Corsair H100i fan speed not changing.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by StealBalls, Sep 29, 2013.

1. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Hi,

with the default Corsair fans the speed would change with load as expected - but were horribly noisy.

I replaced the fans with scythe fans which are so quiet it's lovely, however, they don't change speed no matter what I am doing, any ideas?

cheers.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Are they 3 pin or 4 pin?

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What Scythe fans? Hard to really say anything if you only tell us the brand and not the model.

4. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Sorry.

120mm 800rpm Scythe Glide Str3am 3 pin.

I read a review where they seemed to have pretty awesome airflow for such quiet fans.

Performance noise ratio.

Not sure I would like to stress test with these fans much but, playing BF3 64 player caspian border I have one core which is far far hotter than the rest and that was 67 and the cooling is barely audible at all, in fact honestly, I don't even know if i cna hear it at all.

So, as long as temps are safe, I would rather have quiet.

Other cores were 62, 63, and 57.

vcore is 1.22v

EDIT on doing some more research defo looks like I need 4 pin fans for the pump to dynamically control fan speed, I actually don't know if my Scythe fans are running at full speed or not, if they are running at full speed they are near silent.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    3 pins run at full speed unless you have a voltage controller connected somewhere. Since the H100i's controller is PWM based, I doubt it supports voltage control for 3 pin fans.

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    At 800RPM they should definitely be almost silent, and I don't see why they wouldn't be running at full speed. There's a PWM version of the same fan available, the same one that is used in Scythe Mugen 4, for example.

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680 DCII
    Correct!