1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupted Font wi/AMD Cards

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Pale Rider, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    As to the 1st part. Yes, CCC is not explained well. Try to uncheck "Reduce DVI Frequency on high-resolution displays."
    And then uncheck "Alternate DVI operational mode."
    And if you do not have black borders around edges of screen with Disabled GPU up-scalling in that menu, I would keep it disabled.

For the 2nd part: I had no problem to right click desktop which displays context menu and then pressing <Prt Scr> key on keyboard and pasting this menu to mspaint.
    - You are probably only person with this corruption issue, but others had even problems to set full 2560x1600 resolution for some DisplayPort cable was not detected and so on. (not an problem free monitor)
    - your "pixel clock: 268.5mhz" tells you this: 2560 * 1600 * 60Hz = 245,760,000Hz = 245.76MHz minimum frequency used. Then there are pixels around which are not displayed and some other stuff transmitted which gets in total to 268.5MHz. (Given frequency tells you what kind payload goes via cable.)
    1920x1080@120Hz requires bit more data, so cable should not be an issue, even average DVI can get it done without corruption.

2. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X
    I own two U3011 in the past (now 2xU3014) and 7970, the below are my experience:
    1. the U3011 have 100DPI, so it it good to have windows set to 104% scaling
    2. using DP or DVI have no different in terms of image quality, the DP on U3011 is ver. 1.1, and DVI may show strange screen image sometime, this depends on the version of your U3011, ver A05 and up is much less buggy
    3. NEVER use the GPU up-scaling in CCC, the U3011 will take care of it, and give you much better quality (check the OSD)
    4. both Reduce DVI frequency/Alternate DVI operational mode is NOT NEED for U3011, the Reduce DVI frequency is only need if you have cheap DVI cable or some bad monitor, as you got DP cable, it is better to use it.
    5. there exist some dp cable with wrong wiring, those cable will make the monitor act strange, the DP cable come with the U3011 is a good one.
    6. Native resolution for U3011 is 2560x1600@60Hz

3. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
  4. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Thank you. I'm using Windows 7 x64 Pro.
    I seriously doubt that I'll ever change to Windows 8, but I will take a good, long look at Windows 9.
    I just opened the Dell U3011 (digital) Properties, and it has a message in it:
    "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"
    It wasn't there before, this is the 1st time I've seen it.
    Any idea what it means?

5. BrianJ_64

BrianJ_64 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Try to make a image with your camera? Sometimes the image you capture is different from whats actually shown because of something that'll be pretty long to explain.(For example it could be your monitor itself).

Make a image with your camera when it happens and post it here.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think your desktop settings are incorrect.

From the looks of that font I'd say your DPI is not 100%...which is where it should be normally.

Edit-
    And turn off GPU upscaling.

7. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I know you have used DDU etc but try this anyway and do all steps:

- Download AMD 14.91 beta from here.
    - Download Intel HD graphics from your motherboard page.
    - Download DDU 1.3.4.1.0: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/downloads.html
    - Download Ghostbuster: http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com/
    - Download CCleaner: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

- Run a /sfc scannow (preferrably using this method: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html)

- Run DDU to go to safemode
    - Remove AMD first, ticking all the boxes and reboot
    - Repeat for Intel HD and reboot
    - Repeat for Nvidia and reboot

- Right-click ghostbuster and go properties and unblock it.
    - Run it
    - Rightclick to hide un-filtered, and right-click each red/ghosted device (except for the very top one with all the random numbers) and click add device. Then click to remove ghosted. They should all turn purple and green.

- Restore default fonts
    - Go to start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts (or you can just type “fonts” in control panel)
    - Select Font settings on the left
    - Select Restore default font settings.

- Run CCleaner and tick Font Cache and run cleaner. Run registry cleaner and untick all except for fonts.

- Reboot

- Install drivers for AMD and Intel HD.

- Disable both AMD and Intel HDMI audio.

- Finish off with a /sfc scannow if the first one found anything.

:pc1:

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified

I appreciate this tutorial, but exactly what does it do to my computer?
    How much chance is there that my computer will never function again?
    The last part, "- Finish off with a /sfc scannow if the first one found anything.". What is the First One and what should it have found?
    I am unfamiliar with all of these programs, except CCleaner, which is one of the 1st apps I download and then use daily. It's also a very dangerous program unless you know exactly what you're doing with it.
    What should I look for when all is done as stated?
    I've downloaded all the programs to my desktop. Everything is ready to go. I have copied all the instruction steps.
    Will all this have to be done again when my new ARES 3 is installed in its new computer?
    The computer that it is in now, is just a temporary computer that will have a pair of new Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 cards installed when this ARES 3 goes into its own computer, whenever I can find the time to build it.
    Again, thanks for this amount of detailed help.

Here is the download page for my motherboard: http://us.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_XPOWER_AC.html#down-driver&Win7 64 64
    Which of the downloads am I supposed to use?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    DDU uninstalls and clears all known trace of the GPU drivers.

10. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+
    I run a similar setup and have never experienced something like that. Maybe a setting on the monitor itself?
    My settings are;

Menu:
    Color Settings;
    Input Color: RGB
    Gamma: PC
    Preset: Standard

Display Settings;
    Wide Mode: Fill
    Sharpness: 50

Other Settings;
    DDC/IC: Enable
    LCD Conditioning: Disable

You really shouldn't have to do anything on the software side with either dvi or dp with or without drivers for a clear picture

Edit- Btw, what is iconoid? maybe the issue since it messes with icons and text? Also whats acpi driver installer? Never seen that one

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Ideally, all you would have to do is download a Ubuntu disc image, burn it to a DVD, and boot from it. Then once you're at the desktop, just open up Firefox (it's sitting on the left-side on the launcher bar), observe text (can fire up a few other programs if you want), and when you're done, just reboot, take out the disc, and that's it.

If you need the latest Utopic image, it's here (64-bit).

12. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080

First you're downloading the required tools and drivers to install later on. When you uninstall drivers it goes to 800x600 or some other ugly low resolution. Best to download those drivers now so you don't have to download them later.

Then you are doing a simple windows integrity check to make sure you have no corrupted system files that could be causing the problem. System files can get corrupt every time your computer doesn't shut down properly.

You then uninstall your current video drivers completely and remove all traces of both nvidia and amd so it's like you have never installed one of those drivers before. Removing intel is just in case the igpu settings are interfering (display extension). This is the most important step.

After that, ghostbuster removes all traces of hardware that has been connected to your computer but no longer exist. Your previous graphics cards for example. Second most important step.

Since it's either a windows problem, a drivers problem or a font problem, we have checked 2 of them and now need to check if it's a simple font problem. So we reset the fonts on the computer as some could be corrupt (optional, as it will remove fonts you have downloaded). Then delete the font cache so it will rebuild on reboot.

After all of this you can install your AMD and intel hd video card drivers. Optionally disable the hdmi audio for both devices as you don't use them and the AMD ones make opening the sound and devices page stall.

You can do this on both computers, it doesn't matter. You will need to repeat the DDU and ghostbuster step when you change video cards to a different vendor (AMD to Nvidia) which is what you are doing. None of these steps will break your computer or stop it from working.

13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Thank you Setka. I understand now.

(Wait a minute. Didn't I just say that I removed the SSD I was using, replaced it with a brand new, blank SSD and then reinstalled Windows?
    There are no drivers on this SSD other than the latest AMD WHQL drivers!
    There never have been any other drivers. I downloaded them from the AMD site and not off the CD that came with this card.
    Why should I run all these programs to remove any left over drivers when there aren't any there that need to be removed?
    The one thing that the AMD forum said that made any sense, was to use only WHQL drivers and never use the Beta's.
    I must've been dreaming about this since I just woke up, it's 4:17 AM here, and composed this edit.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  14. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Okay, I went ahead and did everything just as you said.
    There's no change whatsoever.
    One thing though.
    I typed icon into the search box, and nothing came up except True Type and Personalization.
    Neither of which mentions anything to with the font cache.
    It appears that in Windows 7 x64 Pro, there is no access to the icon cache.
    I searched Microsoft Help and found the following page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/answers?tId=423342d5-a0e9-437f-aa56-68a2aa37ac8f
    I went through the 1st suggestion of that page; I changed the resolution to 2560 x 1600 16 bit, confirmed and saved it, then I went back and set it to 2560 x 1600 32 bit, confirmed and saved that.
    No change.
    I then tried the 2nd suggestion:
    I opened command and typed each of the following commands and hit Enter after each one:
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

shutdown /r

This will, supposedly, rebuild the icon cache.
    I'll edit this post after I see what happens.

(Nope. After either the 2nd or 3rd command prompt, a mss. came up that my icon cache could not be found. How could I not have an icon cache?
    What now?)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    I don't know what I've done, but suddenly everything on screen is clear as a bell.
    All I did was turn my computer off, reinstalled the DP cable and turned the computer back on.
    Maybe all those apps I just ran needed the computer to be completely turned off, instead of restarted or logged-off as they all said in their instructions.
    Whatever it was, thanks to all who've been so patient with me and gave me so much help.
    The only thing, I sure wish I knew for sure what was done right, so I could recommend, whatever it was, to everyone else with this aggravating problem.
    Thanks, again.

16. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Hmm for some reason I was under the impression that you were installing your ARES 3 on a old windows system since you used DDU to remove your previous drivers. If it was a fresh windows install then those steps didn't do anything. As for the icon cache, you only needed to rebuild the font cache and not the icon cache. I'm glad that the problem was fixed though but I wouldn't know what fixed it.

17. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+
    Probably dust or a loose connection with the cable more than anything software

18. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Nope. Post 6 of this thread.
    It's easy to miss such things. I've done it more times than I can possibly remember.

I'd like to see if my pair of Lightning cards work, now.
    But I'm afraid to change anything since it took so very long to somehow get it right with this ARES 3.
    If I only knew what I did to get this thing to finally run properly.
    Oh well. I'm building a new computer now and I'll try the Lightning's in it.
    If the same thing happens, then I'm selling those cards and buying a pair of GTX 980's.
    I'm really sick of AMD cards.
    (I wonder when the ARES 4's will be out? :) )

19. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I wouldn't knock AMD cards. You are like the only person ever to have had this problem. It could have been anything.

20. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I have just experienced exactly the same problem w/ a Nvidia GT 610 card after I hooked up a new monitor, a Dell US2711 (2560x1440.) Gave up after an hour trying to make it work (went back to the old monitor at 1920x1200.) So apparently it has nothing to do w/ the GFX card manufacturer or driver... System was W7P64. The only thing I did possibly "wrong" was that I hot-swapped the monitor, probably should have shut down the system :/ Funny thing was that the magnifying tool would make the text readable (albeit at 200% size.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014