Corsair H100 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

The product we test today is the Corsair H100 all pimped up with a new design radiator and internally regulated control for pump and fans. Next to that what's interesting is that this product is based...

More...

2. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    I wonder how good is it holding out against XSPC Rasa 750 RS240.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Only a dual?No thanks...NEXT.

4. J. Doe

J. Doe Guest

Well, what else can you expect from AIO? A 480 rad? It's a fairly simple replacement for high-end air in a low profile (block), while cooling a bit better. It won't perform as good as a Rasa, or a custom loop for that matter.

5. qwwwizx

qwwwizx Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680SO
    The H100 looks good, but suffers bigtime in a normal un-modded chassis. To be able to perform as in this test, the H100 have to be equipped eigther in the bottom of a chassis, with loads of cold air and fans facing up from under the chassis - that means a chassis without bottom, or in the front of the chassis, fans pushing air in.

No chassis/case so far can do that in a proper way. Pushing hot air from inside the chassis is only making things worse.

I mention this, because the review isnt taking saying anything about it and people might see something a lot different than what the test says. Guru3d should equip coolers in chassis, not to do the test in an openair test bench. A test bench doesnt really give a good idea of how good things works in real life.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This is an enthusiast forum,the H100 is far from Enthusiast Hardware,this crap belongs in PC World.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, you're slightly incorrect. the antec darkfleet df-85 and the antec twelve hundred v3 have two exhaust 120mm fans in the back and top exhaust fans as well (dual 140mm fans in the darkfleet and a 200mm in the twelve hundred). in these two cases, you can mount the corsair h100 on the rear as intake and rely on the top fan for exhaust, which will give very good results.

it would also work on silverstone cases as silverstone cases like my raven-2 rotate the motherboard 90 degrees and then have large fans on the bottom. i could just remove one of the big fans and sit the radiator down on the bottom and have it sucking in cool air from the outside.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why!?

If it works well, than who cares if it comes assembled or not? Not as much of an E-Penis then?

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Why did hilbert review it then ? i really doubt that the average guy would buy such a cooler.

10. J. Doe

J. Doe Guest

lol. Alright, the 50 GPH pump can't properly make use of a bigger rad to begin with. Also, a 240 is sufficient for most chips, there your original statement doesn't make much sense either. Besides, even most "enthuasiast"s don't have room for bigger rads in their case. So... speaking of rads, guess mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's a lot of know it alls and epeen stuff in this thread apparantly.

Guys, not everybody can afford to spend so much money on an LCS setup. Most of your CPU waterblocks are almost as expensive as this entire kit. So yes, you will notice that in performance.

As the article states this is fairly high-end cooling with gorgeous looks. But it's not enthusiast cooling (which costs what 200~300 EUR?), nobody is disputing that.

After testing the H100 I have no doubt in my mind its a good cooler for the money. Heck for the onces that noticed it before we had to pull the results, we have been able to lift a LGA 2011 Sandy-Bridge-E setup to 5 GHz on all six cores at fairly acceptable temps with this H100.

Not a bad deal, 89 EUR for an easy to install all in one kit.

12. J. Doe

J. Doe Guest

Υeah... one thing to note though are the single rad kits like the H80; not sure about pricing there but they should be better P/P. However, yes, the H100 is a likeable AIO hence the 240 rad. It's the best AIO. But if you're going to build your own, go big or go home. :D

13. POTRM

POTRM New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 560GTX Ti Dual SLI
    H100 is alright imo. Keeps a 2600K happy at 4.7 for me. Had to get this cooler though, since nothing bigger fits in a Corsair 600T SE. Full loops are too much work really. Plus a hassle if you've gotta remove the mobo. This is far easier. I do wish I could get some EK gear however. :/

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I find it a bit disturbing that CNPS 9900 MAX makes less noise, costs 30€ less and has lower temps... This H100 might be a bit of a problem to install to a normal case. Performance "issues" might be because CPU was not overclocked far enough to cause maximum thermal load.

BTW: Not sure how much real difference there is between there:

So, for overcloking, which one would be better, 9900MAX or H100 ? Friend is buying cooler for his Sandy Bridge cpu, just wondering about what I should recommend. Prolly somenthing worth like 40€.

15. J. Doe

J. Doe Guest

No way for a Zalman CNPS to beat the H100, like not even close. The old flower design used on those coolers has been beaten by the TRUE, then by HDT coolers and lastly, twin-tower heatsinks like the NH-D14. The H100 on the other hand equals or beats any air. The only thing going for the CNPS is chipset cooling as it blows air from the side over your chipset to drop NB temps. I'd either go with a Silver Arrow/Noctua for less noise (if you don't care about size), or shoot for the H100.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011

16. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Check the reviews on GURU3D J.Doe...

17. Sutura

Sutura Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GT210 0.5/1680x1050
    I don't know. Corsair are a famous brand, they have nice stuff. But I don't get it with these series. I mean if I am budget minded and buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003 , plus eventually a performance fan of Noctua it will still be cheaper with a lot. And the results will be more than satisfying.

18. J. Doe

J. Doe Guest

Nothing to check. If there's a difference in test beds, then it'll pop-up. It's common knowledge that this design doesn't even come close to a H100. Not sure where you're getting your info from, but I had the CNPS 9700 and my Megahalems blew it away by a good 5-10C. After that, both the SA and the NH-D14 beat the TRUE and the Mega by a few degrees. Lastly, the H100 cools just as good, if not a bit better than those coolers. So the Zalman will not compare to it. It's a waste of money as of now; why do you think people opt for different coolers instead? Even the H50 is better than the CNPS.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The CNPS 9900 MAX and the 10X series make all the difference my man. Look arround at reviews on the web for proof on that, not just Guru3D.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    The article states the ambient temps were 2-3 degrees higher due to no ac, lcs is generally only measured in degrees delta over ambient as the liquid will not be cooler than ambient, therefore take 3 degrees c off the h100 temps
    and you'll notice it outperforms every other cooler in that chart.