1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core Voltage on MSI GTX 960 4GB

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by BJARTSKULAR, Aug 14, 2019.

1. BJARTSKULAR

BJARTSKULAR New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 4GB
    Hello guys,

until now i was absolutely satisfied with my MSI GTX 960 4GB Gaming but for the future I want to oc it by increasing my core voltage too. So I tried to increase my core voltage but unfortunately it didn't work. Of course I had enabled voltage control and voltage monitoring and I am able to type in a voltage increase but when i have a look at HWiNFO64 the max. core voltage is 1,212V and it doesn't matter whether I try to increase the voltage or not. (Picture 1 and 2)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Maybe my GPU doesn't support programmable voltage regulation but until now i wasn't able to find a current list of GPUs supporting this feature (for the current version of MSI Afterburner).
    So can someone help me to spot the mistake?

Greetings
    BJARTSKULAR

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    First, widen the first column in HWinfo64, look at the Performance limiters, some say yes.
    You could be hitting power limit, hard to say, or use GPU-Z sensor, easier to read.

Note on many 9xx cards the stock voltage is fine, though 1.212 is a little on the low end or the cards. Unless you want to get very highest OC's.
    My 970 does 1480 on stock voltages, the sweat spot IMO is around 1450-1500.

It could be the bios setup on voltage limit, the only way to see would be pull/extract the bios and read it with Maxwell bios tweaker editor, but it's been a long time since I messed with mine.

PS: If you can get stable steady 1500+, then stop and leave it, it is not worth it as your clocks are very high, performance increase slows down when hitting over 1500 in my experience.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:53 AM
    BJARTSKULAR likes this.
  3. BJARTSKULAR

BJARTSKULAR New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 4GB
    The performance limiters are Utilization and reliability voltage. As far as i know the performance limit reliability voltage means, that my GPU needs more voltage in order to boost higher with boost 3.0. (that is what I am trying). Furthermore i tried to find out what performance limit utilization exactly means and couldn't find a reliable answer but i think that just menas the performance is limited because my GPU is 100% used (so that limit is good).

I also think that the problem might be, that the core voltage is limited by settings in the BIOS. I also tried to find it in my BIOS (Gigabyte H97-HD3 version F8) but I do not succeded. So can someone explain me how can I change the voltage limit in the BIOS of my GPU? As far as I know it shoudn't be a problem to increase the voltage, because the temperatures in load are fine (about 60°C) and the GPU didn't hit the power limit so far.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok, That is normal on utilization(means the card was idle) and rel voltage is fine too.
    Vrel should be what you see while BM.
    I wouldn't mess with the voltage values in the bios as your clocks are already very good, raising voltage will only then bring on power limiter and temps limiter sooner.
    But if you really want to see, fire up GPU-Z, then extract the bios from your card (In GPU-Z the button right under Nvidia icon in the upper right corner).
    Then you can use Maxwell bios tweaker to see what the voltage sliders are set.

Do know messing with this can now cause an issue with new drivers not installing if you modify bios to much.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:52 PM

5. BJARTSKULAR

BJARTSKULAR New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 4GB
    A few minutes ago I just found a tutorial to flash my GPU bios but I won't do this, because the risk for this is too high for the use of it. It would be nice to increase the voltage but I don't want to complain about 1.212 V. Thank you a lot for your help even though I won't go higher with the voltage. I have learned a lot about overclocking and that is also something good.