Corsair to relase 12-pin power cables for GeForce RTX 30 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    This is neat but with most AIB cards not using this, I'd only see use if I went with the reference Founder Edition card. I'm on the fence to go with either AIB or Founders though, I was really impressed with the 5700xt STRIX.

3. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    RGB was a mistake.

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    An 8 pin PCIe power connector only has 3 power pins, 3 GND pins, and 2 sense pins. A 12-pin has 6 power/6 GND and skips on the sense stuff (which is supposed to be used to detect if a power supply is connected). The improvements come from stricter requirements for the engineering, and thus also being able to make the 12-pin the size as a single 8-pin.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    In addition to what nevcairiel said, I believe the wire gauge is thicker too, but I may be mistaken on that. Thicker wires can carry more current.

6. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    Braided cables dont conduct heat so using them on ticker gauge cables isnt a wise idea.This is a fire hazard waiting to happen.

7. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Seriously, it is very good time to make a new standard power cable for for MB,GPUs... Why not have a circular or other type rectangular 12-pin cable with only one cable where you have 12 leads inside that cable. Like a sensor cable for instruments, or like a SATA cable or similar. This way we dont have to have a chunk of a connector and way to thick overall cable...