Corsair Crystal 570X high temps

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netherwind, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    I previously bought a 460X which I returned due to way higher temps than my current Define S. During Black Friday I found a good deal for the 570X which I thought would be better since it's a bigger case but still my GPU temps are crazy high and I have no idea why.

I've populated this case with five fans in total (already included SP120 RGB plus two more) and they're running at about 1100RPM which is loud but tolerable (any higher and they really get too loud). I tried playing Mass Effect Andromeda which is a demanding game making the GPU run at 99% all the time. The GPU runs at up to 77 degrees with the fan RPM up to 73%.

In comparison my Define S populated with two AF140 fans, one AF120 and one FD 140mm fan at ~850RPM make the card run at 73 degrees with the fam RPM up to 60%.

Is is the tempered glass that heats up the card? If I remove the side panel I get a drop in temperatures of two degrees. Maxing out the case fans only decrease the temps with one degree.

2. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Did you tried remove front glass panel if this does help with better airflow?

How many intake and exhaust fans do you have?

Other than that if you are still have old case, can you try use there yours old fans what temperatures you will have

Other suggestions,can you try remove all unused PCI_E slots?

These cases with tempered glass usually don't have best airflow

If removing side panel will drop temperatures by 2°C that's not a lot

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    Hi.

I didnt try that but there is so much clearance on the sides (almost more than on my Define S) that I can't believe it's air starved.

I have three intake and two exhaust (all SP120s).

I could have tried my AF140 fans, you're right but I've already put the case back in the box.

I only have one PCI_E card and that's my graphics card.

Anyway, I've ordered the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (Tempered Glass edition) with two extra fans. We'll see how that one performs. Also, I was thinking about getting the Dark Base 700 like I originally wanted that one since it has a sound dampening system but hopefully I can run the fans in the Enthoo case at low speeds just like I'm doing in my Define S.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    Should've just stuck with the Define case mate ;)

Not-being-helpful aside, I was impressed with the Define R5. Silent and good cooling capacity even with only the default fan setup (two in front). I only bought one more identical fan and put it to back exhaust.

Well, also removed the side panel fan cover and replaced it with a magnetic dust guard for additional venting.

Btw what type of cooler does your graphics card have, blower or open?
    Also I assume you don't have side panel fans as the panel is glass?

5. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

This is problem with cases which have glass front or non vented front/top panels, they look awesome but they just don't have best airflow...

I would try other fans as well, this I will do as first, but if its in box then I wouldn't do that, but is up to you

Regarding the removing unused PCI_E slots, I mean unused PCI_E covers which should be easy, I mean this

[​IMG]

Enthoo Pro M should perform better in my view, but I would recommend remove as first unused PCI_E slot covers for time being this would help with GPU temperatures

With 140mm fans you should be pushing more air than with 120mm fans and mainly you can run fans at lower speeds

I usually run my 140mm fans at slower speeds than 120mm fans

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    I still have the case just in case :D Actually I could just buy a window panel for the Define and be done with it.

Yes, it's pretty amazing how good these cases are, the only boring part is the design.

I have a Gaming X so 3rd party cooler and you are right that there isn't a side panel.

The Crystal 570X is back at my retailer (great company btw for taking it back but I was also very very gentle with it). Tomorrow I should receive the Enthoo Pro M, one extra SSD bracket and two Phanteks XP140 fans.

I understand what you mean now but I suppose that will make the case take in more dust? After all my fan config will be 2 in and 2 out which won't produce a positive pressure (or negative for that part).

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    Yeah Define cases aren't very "blingy" but that's actually also why I got one, the design is sleek and simple.

For open GPU coolers fan configuration can be tricky as the cooler exhausts heat into the case from the sides. So using a intake side panel fan may actually harm cooling of the graphics card, for example.

I've found having an opening / grill in the side panel (without a fan) can help cool the graphics card as the cooler can suck cool air via the opening but also exhaust heat as needed. Ofc that's not possible with a glass panel...

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    You are right about the side panel. I did some testing but having a side fan only helped a little and having it as an exhaust fan didn't do that much. Probably best to let the card handle it by itself by just having the panel open.

9. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

At least yours retailer is good and allows you to return without any hassle and questions

These Phanteks PH-F140XP are nice fans, have tried them on my case and I really like them a lot, at 800-1000RPM they're push nice amount of air and you can only hear them if you are really need push them or run them above 1100-1200RPM

Regarding the removing unused PCI_E slots covers and dust issues, I always remove all unused PCI_E slot covers on my cases and didn't have issues with dust, when I run air cooled CPU and GPUs, in my Enthoo Primo I run front 2*140mm fans set as intake, bottom fans set as intake and one exhaust fan, fans I run at 750-850RPM as max, with Enthoo Primo I raised case by 10-20cm just for reason bring colder air to case, done few tests with top filter in place and removed, with top filter in place temperatures has been around 2-4°C higher on CPU, no difference in GPUs temperatures and with top filter removed my CPU temperatures dropped by 2-4°C on PKG, tried to place there 2*140mm fans but this didn't changed temperatures a lot, used like Noctua A15 fans or Thermalright TY-147A and difference has been only marginal

In Phanteks Enthoo Pro M I would try remove unused PCI_E slot covers as first and check what temperatures you will have with slot covers in place and removed

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    Yep, they're epic.

Since two PH-F140MP are already included I thought about taking the one in the back and place it in the front. Then I'd take one XP fan and put it in the back and the other at the top/back of the case. That should be enough :)

I'll try the thing with the PCI-E brackets too.

11. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

I would put PH-F140MP at front, don't use different fans at front, you can try use at front XP as well fans and you will see which fans you will like more

XP or MP fans are very similar, just difference is mainly in max RPM

As top/back you can experiment with setting this fan as intake or exhaust, but I would try as first set fan as intake which could help bring colder air to case and CPU cooler

Yes I would try removing PCI_E slot covers as first and you will see if this does helps, I run that on all my cases, try run with and without the PCI_E slot covers and check temperatures

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks, Jura

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    Correction, I never bought XP fans since they don't exist in Sweden. I bought these:
    http://phanteks.com/PH-F140TS.html
    (more on that later).

So I build the computer yesterday using the Enthoo Pro M and here are my three main disappointments:
    ¤ The front mesh grill is not aligned with the fans meaning either the top 120mm fan or part of the top 140mm fan will be obscured
    ¤ The front I/O cables are pre-routed to span across the top fan
    ¤ You have to unscrew the front I/O to be able to access the top-left screw hole

I also don't like that the PSU cover has a cutout to show off the PSU brand, it's simply not necessary. And finally, it's cheap of Phanteks not to include one additional SSD bracket.

The good is that the case is really easy to build in and there is so much space for cables! I used extenders from Phanteks to make the build a little nicer and they still fit partly in the PSU shroud. Cable routing was also easy with the Velcro. I also like the design, it's simplistic and clean.

Now how does it perform? The MP fans seem to move a good amount of air and are quiet on low and medium speeds (50-75% RPM). While playing Overwatch on low RPM I got the same temps as in my Define S. When I launched Mass Effect Andromeda things got more sweaty but still stayed at 73 degrees (though with higher GPU fan RPM) and I obviously had to run all chassis fans at 75% so that test goes in favor of the Define S.

The letdown are the TS fans. First of all, the one in the back emits a strange sound like the motor is broken (but seems to move air). The one which I placed at the top/back of the case works fine but doesn't seem to exhaust any air at all, so I'm not sure how to proceed. The top has both a mesh plus a dust filter and the fans aren't screwed directly on the mesh but more on a removable radiator component.

I can get hold of two PH-F140SP and maybe one PH-F140MP (though very expensive). I'll also try my Corsair AF140s just in case.

13. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

PSU cover cutout, many people do like to show their PSU but its up to people there...

Yes SSD mount they should include there, that's for sure..

But yes I agree with building in Phanteks cases, have Enthoo Primo and there building is very easy, some bits I would change but that's me nitpicking

Regarding the fans, I have never run TS fans and comment on how they sounds, have only Phanteks PH-F120MP, PH-F140MP and PH-F140SP and PH-F140XP fans plus few Thermalright TY-143 and TY-147A which I prefer more but these are sometimes harder to find

MP fans are nice with this I agree, running these on radiators and as intake fans

But yes I agree as well with Mass Effect Andromeda, this game will push GPU to knees and what I remember this game on my air cooled Zotac GTX1080 AMP there I saw easy 78-82°C with 80% fan profile, under water temperatures are in 36-38°C as max...

Regarding the fans and running fans faster or slower in gaming,I recommend creating specific profiles if its possible, this I done on friend PC

As I said, putting top back fan as exhaust this will not make such difference, you can try remove top filter or turn top back fan as intake, you can place this fan above CPU or move towards to front of the case this will or can feed CPU cooler with colder air...

I would return fans there, if they emit noise then return it, they shouldn't emit any noise, can you place finger on motor if noise stops? Just keep fingers from rotor there..

Did you tried to remove PCI_E slot covers if this does improve temperatures?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    I'll return both TS fans since they are broken. When they face down they act normally but when they stand up (for example attached to the back of the case) they emit a strange sound that is very annoying. I finally took both out and just held them straight up (buzz) and then shifted them to a lay down position (silent). I temporarily put my AF140 in the back (damn, those are good fans). I'll talk to my retailer and see what we can do.

I don't see any reason to remove the dust filter at the top of the case and have the fans act as intake fans , partly due to dust and partly since the CPU already gets cold air from the top fan.

About PCI-E I have not yet removed them since I noticed that there are perforated holes just next to the GPU. The glass doesn't feel that hot when playing games and I did play some AC:Origins yesterday with Vcore at max but I still got the same temps as my Define S (with all fans at 75% as usual when I'm playing graphically intensive games).

I'll make adjustments if necessary :)

Thanks for your advice.

15. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Yes I would return fans if they make any unusual noise or when they buzz, this has happened with ML120 which I bought for friend build, one of the fans started to make unusual noise at low RPM and we are returned fans

I done few tests on my old Enthoo Primo, please read above my reply with removed top panel or top filter which has helped with better temperatures but in yours case hard to say if this does helps but for this trying shouldn't cost you anything

Yes dust issue can arise if you remove top filter but in my case I run without the top filter during the rendering or during the stress testing

I wouldn't use top back fan as exhaust, this can cause few issues but you can try both set as intake or exhaust

With removing PCI_E slot covers yes I agree my are too perforated or they allowed pass airflow but still they can cause restrictions, do few tests with and without and you will see if its worth it to have or not

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura