Corsair H110i AIO Cooler - Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kosie, Aug 3, 2016.

1. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Your not the only one, hence why I went with the redux editio ones. Black and grey is a lot nicer than brown and white lol

Let me know how you go and if you notice the difference

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you are don't like Noctua colors then I would have look on BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 PWM,if you want to control those fans through the CorsairLink or Pure Wings 2 PWM can be good option,but Silent Wings are quieter without the question

Those temps I've under heavy load or when I render(currently is rendering 2 hours) and temps are as per below and those fans are running at 1000RPM and at those RPM those fans are quiet

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    So I've managed to get the radiator fans working at what I think is a good level, this is without swapping them. I've actually realized that a lot of the strange noises I'm hearing at the moment are surprisingly coming from my 2 front case fans, the Noctua Redux 1200 RPM ones...

I have also realised that in general the case fans are spinning more than the radiator fans, is that how they should operate? I'm playing around with fan control settings but finding it hard to get the right balance and its becoming annoying :(

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

You have Enthoo Pro M as in your profile?

If yes,do you have fans plugged in PWM controller/hub which should come with Enthoo ?

Something like this

[​IMG]

If you don't have,please have look on PWM Y splitter cable,which is very cheap and shouldn't cost more than few $

If you do have fans plugged in Enthoo Fan hub,then you should be able control fans through Asus AI Suite SW

You should connect your case fans to the PWM hub, and then connect the 4 pin connector on the hub to your CPU_Fan header on your motherboard. This allows you to run all the fans on the hub through the one 4-pin header on your motherboard.

Don't connect the SATA power connector if you plan to use it the way I mentioned. You can use EITHER the sata power OR the 4-pin pwm header to power the hub and fans. If you use the included sata power connector, it will run all the fans at full speed all the time. If you use only the 4-pin conector to your mobo, it will allow you to control them through your bios, or whatever you use.

My fans on case are running at 750RPM,previously I've run too this PWM fan hub and my fans run similar 750-800RPM,it depends how you set it up

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Yup they are connected to PMW via a splitter. My fans just make this strange noise. I've added a link where i uploaded it to youtube. Do you know what this sound is? I dont think its the fans being faulty is it?

https://youtu.be/RH-7VOGgJ6Q

This noise occurs at 700-750RPM and above...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Can you control actual fans in Asus AI suite or you can't ?

Can you go to BIOS and set those fans at I don't know 850RPM or you can try set them in AI suite ?

This sounds more like they're not controlled as should if you mean they're accelerate and then slows downs

If you are lower the RPM to very low RPM then you can run to issues as they will start to click

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. InfinityX

InfinityX Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    Also don't forget that powerful fans at medium to high RPM may pull on parts of the case, dust filters, etc., any may cause noise and some vibrations which may also resonate either directly around the fan or across to other parts of the chassis.

I have spent a lot of time reducing fan noise on my current Corsair Carbide 540 Air chassis and H80i build, and about £250 on different fans trying to resolve similar issues. The Corsair fans on the cooler and in the chassis are absolutely shockingly loud.

I ended up replacing all chassis fans FROM Corsair SP Series to Noctua NF-P14s REDUX PWM 1200RPM 140mm Quiet Case Fans, and removed the standard AIO radiator fans with Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling fans. Each fan was padded with sticky inserts. I also removed all included dust filters and replaced with the DEMCiflex Dust Filter Kit for Corsair 540 Air.

Cooling performance is magnificent and well worth the time and cost.

The system is now silent working in desktop, as the Palit Jetstreams are also silent unless gaming.

In a high CPU overclock and with both GTX970s at full-boost the Noctua's ramp up and are audible, but the noise is a constant flat hum, and no weird whirs or vibrations.

8. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    That's the exact fan I'm using at the front of my case causing those strange sounds. I have 2.

Hi Jura11,

I haven't tried controlling my fans through the AI Suite/Fan Xpert 3 as I generally just do it through BIOS for the case fans and Corsair Link for the radiator fans.

The demo i provided in my video is the fans starting at around 700RPM and then putting them to full boost which is 1200RPM and you can hear the noise get louder. Then when I drop them back down the noise goes away a little. I've created a manual profile now where the fans run at 500-600RPM and increase where required. The noise has stopped however as soon as they start hitting the 700RPM mark again they start to make that funny noise. Considering I have just spent $5k on this build, to me that's not good enough and I've never come across this type of case fan noise before.

I'm seriously considering swapping the fans for something different but I just feel like I've spent enough money. I'll contact the people that built my PC today and see what they say but I just dont have time to run around fixing this, I'd rather do it myself.

I think the fans and radiator are setup in a push/pull setup, that wouldn't make fans make funny noises would it? How do I actually check to see how these guys set it up? I I assume it depends how the blades face right?

9. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Another question in regards to case fans, since I have a dual radiator cooling my CPU, are case fans actually required? I'm not saying I'm going to remove them but I'm just curious if they actually have any impact on the water/CPU temps? I'm just thinking, to avoid hearing this noise I can setup a custom fan profile for the 2 front fans to only operate between the 400-700RPM mark before I start hearing the annoying sound.

10. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Some fans can make noise and I never those Noctua,I usually use normal type Noctua

I'm surprised by noise of them as I've used several fans from Noctua and those are noisiest in my view there.

As I said,some fans when are under volted they can sounds strange,I've read review on those fans and reviewer run them bellow 800RPM where are quiet enough as beyond they're noisy,at 800RPM they are in 19dB

Regarding swapping the fans,if you are really not happy I would swap them,have look on few reviews and decide

This is thread which should help you to decide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/...d-comprehensive-array-of-tests-and-benchmarks

I've used in past Thermalright TY-14x series which are quiet,but as most fans you don't want to run them at full RPM as case fans

Push/pull configuration looks like
    this

[​IMG]

Depends on fans,push/pull can be very noisy setup,I've tried only few times and I'm not sure if its worth there,in my case 2-3C is not worth at all..

You should swap fans yourself there,its very easy and you should be able to do

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

I wouldn't recommend to remove fans,you don't need to run all fans at 100%,I'm running my fans at 750-800RPM and at those RPM Phanteks fans are very quiet,beyond 1000RPM they're very noisy..

Case fans are for reason for airflow inside the case and mainly case fans cools like HDD,GPU and CPU,VRM and other components

You simply want have at least two fans in case and RPM depends,check with several fan profiles what temps you will have when you game,idle and when is under heavy load,do simple bench for yourself and then decide if you need to run higher or lower

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

11. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Thanks for your help, I'll do some testing and see what best fits my needs. I'm thinking of using Prim95 for this, can you give me some tips on what are the best ways to test? I've never used Prime95 but I assume you just set certain fields with certain targets and away you go?

12. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

For CPU benchmark I would go with OCCT,Realbench and Corona Benchmark which I use mostly

For GPU if you want really punishing bench I would have look on OctaneBench and LuxMark,those I use mostly as I do rendering and if my OC is stable in those two benches I'm sure will be stable in any game as those two benches punishing GPU

I would write all yours results with different fan speeds,this way I do and then I decide which RPM will give best performance/noise ratio

And have look on SIV64,its great SW very similar to HWMonitor or other monitoring SW,I'm using this as my main monitoring SW

http://rh-software.com

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    People should pay more attention to the news page.

Corsair ML series Magnetic Fans

I switched my H100i stock ones with static pressure fans, do the job pretty well and aren't that noisy.

[​IMG]

14. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Yeah I'm considering the ML fans but I dont know if I can trust them just yet, even though I see positive reviews everywhere. it's hard to overlook Noctua but I might take the risk and give them a go. Blue LED lights would complement my build nicely I'll admit.

@ Jura, thanks for the advice, when I get a chance I'll run some tests at different fan profiles and speeds and see what works best.

15. UserBoob

UserBoob New Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Do fans really difference so much`? I saw a LTT video where fans barley did anything?

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Depends on case layout and depends on how you have configured fans and how you have configured PC

I would test with every fans turned off and run only CPU fan and then check temps of yours MB,HDD,SSD etc then you can decide

In most cases you will end up with higher GPU,MB and HDD/SSD temps if you will turn off every fan,but this depends on ambient temps

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura