Corsair Force GT dead - again!

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by mp_3, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mp_3

mp_3 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Greetings,

My currently Corsair Force GT 120gb SSD died just minutes ago. Suddenly everything froze on my screen followed by a beautiful BSOD with code 0x00000f4. When I try to boot I get the error 0x000000e.

Also, when I try to repair or reinstall Windows 7, the disk is no where to be found. In BIOS it is also gone.

The SSD is from november 2011, so I am kinda curious why it died that fast!

What would be my preferred choice in this case?
    1) RMA the SSD and start to use a new Corsair Force GT 120gb
    2) RMA the SSD and get my money back - then buy a new SSD from either Corsair, Kingston etc.?

What am I best served with?
    If the answer is to buy a new SSD, which should I choose? I've been looking at the Kingston HyperX SSD, but I haven't read any reviews etc.

I am open to suggestions.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Sucks to hear you are having issues with your Force GT.

I have 240GB models since they launched, and updated to the latest firmware and it's running great.

If you aren't careful you can brick it by selecting the wrong serial number for your SSD. The flash utility actually tells you the number to choose in the firmware download folder to use.

Maybe you should try a 240GB model?

I have family that runs 60GB models just for faster everyday use and they have been great too.

I'd give OCZ or Kingston a try if you aren't wanting Corsair. I honestly think though you just hit a bad drive and someone is sending you refurbs or junk back.

If it was me I don't think I'd give up on Corsair Force GT drives.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  3. mp_3

mp_3 Active Member

GPU:
    I gave the disk a time-out and suddenly it booted?!

I have no explanation why. My thought is that it is just a matter of time when it start acting weird again?

I think I'm going to try the Kingston HyperX SSD if it's possible to have my money back.

4. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Happened to me two times with my GT(60GB).
    I've been looking for some explanation for this and the only thing that i found was that it needs to be restarted (sort of). The guy i spoke with (Corsair technician) said that in a very rare occasion drive will refuse to start and it has to be disconnected for some time and then it will work as usual.

5. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
  6. mp_3

mp_3 Active Member

GPU:
    Does this mean that the problem may occur again? I am thinking whether I should return the disk or not using the warranty.

7. mp_3

mp_3 Active Member

GPU:
    The program cost money to use/register. I am do not believe that this is an error only able to be solved by buying software.

8. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I personally have a Force GT 90 that is used as a boot drive and haven't bad any issues yet. I also have used a Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD (Sandforce too) that doesn't have issues. Samsung 830 128 and 256 in my other computers work fine too. It seems that the issues are particularly rare so you probably don't have to worry about it unless you get it again, meaning maybe your drive has slight defects. You should definately RMA it if it happens again. You can also consider Samsung drives as they are stable and fast too and is a good alternative.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Not trying to hijack the thread, its relevant to this thread and my own curiosity :D

What about the OCZ Vertex 4? Come July/early August it would be a choice between that and the Samsung 830 for me.

10. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    all you have to do is unplug power and SATA cable then wait 5 minutes.
    I have mine SSD from the 1st day it was on the market and it happened twice, no other problems with it. Can't be bothered with RMA.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

11. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    My C300's and M4's all have over 8000 uneventful hours.
    As does my Intel 320...

My 2c.

-scheherazade

12. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    scheherazade, how do you afford such a powerful computer man? Plus how many SSDs do you have?

13. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I just work... not much to it.
    After a few bills, I've just got money left over for whatever.

That said, your computer is as fast as mine... so I take it you're kidding?

6 SSDs in my main computer.

A few others in a laptop and HTPC, and a spare M4 that I haven't figured out what to do with

The spare M4 was gonna be a recording drive for the HTPC, but nothing good is on TV that I can't already watch online, so I never put it to use.
    The HTPC ended up being a netflix/hulu portal for a projector...

-scheherazade