Correct way to install drivers !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by yelsewshane, Jul 29, 2010.

1. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Makeing this post because I see so many of you makeing everything complicated and apparantly confused and then cry about ati drivers not working etc etc sick of it. This is simple folks and trust me the amd driver team is smarter and knows better than prob 99.999 % of you just follow directions !

1. download new driver
    2. run new driver and choose uninstall older driver
    3. computer will reboot
    4. run new driver and choose install new driver
    5. computer will reboot

whola ! not that dam hard is it and believe it or not even your old settings are saved for you !

now for some of you stop complaining you have problem if you don't follow directions and think you must use driver cleaner, safe mode etc etc etc your a dufus and thats why you have problems do as instructed by the people that make the darn cards and whola no problems. I can tell you this for fact I have never had a problem with nvidia or amd drivers because I have a freaking brain and do as instructed not as some 3rd party idiot with crazy ideas on how to do it better. enjoy your non buggy drivers now geez

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Personally, I recommend downloading the new driver, using the uninstall for the old driver first, then using Driver Sweeper to remove left overs, then rebooting, installing new driver, and reboot once more.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    +1

This must be done when changing from ATI to Nvidia or vice versa as many people have reported left over files screwing with newer ones.

4. Egregious

Egregious Member

GPU:
    Mobility 5830 1GB GDDR3
    I haven't swept a driver in 3 years since I went ATI. Never had a problem. This isn't nVidia folks.

5. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    ATI leaves many files (about 14) behind each time you uninstall. It's nice to remove these so that they don't conflict in the future.

6. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    If you don't care about left over files and you beleive in AMD /ATi then you should just overwrite the driver with the new ones.

7. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    that is not the correct way to install driver, that is the AMD way of installing driver, even the head of the driver team is an idiot, because he once told us (using his twitter), that he never uninstall old driver, and that makes me wonder if he ever used catalyst, maybe he is secretly using Green stuff (that might explain why the driver is full of bugs).

8. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Do as you wish then as I said in original post I trust the people that makes the graphics cards than I would someone like some of you that ( THINK ) you know better than they do. Fact is follow amd's rules you never have a problem and follow the way some of you think you get problems simple as that. And as you say that is the way to install drivers the AMD way and I will do it their way not the way you think it should be done.

9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Lol..... alright. I'll just ignore all the irreversible blue screens and application crashes that appear when you try their way.... No.

10. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Haven't we been through this a couple of hundred times already? Why make a new thread, there are numerous guides for (un)installing drivers in this section.

11. Egregious

Egregious Member

GPU:
    Mobility 5830 1GB GDDR3
    Like I said though, 3 years is a decent amount of time to never have a driver related problem. This may also be because I don't play games right as they're released, but still. I cut the driversweeper crap when I moved on from nVidia and until I actually have a problem I won't be using it again.

It should also be mentioned that I don't uninstall the old drivers either, install them right over the top. Maybe all of the idiots who apparently do it the same way all of the idiots at ATI do it will continue enjoying our lack of driver related problems.

12. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    It depends on the situation. If I update to a new driver then I just install them on top of the other drivers. I only had a problem last month with the 10.6 drivers. They would BSoD on reboot. That was nasty. So I had to do the driver sweeper method and go back to an earlier version. This month I was able to use my preferred method again: On top of the older one. Let ATI deal with uninstalling the older stuff. That's what the installer is designed to do. ;)

BTW: I wasn't the only one with that problem last month. Lots of threads on the official forums about people having the same problem using Crossfire in 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and Vista.

13. nexuno

nexuno Guest

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    No the right way is letting CCC overwrite the old ones. Period.
    Then if you have problems you may try uninstall reboot sweeper reboot install reboot.
    Never had a single problem letting CCC doing its job anyway.

14. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    I do it like this and never had any problems:
    1. Download new Catalyst.
    2. Use the old Catalyst setup to uninstall.
    3. Reboot and enter Safe Mode.
    4. Run Driver Sweeper and clean ATI remains.
    5. Reboot.
    6. Run new Catalyst setup and install.
    7. Reboot.

The only time I had a problem installing was when I used the new catalyst setup to uninstall and didn't use driver sweeper.

15. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    590GTX HYDRO COPPER CLASS
    the way I install new driver:

1. Install new driver.
    2. done

I NEVER uninstall old driver. Since 9.12 (even beta's) I have never had any problem or lockup of any kind with my 5970+5870 XFIRE doing it that way. If I ever have an issue I may rethink it, but 100% stable for over a half a year this way, tells me I should not change.

I format my W7 OS array every couple months though too....could be maybe that is why I don't get conflict problems. But either way, never an issue installing overtop, CCC always shows me the new version I just installed.

16. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I think he is addressing the ignorant? btw I do the same thing +2

17. TheStrelok

TheStrelok New Member

GPU:
    MSI 4870 1GB
    I don't like Driver Sweeper because it only removes a few of the leftover files. TwK's cleaner is good, but I usually do it all manually. :)

Here is how I do it:

Download new drivers (usually TwK's)
    Uninstall, reboot.
    Remove ALL traces, reboot (because they are still in memory).
    Install, reboot.
    Tweaks, registry cleanup, reboot.
    Run NTREGOPT, reboot.
    Defragment, play a game.

Most of the times, it shouldn't even be necessary. It overwrites all the files anyway.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    this.

19. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Driver sweeper has damaged Win7 profiles a few times now, I kept getting Windows will log you in a temporary profile, so I steer clear of that.

Express uninstall all ATi software was designed for a specific reason, if there was considerable implications involved with driver upgrades or downgrades, ATi would be out of business by now due to support costs.

The installer/uninstaller are coded with good intelligence and coupling, Driver sweeper and the likes really are the last resort imho.

20. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I agree with the above. I have never used driver cleaner specifically for Nvidia/ATi and I've never encountered a problem, it's only when I try to just overwrite instead of uninstalling first.