn't worry about it, you should be safe in most things with a quad at 3.8GHz.

Though keep in mind that if you ever do get crappy performance and it shows 4 threads at 25% each that's because it's at the maximum of 1 core. A single threaded program's time slices distributed among 4 cores rather than stressing the hell out of 1. Windows 7's task manager doesn't show decimals so with 8 threads it would show 12%.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    In some stuff it can, but generally probably not

4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    At 3.8, probably not in games at all.

5. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    Well I meant specifically in that app, or rather if that might be the cause for the lack of performance gain.

But After posting this I went back and Ran Unigeine's Heaven which was using about 50% memory and I started to see some artifacts , so I rolled it back and will start again but this time using that program for memory testing. I'm not really sure which caused the Artifacts since I had already ran them both up in Furmark , but I'm thinking the memory since my GPU usually throws a recovery/lock up when it's gone too far.

Is it better to test GPU or Memory first ? I've read people say Memory first as it's static and will remain the same regardless of voltage , but then others suggest GPU first.

Or does it really matter because they don't really effect the other in a way that would hinder/improve OC levels ?

6. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    I wouldn't push your 5850 too much further past 1200mhz. I leave mine @ 1215. Anything above that I will get artifacts and also negative performance in some applications. This all depends on the card after all. My one 5850 can do 1300 without actually locking up but my other doesn't like anything above 1215 for extended periods. Also after doing some testing, the performance from say 1200-1250 is very very small in most all benchmarks, the core is what you want.

I run 940/1215 with original 5850 bios.

7. enoy21

enoy21 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 @ 925/1225
    The ironic thing is that I was unable to get past 1150 stable on memory when I was running the 5850 Bios. I asked but never received a response in the other thread ; Does the bios flash add more voltage to memory ?

I also noticed that while the Voltage options in ATT and any overclocking tools show 1.163 as the max .... Yet when it's OC'd it only goes up to 1.125 according to the sensors.

I used the Sapphire Bios that was released on the same day as my original bios. Both are reference cards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/56578/Sapphire.HD5870.1024.090914.html

Is this the same file that is used with the Asus brand ( according to the list there it says it is )