Corsair H110i AIO Cooler - Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kosie, Aug 3, 2016.

1. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Hi All,

I just purchased my new PC with the Corsair H110i AIO cooler however I find that the fans are quite loud and annoying. I've set the profile to Quiet on Corsair Link which has made them a lot quieter but I'm looking for a set of new fans that can do the same job but run even quieter if possible. Is there anything you would recommend?

I assume I need to get static fans? I'm running 2 Noctua 140mm NF-P14S Redux Edition Fans at the front of the case. Can I use these same fans to also replace my Corsair ones or am I better off looking at something like Corsairs new magnetic fans? The case I'm using is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M and running an i7 6700k at stock for the moment.

I'm not sure if buying new fans will even reduce the noise. A friend has suggested that I just create my own profiles in Corsair Link and manage noise that way but I have no idea how to do that without cooking my CPU hence why I'm leaning towards buying 2 new fans which I hope will make a lot less noise.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I would swap those "jetfighter" fans for something quieter..

I've H100i v2 and I've tried few fans on Corsair H series AIO,I've run Noctua NF-F12 which has been best fans and quietest fans,usually I've run those fans at 750-1200RPM and temps has been always perfect and lower than with supplied Corsair fans..

Then I've tried BeQuiet PureWings2 which are pretty much on par with Noctua,but they're noisier at higher RPM(above 1300RPM),at 750-1200RPM you will not hear them too much there..But still I would have look on BeQuiet SilentWings2 PWM which are quieter and perform similarly to PureWings 2

I've tried too Corsair Quiet Edition which are loud for my liking there

Yes new fans will reduce like temps and noise,with this I'm sure there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Hi Jura,

Thanks for your advice. It certainly does help. I've been looking at replacing the fans with the Noctua ones, a lot of people have recommended them to me.

I just hope they keep temps and everything under control! I'm sure they will though. Would you recommend creating new profiles for them or just running them on the Quiet profile under corsair link?

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would recommend too Noctua,I wanted to get for myself,but when I bought mine H100 they're been out of stock,have run them and they're been quietest fans which I've run

Yours temps should be same as with Corsair supplied fans if no better and I wouldn't worry about the temps with Noctua or any other fans

If you want to control fans through the Corsair Link,you need to have PWM fans(4 pin fans),regarding the creating custom new profile,I've created few with range from 45% to 75% and this does worked for me

Right now I'm using external fan controller(Phobya) as in OSX this CorsairLink doesn't work and there my fans runs at full speed and current one BeQuiet PureWings are quiet noisy there,but usually I'm running my fans at 750-1200RPM,that's the range which works for me and my temps are pretty much good although for cooling i7-5820k OC to 4.5GHz H100i with 240mm radiator is not enough,temps goes through the roof,due this I'm running 4.4GHz and my temps are under load on hottest core at 65-68C

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Thanks again. Can I ask a silly question, if the fans are not PWM does that mean I can't control them through Corsair link and they will just run at whatever speed is required to keep the CPU cool? Considering these Noctua fans don't spin past 1,200 RMP, I don't think they would get too noisy anyway even if spinning at max.

Last thing, do the fans need to be plugged into the motherboard or can the corsair connector connect straight to them meaning I literally just un-mount the old fans and mount the new ones?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

This depends on fan there,I know my PureWings 2 from BeQuiet are not PWM(I didn't realize they're making too PWM) and due this I'm controlling them through the fan controller,previous NF-F12 has been PWM and those I've been able control through the CorsairLink

If they're not PWM,yours fan will be running on full speed at what they're rated,if they're rated at 1200RPM then I would say,they're will be quieter than stock Corsair fans that's for sure,you can buy for Noctua fans U.L.N.A or L.N.A reducers which will reduce speed of fans(with U.L.N.A yours speed should be 900-950RPM and with L.N.A yours fan speed will be 750RPM)

Yes you can plug them like to motherboard or to Corsair connector,usually they will be straight fit and yes you should un-mount old Corsair fans and fitr those new Noctua or fans of yours choice

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Wow, so much things about fans that I didn't know...

I think I might just spend the extra $3 and get PWN fans since I can control them through Corsair Link haha.

Thanks for all your help, you've been very helpful.

8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

With PWM you will have better control and better control of speed of fans,as i said you can get those reducers from Noctua which looks like this,but mostly some their fans are supplied with those reducers

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Thank you :)

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Great information. I got the H110i GT and like you guys the supplied fans are super loud. Luckily the rad is so huge that it seems to cope well with the fans set to ~850 RPM where they're not that loud. The side effect is that the fans dont really help with exhausting any hot air from the case. I'll consider the PWM fan recommendations mentioned here.

11. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Awesome! Please let me know how you go and if you notice the difference. I'll do the same when I get around to changing my fans :)

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Sure, I'll remember this thread and post when I've found some fans and made the replacement :)

13. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Haven't tried the new Corsair ML fans but every other Corsair fan I've used has been way too loud for my liking. I swapped all of my fans out for Noctua fans and my PC is mostly silent now. I owned the H100i prior to the Noctua D15 and it was just so loud with any fan I used.

15. kosie

kosie Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    I've heard these fans are good, I'm just a bit worried to try them given most other Corsair fans are quite loud. Also, everyone raves on about how good Noctua fans are so I really don't know what to do. I do like the Blue LED Corsair ML fans though, they would fit my build perfectly.

If I went with the Corsair fans, would I just have to set the profile on the Corsair Link software to quiet and notice the sound difference?

I worked out Corsair Link has a default profile which drops RPM of fans to 500-700 which was a lot better but then I started hearing some random 'HDD type noise' (like a whoooooo noise) occasionally during games. I'm guessing this was the pump

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would go with Noctua,those fans I've run on my previous build with X5670 OC to 4.2GHz and 4.4GHz and my temps has been in 60's under heavy load in rendering

Case I've used has been Thermaltake Core X71

[​IMG]

And this is has my current case,but with BeQuiet PureWings 2 on H100i v2,Asus Maximus VII Z97 with i7-4790k OC to 4.6GHz and temps under heavy load and 750RPM has been in 65-70C

[​IMG]

Every LED fan which I've tried has been noisier than non LED,agree those Noctua doesn't looks appealing,but performance is well worth it

I've run on 4core/8 thread mostly 750-1000RPM under heavy load,I never needed to run more,only on this i7-5820k I'm running 1100-1200RPM when I do renders and at those RPM my BeQuiet fans are quiet there,lot quieter than any Corsair fans what I've tried in my life

Not sure which one do you use CorsairLink,I've used earlier on H100i which has have better control of fans,this current one is poor brother of previous version,please have look on previous CL I think v3 which has been bit better,but not sure if yours will be compatible with v3,just please check that

Pump noise,that's the issue on all AIO from Corsair or AIO which use Asetek/Coolit

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Everyone says Noctua for a reason - good stuff.
    I've myself never tried them due to looks and also the price (really expensive).

Id want to try the new ML fans too since they're appraised by many.

18. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I have three 120mm ML fans connected to exhaust air through my Swiftech AIO, and fan speeds set in the mobo bios to "auto". Mine are running at 1700rpm while gaming, and they're DEAD SILENT. CPU temps at 4.4ghz stay around 50c. The same three fans cool my video cards as well. The fans will run as low as 400 rpm and still move more air than ANY other fan I've had installed. If you want cool AND quiet, get the Corsair ML series fan. Nothing better, in my opinion.

19. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've used Noctua on several builds,on this last one I didn't used them as they're been out of stock,due this I went with BeQuiet fans..

Regarding Corsair ML series fans i would have look over on OCN

http://www.overclock.net/t/1606861/corsair-ml120-fans/90

In my case I would love to test them,but not sure if I would put my trust to Corsair fans,still have at home like SP or Quiet Edition of their fans which really I wouldn't use them unless all my fans has failed and buying those fans,they're more expensive than Noctua

I will be have for testing Coolink SWiF2-120 which looks like they're quiet fans and those fans are very cheap,hopefully they will perform too

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Interesting review. Though I noticed that the ML fans weren't exactly cheap either but nevermind that, I'll try two of them on my AIO.

Hello Jura.

I read a few pages of the OCN thread and looks like mixed feelings. But there was a video sonewhere describing the difference between normal AF120s and ML120s and the difference is really big.

Ill try a pack of Twin ML140 PWM and see how they are, then we'll see.