1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsair M.2 MP500 acting up,cant fiqure out why

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by GenClaymore, Jan 6, 2018.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    An day ago my Corsair MP500 M.2 120GB drive came in, I installed it without any issue. But when it came to using it, I having an hard time getting it to work right. First problem is the write speeds is super slow. My read speeds are 1900-2100, while my write speeds goes up and down from 300mb to 600 to 700 and once in an while 1000's then back down to 300.

I did every thing that I could think off, including installing it into the other M.2 slot on my motherboard. I formatted many times, I went into my bios and checked and see if every thing is correct, I know I may had missed something.

I installed my chipset drivers, I even tried without them installed including trying with and without the IRST drivers. I also have an fan directing air into the Mp500 thinking it could be heat. Sadly it still doing it. I even disabled all but the M.2 drive and that didn't fix it.

Another odd thing that i didn't have before until i got this drive. Whenever i copy an url to the desktop, my computer freeze for an moment, evidently unfreezing but not acting putting the url link on the desktop.

I have tried running stock instead of overclocked, the same issue. The only option I have left is to try the M.2 drive with an M.2 nvme to PCi-E adapter that I have laying around that I got cheap some months ago.

I don't know what else it could be.

My setup is
    I7 7800X
    Asus Mark 2 TUF X299
    2x4GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3600
    3TB WD hard drive
    This Corsair Mp500
    GTX 1080
    Corsair RM850
    AE-5
    And an blu ray R/W drive

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The problem with a smaller SSDs is that they take a hit in write performance depending on volume sizes, you have the smallest one in the MP500 range. The random behavior, however, is weird as well as the behavior you see with URL copying, I see, and there should be no relation whatsoever. I mean the MP500 has a lot of DRAM cache. So this starts to sound a bit windows'eeeh? Did you do a clean install?

It could be that the SSD being slower in writes due to a small volume, but also you cannot rule out that there is activity in the background. Could you let your system rest for 30 minutes (check with task manager if nothing is happening in the background) and then run your test again?

And how did you test perf, I recommend Crystal Diskmark. Show me a couple of runs here. BTW I am running a 480GB MP500 on the very system I type this msg on.

Below my current perf after like a year, and being active as root drive on the system I type this msg on (Ryzen 1600 btw)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    yasamoka likes this.
  3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    Dont forget that its only as fast as the source of data, if your copying or installing from a sata 3 hhd your going to top out at around 450mbs if your lucky, also you wont get max speed after youve put data on the drive, my samsung pro 960 512gb reads around 2500mbs with around 60% of the drive space used, thats testing with as-ssd and samsung magician. try copying data from a ram drive to your Corsair drive. Ive just run crystaldiskmark and got
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 6.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3193.135 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1965.601 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1328.141 MB/s [ 324253.2 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1349.673 MB/s [ 329510.0 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 667.358 MB/s [ 162929.2 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 542.585 MB/s [ 132467.0 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 50.212 MB/s [ 12258.8 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 207.872 MB/s [ 50750.0 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 60.1% (257.7/428.8 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
    Date : 2018/01/06 9:56:49

Which is a lot more than tests i did with As-ssd
    AS SSD Benchmark 1.9.5986.35387
    ------------------------------
    Name: NVMe Samsung SSD 960 SCSI Disk Device
    Firmware: 3B6Q
    Controller: secnvme
    Offset: 513024 K - OK
    Size: 476.94 GB
    Date: 06/01/2018 10:01:20
    Sequential:
    Read: 2477.77 MB/s
    Write: 1527.14 MB/s
    4K:
    Read: 39.73 MB/s
    Write: 168.40 MB/s
    4K-64Threads:
    Read: 1270.81 MB/s
    Write: 1242.81 MB/s
    Access Times:
    Read: 0.060 ms
    Write: 0.022 ms
    Score:
    Read: 1558
    Write: 1564
    Total: 3874

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    What antivirus are your running? Are you running a xmp profile? Did you clone windows when installing m2 or fresh install? Also have you checked to make sure m2 is running at gen3 in bios?

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I did an fresh install, I haven't tried to clone it, I also tried it with manual, auto and XMP profile. Also I made sure it was running at Gen 3 in the bios. I was running Norton antivirus, and i changed it to avira anti virus, I even tried with no anti virus. tried with nothing installed and then tried with just the drivers installed. The results was all the same, including having that same odd issue.

The only thing I didn't try was using an clone windows install.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Weird. Since you reach normal read perf, PCIe Gen 3 definitely is working properly, so this is not a system related thing. You reach close to 390 MB/s on all queued workloads, it's a bottleneck of some kind and I am since it is so dead on that 390 MB/s marker, I am seriously starting to wonder if this isn't what I mentioned in my initial post, low writes for a small SSD due to limited channals. Then again with MLC ... that should not be this low.

Got a bud with an M2 slot in his PC where you can check it out? Perhaps also check if there is a firmware update? Otherwise, I'd suggest opening up a support ticket at Corsair.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    But I was also able to improve my M.2 Read and write speeds to 2215/1233 . Since I made the alignment 640k. When I redid the M.2's partition. But I do notice it lowers when the M.2 over heat, so I either going to move it to the M.2 slot that's standing up, since its in front of one of my 140mm Case fans, or maybe find an comparable clip on heat sink, or some how find an way to place an fan downward so it blows air on the flat M.2 slot.

I did fix my weird issue, I don't know what was doing it. Also thank you all for trying to help me with the issue at hand. Now I hope I don't run into this issue again.

[​IMG]

Also I wanna ask an quick question related to this screen in the bios, should I be worried that this screen shows KBL, when in Cpu-z it shows Skylake-X which I have. Or am I worrying about nothing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well, that certainly is looking much better ! BTW throttling, doubt it ... I have the 480GB model remember, not cooled whatsoever. But hey, if it works it works. Enjoy ;)

And to your question, no it's just a register value for the same chipset. The chipset can manage kaby and skylake-x.

9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Was wondering what kind of results you get when you go larger on test i.e. 4gb-8gb-16gb? Also I noticed your memory is running at 2133 instead of 3600. Maybe you have an issue in that area?

Also found this article maybe it will help a little:
    Technically, the MP500 doesn't require any special drivers to work. That said, it does if you want to extract maximum performance from the drive and right now Corsair doesn't offer an NVMe driver. Samsung recently released a new NVM Express driver which greatly improved performance under Windows 10 and 8.1.

The problem being that these operating systems by default enable a write-cache buffer known as the Force Unit Access command, which drastically reduces performance. This command is a conservative approach taken by Microsoft to ensure data integrity in case of sudden power loss. However, from Windows 8 onwards, Microsoft incorporated an automatic FLUSH command to ensure data integrity, but it simultaneously maintained the much older Force Unit Access command in the standard drive settings.

[​IMG]

This redundancy means that write speeds are significantly inhibited due to unnecessary write verification processes. By manually disabling the command, the write performance reached the expected levels. However, manually manipulating drive properties isn't user-friendly, which is obviously why Samsung developed the NVMe Driver 2.0 to do this automatically. Hopefully Corsair will follow suit and do the same.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    Oh I was running stock trying to make sure it wasn't an bios issue, as normally run my system overclocked , with my ram oced to 4ghz. But at the time of the screen i had it at stock trying to weed out issues. Yea I made sure both times to turn off the write cache buffer flushing.

Interesting enough, as soon the windows 10 cpu patch is installed, my write speeds in crystal mark went back down yet, when I using my computer, the write speeds are fast and every thing flying. Like the results doesn't match the actual performance, almost like its the same speed as before but crystal mark and the other disk bench-marking software isn't showing it in there results from the cpu patch. If you understand what I mean. Doesn't even seem like I having issues, almost feels like it working correctly. Glitch maybe?

11. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX 1080Ti

I had this drive, now i have the MP500 960gb, you need to enable all the check-boxes in the drive settings, disable cache flushing, that has great effect on performance.
    P.S. Did you run memtest after overclocking your RAM? I had many issues iwth stable RAM but memtest found errors and it affected system in hidden strange way, almost virus like.

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    Yea that was the first thing I did, both at stock and overclocked settings, including making sure to check those boxes, disabling precache and super cache and all of that. I also read that having CSM on will cause M.2 drives to slow down, but that didn't help. But what was odd was, I had to keep CSM in the bios on for windows 10 to even see the M.2 drive to select it in setup.I was only able to turn off CSM after windows 10 was installed which didn't make sense.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    Evidently I RMAed the drive to corsair, and the replacement they send back does have improve writing speeds. which hangs around 768-1k and times doing 1260s. Which is a lot better then before. Even the read speeds improve an bit. So it seems it was the M.2 that was acting up.