Coreduo motherboard advice

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by the_jerboa_king, Aug 15, 2006.

1. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    I'm thinking of upgrading a E6600 and I'm after a bit of overclocking headroom. I'm not too fussed about cost, but would rather not spend too much if it's not needed...

The main thing I'm wondering is do you guys reckon it'll be worth waiting for the nForce series 5 chipsets for Intel? From what I've read the 975x (I think) are the best Intel ones around, is this right?

Also, does the manufacturer of the board make much difference to perfomance/overclocking abilities? I only ask I don't like ASUS, ASrock, Abit for various reasons, which leaves things like MSI, Gigabyte, Epox, DFI, Foxconn, Intel, or something else...

Finally... yes I know this is going on a bit. The conroe's have a 1066FSB, but I've seen a couple of things (can't remember where now) that suggest the ram doesn't actually run at that speed??? would that just have been the speed of what they happened to be using?

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I love my board!:banana:

3. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    ASUS and ASROCK been mean to you =(. Names dont matter. Performance does.

4. Chocolinx

Chocolinx Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi X1950 Pro 256MB
    Really my personal opinion. I've built several Conroes now at work lol. My favourite choices are Asus P5B Deluxe! That board rocks. Forget SLi or Crossfire! X1950XTX is all you need haha! But if you want to save money and you have a really good AGP card you want to keep, ASROCK is probably the only and best solution for that. And the board is dirt cheap. Like $60 CND.

5. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    I've only had one ASUS board and it was kinda my fault it had a problem... whole leaving the heatsink fan unplugged issue with a 2000+ running SETI... anyway... I've never been much of a fan the bulky driver sets I've seen with ASUS stuff and ASrock is literally a cheap ASUS. I dunno, I just never got a good vibe using ASUS even before I fried the poor thing...

I figured I would be spending between £70 and £150 on the mobo and I guess the main things are if nForce worth waiting for over Intel's 975x, who's got the good overclocking options and who's is quiet :)

<--- I've got a decent AGP card as you can see :) but I was thinking of going PCI-Express, I figure if I'm doing the rest I may as well do that as well! I was gonna get one card now, get an SLi/Crossfire board and maybe upgrade to a second one later... I figure the £1200 total for my upgrade was enough :/

6. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    as again get the board i have...

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    No, no, no! Get the board I have!:banana:

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    DS3 here... couldnt be better, best price sick performance

9. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    What are your NB temps with the DS3? Do you use any active cooling on it? For the price it seems like the absolute best C2D board, and I might pair it up with my E6400 if I can look past its lack of Crossfire support. And what's your max FSB also?

10. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD

Could you give some specifics on your system...I'm thinking of getting one almost exactly like it. How are your CPU teamps, how far can you OC your 6400, did you use arctic silver, did you use the stock HSF and can you post some benches please? thanks