Corrupt HDD Problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Goff, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Goff

Goff Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 55nm SSC
    Hey all

I'm currently having a problem with another pc of mine

Sempron 2800
    Asus K8N
    512mb DDR266
    Geforce 4 Mx440
    350W Generic PSU

Ive now had 3 corrupt hdd's on this pc, 2 seagate and 1 hitachi. I did originally believe it was the hdd dying but now i think the mobo is killing them. All of the hdd's have been ide, so could it just be a dodgy ide port and can i get away with using a sata hdd? or will i actually have to spend some time and get the mobo replaced?

Feel free to leave any advice

Cheers

2. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Exactly how do you turn your computer off?
    If you 'hard-off' the computer - *ever*, then you're damaging your HDD(s)
    By 'hard-off', I mean holding the power button for more than 5 seconds, unplugging the computer from the wall while it's running, or simply turning the power supply button off while it's running.
    Never, ever 'hard-off' a computer. (don't know if you already know that, but I believe it could be important to someone that doesn't know if they stumble upon this thread)

There is also a chance that 'brown outs' from electrical failure are causing it (not your fault, but the local electric company) - a quality Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) can fix that in about 1/100000 of a second. - Quality UPS' now have 'line-conditioning' which outputs a constant voltage/amperage, no matter what they are receiving...I have 6 of them for various computers, entertainment center, etc.

I'd also check your PSU...make sure the voltages that you read in BIOS match what it says on the sticker on the side of the PSU...if not, or if they fluctuate +- 2% of what the sticker says, it could be a faulty PSU 'zapping' the HDDs with too much or too little juice.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Psychlone

3. Goff

Goff Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 55nm SSC
    well its actually my dad's pc that he gave to me because he couldnt be asked to fixed it. As far as im aware he'll always turn a computer off properly. Also there was originally a 250w psu inside it but i replaced it with a 350w psu i had in another old pc that worked fine. The computer has always been plugged into a surge protector and have had no problems with power in the house so dont think it'll be that.

4. Sam_S

Sam_S New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti
    So what would you do if you got a BSOD and everything was frozen? I almost never have them, but when it happens is there a better strategy than just hitting the reset button? Some computers don't even have reset, just a power on/off.

Thanks.

Sam