Core i9-9900KS chips further binned to 5200 MHz - Sells for $1200

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Oh man, that's so true. I remember getting an E2180 dual core, default clock of 2GHz and OCd it to 3GHz (I couldn't push it any higher because of the crap nForce 650i board I was using at the time), that system just cost me £200 overall. Cheap as balls and faster than the stock E6600 or on par with it at a similar overclock.

Then roll on to a Q6600 and OCd that baby to 3.51Ghz it was glorious.

Such nostalgic times

Kool64 likes this.
  2. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I had an E6500 I managed to get up to 3.2 on a crappy Zalman cooler. I was quite stunned. Ended up upgrading to an E8500 so I could break the 4.0ghz barrier. Which it easily did. then came my last old school OC system of the i7 980 and it all went down hill from there.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i have to agree with you, my i-7700k is oced to 5.05ghz stable on prime for over 10 hours, i did put a lot of time into tweaking it, i mean its running samsung d-die at 3733. maybe your system is stable for your standard but like this user is saying its probably not stable in many other things, stable for gaming isnt stable 100 %, you ll come to a point where a game will make you crash, its only a matter of time

4. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    So it's the same as mine, I dropped to 5.0 from 5.2 after LinX failed on it :) I wonder if LinX shall run on the $1200 binned CPU lol

5. Angushades

Angushades Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    If you want a good and simple guide on checking for stability and I'm warning you now you may have to have a day without using the computer. I would recommend der8auer prime95 guide OR

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Many years ago I used to approach things by first finding 12+ hour prime95 stable but my approach changed when I found that despite getting my CPU prime stable, it still crashed in Oblivion.

My view is that these are different usecases and require individual testing. That is especially the case if you have c-states, turbo modes etc etc.

So nowadays I use quick runs of synthetic stress tests eg prime/cinebench to get to an approx. level of stability and then get down to some gaming. If games crash, I increase vcore until they don't.

I find it much quicker and fun than running days worth of priming, only to find games are still not stable.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's a stupid way to spend money. I know because I do it myself - I insisted on getting a Core i7 when I rebuilt my PC several years ago while my friend built a FX system (I also insisted on watercooling with a custom loop and 32 GB of RAM). My system probably cost twice as his, but performed similar in games since we both game with a GPU cap (my GTX 780 was comparable to his R9 290). He was smart with his money. I was not.

I typically overclock in steps until it becomes unstable, then downclock it a step (I might try increasing the voltage a bit as well). I want to leave a bit of a buffer in case of the unknown instead of running it borderline stable.

However, nowadays I usually just run things at stock. Stability has become more important to me as of late and an increase of a couple of hundred MHz won't make much of a difference (especially if it results in corrupt results). I also always game with a GPU cap so the difference in games is practically nil.

8. robintson

robintson Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Mine 9900ks arrived today, not from the Silicon lottery of course :) Will let you know how it performs after I make some benchmarks.
    It's sold out not because it is worth 1200 $, only because it was on sale in limited quantity from Silicon lottery, that is how it looks to me

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Well, even if something is limited in quantity, it wont sell unless there is a market for it.

10. robintson

robintson Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    The reason why this 1200 $ cpu is selling is not because it has any market, but because some PC enthusiasts with deep pockets can afford to have it. It will sell anyways , because of the limited quantity and the limited quantity comes from having around 3 % of the cpu samples that can reach 5200 MHz and then comes the price of 1200 $ on top of all previously said

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Well, that's called a market.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    There are whales out there who spend upwards of $200,000 on mobile games. $1200 is a drop in the bucket for such people.

There are lots of stupid people in the world with too much money. Products like these are a good way to separate that money from them ;)

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.
  13. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    The whole high end PC market is luxury so either it's all stupid, or in fact this is fine. It's the fastest at what it does so if you've got the money then there's nothing more wrong with buying one of these then there would be buying any other high end luxury item.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's all stupid. :p

The only reason people buy any of these luxury items is to wave their peen around. Buying something because "it's the best" is always stupid.