Corsair's JohnnyGuru claims 12VHPWR melting problem is caused by connectors not properly plugged in

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 9, 2022.

1. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 3060ti
    ok, shows anything about 6 or 8 pin failling down causing connector flames

2. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I say the first one. If Corsair are paying him money for his opinion (these things are never given free) then it's already has a lot less integrity than someone researching the truth purely for information and no financial gain.

schmidtbag and Cave Waverider like this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Damn between that article and his discord post about overclocking the 4090.. seems like johnnyguru should stop talking lol

sykozis, Neo Cyrus and Airbud like this.
  4. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    All about the clicks!

sykozis and brogadget like this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 760
    They should honestly recommend to plug in the 12VHPWR adapter (or cable) to the card before inserting it in the PCI-e slot. One can apply much more force by holding the cooler than pushing the card against the motherboard. Can confirm though that the CableMod cable was easier to push than the nVidia manufactured 4x8 adapter.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    Dragam1337, fantaskarsef and Airbud like this.
  6. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Through extensive testing, it appears that bending the wires too close to the connector could result in some of the terminals coming loose or misaligning within the connector itself. This may lead to an uneven load across the other wires, increasing the risk of overheating damage. The risk of this is substantially higher if the bend is done horizontally in relation to the connector orientation (left to right).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stay tuned for more details on how to plug in a toaster...

[​IMG]

sykozis, Kaarme, carnivore and 4 others like this.
  7. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    the article link is dead?

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 760
    Either it's by mistake or some corporation told him to remove it.

9. ColinB

ColinB Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Eagle 3070

"I2R = ασ2πrl (T4−T40)"

pasted this into Google: Amazed!
    I've never seen a unique return from Google before.

Even tried just the right hand side of the equation with/without spaces!

This connector is going to be tricky, because it needs to stay away from cooling fin outlets.
    I'd prefer it to be a right-angle connector, so that it can be pushed in and clicked by thumb/forefinger pressure.
    But what do I know?

10. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    But the 12V lines are on the side of the connector that the sense pins are on, so if the sense pins are not making a good connection, there is a big chance that the 12V pins also are not making connection.

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Maybe he got word that Nvidia is prepping a statement or something. Removed that page to save face. He's been posting some controversial and badly informed opinions lately.

sykozis likes this.
  12. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Still wondering so much, this connector + adapter is onboard since when? Ampere? For 2 years now? Esp. regarding 3090TI, all cards come with 12VHPWR + adapters, never heard of a heat issue, even during mad mining. Now because of worldwide crazy speculations, 4090 owners are unsure or even afraid + same with customers who might want to buy the card (like me). So frustrating. Still can´t believe it. So disappointing, that I refuse to give them my money.
    To cheer yourself up, you can only make fun of it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 760
    Sounds like an educated guess.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the forum converts some special characters into ansi, i should have just snipped it.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    protects the sense pins, which were being damaged in some cases.

I've been thinking that too.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Those images are cool but how many cases are wide enough to connect the connector without bending it too much?...o_O

Also, many thanks for the image about the toaster because i`ve been doing the wrong way all this time!:eek:

Netherwind and Airbud like this.
  17. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI FTW3 HB
    To be fair, why would a card use 450-600 watts? Is it because of the failure to reach fewer manufacturing beats, believe me, this failure will lead the technology to completion.

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 on H2O
    Yes , indeed :confused: , i wonder why it got pulled ?

19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
  20. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Thanks for the pictures. Imo, such a small gap must not cause the plug to melt, Nvidia should have thought of user error and power peaks beforehand. Nvidia´s instruction that you must not bend the cables too much close to connector is also absolute nonsense. An electronics company that says please don´t bend the cables is imo a joke. My final attempt at speculation:

You must not bend the cables too much, because they are firmly soldered to the plug terminal, which means that if you bend the cables too much on the plug, you bend the terminals inside the plug as well, it is not flexible enough, terminals or pins deform, can detach, or even damage connector on AIB, transition resistance will change.

The connector housing is much too weak or not designed for close cable bending, but what to do if GPU does not fit in PC case? If you also see that two or even four cables are soldered together at the terminals, then you should not be surprised if they deform when pushed too strong and if there is no longer 100% contact. Imo a much better solution can be to crimp all 12 +4 cables and connect them together afterwards with a special pcb or adapter kit for PCIe8 pin cables.

Therefore, power connections must be very flexible, this can only be achieved by crimping. However, it is not possible to crimp two cables together to one terminal. The plug would have to be completely designed different inside, terminals might have to be bridged internally or similar. Imo, for this reason, Nvidia thought, okay, let's take plugs with solder terminals, let´s solder the cables together. It´s easy and fast to manufacture and much cheaper than crimping. That was a mistake.
    While it's all just speculation, imo, it could be a possible expl..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022