Corrupted Graphics on 7900 GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Australis, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    My GeForce 7900 GT starts having artifacts.
    Unfortunately, we cannot RMA our damaged graphics card in Hong Kong. That kind of perfect after-sales service is nowhere to be found here.
    I told the manufacturer Inno3d the problem I encountered but they did not even give me a whisper.
    Using a iCute PC suitcase with a large fan at the front, I think the 7900 GPU sucked too much dust in. But I am more willing to get a replacement than to fix the card.
    :chainsaw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    WOW.... didnt had any idea that so many people have problems with 7900GT, i bought my yesterday and absolutely everything flows like water so far. But damn you guys are scaring me! :(

3. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    If youre looking to replace it get something cheap to tide you over till march or whenever it is that you get the low-mid range DX10 cards, theyl destroy any mid range DX9 cards like the 7900GT or even the 7950GT cards even if your only going for the 8600GT. I reccommend however that you go for either the 320mb 8800GTS or the 8600Ultra.

4. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Come on DX10 games! Give me an excuse to buy a new card & vista

5. Ptc1800

Ptc1800 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GT
    Yeah my 7900GT card went bad on me too. I sent it for RMA and MSI sent me an even worse card. Now they keep sending me the same card every time I RMA to them. I HATE MSI!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. mar-one

mar-one Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga / GTX550Ti / SLI 4g
    I just bought a second 7900 GT and went bad now back to just one, I think I will wait a little longer and 8 cards will come down in price

7. damage^

damage^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
    Well, my card is called "ASUS EN7900GT 256MB PCI-E" and everything works like a dream... just to make sure it worked nice, i put it the whole day yesterday on extremly hard work. Tested it over and over on: (stock)
    3DMark 2001 (32.154 pts, no problems at all),
    3DMark 2003 (19.110 pts, no problems at all),
    3DMark 2005 (9149 pts, no problems at all),
    3DMark 2006 (4740 pts, no problems at all),

It laughs at games like Oblivion, BF2, Quake 4, it runs so easy and smooth at highest settings that it made me thinking "WTF? This must be Quake 1 ?" hehe.
    So yes! Im happy, i guess i must be the first guy who got a fully functional 7900GT? :D

PS: I dont think we are helping the thread opener to much hehe

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    i hear that. i see no need to go to a dx 10 card or cards yet. i want some of the vista bugs ironed out or at least slopily patched:thumbup:

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Australis what are your temperatures at iddle and full load, might be overheating.

10. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    My 7900 GT has served me for 9 months only.

But wait, my GPU temperature is not have blastingly high in idle state, only at 51 degrees.:eatme2: :eatme2:

11. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    I am sad to let you know a piece of bad news.:smack:

The card manufacturer has responded to my inquiry clarifying that no trade-in can be made for my damaged VGA card.

What?

My mind is quite blank. No way will I use mid-range cards again after tasting the power of a high-end card but I cannot afford another...

I predict that my dad will pay for a next-generation card for me but not the same era card.

Will a 8600 Ultra outperform my 7900 GT? How much it says it will cost?

Thanks in advance.

12. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    There are IRC on the back of the 7900gt that get very hot and early models had problem like yours. Try googling about hotspots on that back of 7900gt's and put some heatsinks on them.

13. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Sorry for that I can't follow what you said but I really appreciate your contribution to resolving my GPU's faults though.:thumbup:

I don't want to screw up my warranty by modifying the card. It would mean an end of official help to save my 7900.

Even so, I am growing interest in the GeForce 8600 Ultra card.:boozer:

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    er... you have a warranty?

15. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Quite a crappy type of warranty. Told you guys no RMA service already, so it at most worths a 'bodycheck' or a more preferable 'fixing' only.

All in all, leaving the GT untouched must be better than messing with it.:grin:

16. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Well, I'm going to take my 79GT to the reseller to try to fix it.

If they fail, I may skip PC gaming for a while and buy and enjoy an Xbox 360 instead.

There is nothing more you guys can do for me, but thank you for those who replied.

17. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gs 256mb @650/1900
    WAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT. Try underclocking your card from stock speeds first. I was getting artifacts on my 7900gs because there was not enough juice flowing to it. Thankfully, i was able to get it to run fine by using an adapter to supply it with power. But before you give up, try severely underclocking it ;)

18. baldie911

baldie911 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 SLI
    Australis i have the same problem as you, do you aslo get the lines on desktop and funny coloured dots everywere on the screen?

19. Giovanni[aCe]

Giovanni[aCe] Member

GPU:
    xfx geforce 7950 gt extreme 512mb
    I got a xfx 7950gt extreme but it runs bat !!!
    what drivers must i install??????????

20. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Please allow me to apologize for replying you so late. Neither my PC nor my broadband is amusing me.:bolt:

I feel so sorry about you too. And yes, I have white dots all over my screen after I turn on my computer but before logging into Windows.

This PC has also broken its record: crashing in games (e.g. Tomb Raider Legend).:bat: