Corsair's JohnnyGuru claims 12VHPWR melting problem is caused by connectors not properly plugged in

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    XenthorX likes this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Well that's reassuring.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Sounds like problem enhanced by users been extra careful with the 12 pin adaptor trying not bend it excessively an insert it carefully, that sometimes it isn't seating proper when they think it is fully inserted.

TheDeeGee and Kaarme like this.
  4. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    So... the connector is tr**** that cant be seated correctly (bad QC) or its not obvious when its not seated correctly (connector tab well seated but the connector is not completely inserted)?

Users failing to install it correctly should be taken into account, but many tech people took a look into it and did not noticed that (i did no see anything about it).

Crazy Serb likes this.

5. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    Gamers Nexus also did extensive testing into the issue, and was unable to reproduce the melting cable even when they, for experiment's sake, intentionally damaged the adapter in ways which should increase resistance through the connector, and thus produce more heat. But they were entirely unable to reproduce the results across six different adapters. They also noted however, that their adapters were soldered differently than for example the one presented by that German site. This is a weird issue by all means.

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Moments like this I'm glad I over tighten things :D Now to gloat to the wife as I replace the washers in the taps >.>

Airbud likes this.
  7. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    In other words....make sure the connector goes balls deep into that 12pin socket... :D

386SX, sykozis and GSDragoon like this.
  8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    Just received a cable from aliexpress and it was pretty shocking, videos and pictures you see online don't do this connector justice so I made a picture for you
    the two connectors on the left are cable mods 18AWG
    the 3 on the right are from aliexpress they are 16WG, I ordered a 18AWG too but they cancelled the order :/ will order another one but it's going to take 1-2 months again

bottom line is the new connector is SMALLER than a single old one (wider but less height which you don't see here) and of course the contact surface of each 12V pin is smaller too
    it's insanity that someone gave this an ok for production
    a car subwoofer amplificator also works with 12V and the cable from my battery to my amp was as thick as my pinky finger for a 55A fuse, so pretty much the same current a 600W gpu would see, talk about a difference in safety
    guru3d_pcie cables2.png
    edit : the connectors are taped against a table and had no notable height difference so that's 1:1 size for the two types of connectors, no visual tricks here

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    carnivore, geogan, Airbud and 2 others like this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's also a bad design choice, and nothing else, if a connector is easy to connect improperly without noticing. We have had electric connectors since the 19th century, so it's not exactly a new field of engineering. Like k3vst3r said, it's also a grave matter that when you are dealing with a really expensive device and have heard rumours of the adapter being sensitive, lots of people may not be willing to use enough force to push the connector in. If you break the adapter by manhandling it, you can't use your card, yet the warranty won't help you either.

carnivore, Airbud and JAMVA like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    stop blaming the connector, which has been tested for years under the required loads and then some, with flying colours, its obviously a protection method for fragile egos, but doesn't correct the issue going forward.

molex has had connections of all tightness over the years, nothing has changed.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I wonder why they didn't stick with the longer pins atleast.

That could have prevented this issue.

Picolete likes this.
  12. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    lab testing != real world

sykozis, Airbud and wavetrex like this.
  13. codyrocco

codyrocco Member

GPU:
    Mali T720
    Let's use this:

Attached Files:

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. andreiga76

andreiga76 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I can confirm it's easy to think the connector is inserted and in reality is not fully, you need to push a little more until you hear a click, you need more pressure than you are used with with 8 pin connectors.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Get a valid argument, you think the 8 pin and 4 pin molexes didn't melt at all? get real.

PC Builders adapt or leave the hobby.

Atleast the humans in a lab learn from failure, instead of shirking responsibility.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Some guys here mentioned that maybe the lab testing was made without using a case and I wouldn't be surprised if this really happened.

To make matters worse, the 4090 is huge, making it harder to seat the connector properly inside a closed case.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  17. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    This reminds me when Apple told their customers that they're holding the phone wrong.

18. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The problem here is two fold. 1, too many connections on a single small plug. 2. The connector wasn't made Idiot proof.
    The more pins you have to press in, the more tension. Not every one has the same strength, or are afraid to apply enough pressure. To those who don't do this often, there is a fear of breaking the connector, so don't press hard enough.
    They should have stuck with the three, 8 pin connectors used on the 3000 series

Airbud likes this.
  19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Funny attempt to put the blame away from them.

In any case, I'm one of those paranoid ones that always makes sure seated as best as possible in the socket.

20. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    ¿70? years has gone by since the molex started...

You would think that in 70 years basic design flaws would be avoided.

Get a valid argument yourself.

Airbud and Kaarme like this.