Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K SkyLake Specs ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 22, 2015.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    IPC performance for AMD obviously is the issue, which since Jaguar AMD has gotten better with this(Still not at Intel's level, but they have made better progress on cost/performance). What AMD really needs to focus on for Zen is their memory and sata controllers, an APU with DDR4 memory would be wonderful.

2. nvanao

nvanao Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    I'm very interested i7-6700K! :D But I'll buy it maybe at Christmas only. ;)

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also this makes me wonder on how overclockable these CPUs are going to be? I wonder if both can reach well over 5ghz and close to 6ghz (5.5-5.7ish) on mainstream cooling (not LN2).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD630 :(
    No chance matey, not on mainstream cooling.

5. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Been toying with getting one of those but a new CPU & Chipset would be a better upgrade/investment. I've had this X58 for so long and I plan on keeping my next for the same length of time and buying one of those now I'd just kick myself.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    They would have to remove onboard gpu then..
    Although it would be great if they did in one variant and make it 6 core. But yeah Intel doesn't want that, they will keep 6+ cores LGA2011 exclusive - more $$$.

I think Broadwell-E 6820K will be another 6core as "mainstream enthusiast" with higher clocks and lower TDP, same as 5820K now with 6cores (or what 4core IvyBridge-E 4820K was to SandyBridge-E 3820).

Then Skylake-E hopefully that true 8core as a "mainstream enthusiast", I'm guessing 7820K, 7930K 8core with more L3 cache & higher clocks and full 7960X with 10-12cores..
    Skylake-E will also have pcie 4.0 (normal Skylake is still pcie 3.0), but looks like it won't be released anytime soon (sometime in 2017).

Well X99 chipset will be here for a while, first they have to release Broadwell-E in 2016 and LGA2011 is usually 1generation behind mainstream LGA 115x socket, by the time Skylake-E hits the market LGA115x will already move on to CannonLake.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Their naming scheme is messed up now.

we have,

3770K, 4770K

now

6700K, 6600K?????

Where is the 70 at the end??

Why they keep changing names, or letters, don't they know it just confuses majority of people.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Reminds me of Sandy naming scheme all over again. Just 2500/2600/2700k, lets hope it will bring us the same jump in performance. ;)

9. red6joker

red6joker Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    True, I really hope that they can really bring back their "core" performance like they teased. If they did that it would really be a good contender and bring back that age old competition. As it sits right now Windows 10 with help AMD CPU's but Intels better core performance across all 4-6 cores will still be on top.

And I think that intel will lauch a 6 core version later in the year probably Q4 or so, I know they are not really pressed to put out a 6+ core CPU right now but I cant see them exactly not put out one.

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Normal people already get confused with the i3/5/7 branding, I don't think this will matter much :nerd:.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Higher clocks on a smaller chip size? Most likely not. I'm just guessing those chips will be able to surpass 4.5, but towards 5 they will find their end, with the best picks still reaching 5GHz on water or better, but with air I suspect you'll see the end of the road lower than that.

Pretty much this, nothing to add.

12. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    It doesn't work that way. DX12 is coming out because as we all know, DX11 was limited. Intel simply made a very smart move sticking to few strong cores as opposed to many weak cores. Strong cores made sure their processors are very good in multitasking while also very good in inferior-parallelized applications.

You don't just do something out of the ordinary and expect people to follow suit. Intel learned that lesson very harshly with the original Itanium. Nobody wanted to switch to 64-bit because of cost reasons, even if it was for the greater good of computing.
    Similarly, nobody is going to heavily multithread their apps just because 1 hardware company wills it. It's not easy parallelizing certain tasks.

The reason Intel is staying on quad-core is because their quad-cores can easily compete with the competitors' octa-cores. There's absolutely no incentive to push mainstream 8-core forward and it doesn't make sense from a business point of view. Not when you can sell those 8-core monsters at a far higher price. They're pricy but they absolutely demolish everything AMD has to offer.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Sandybridge was a killer chip when released - nothing really beat that and anyone whos got one should keep it until the next sandybridge chip comes out and even then, think hard.

I'm good for another 5 years, easy.

14. pralay

pralay Banned

GPU:
    8GB RAM
    Yeah I was hoping to see a mainstream 6-core aswell. Especially now that DX12 is around the corner there would be benefits even in gaming. By the looks of it I will likely skip skylake aswell.

But who knows maybe that 6700k will dish out great performance.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    I think SB was best cpu ever made, they were simply perfect.
    I see no reason to get excited about any new intel cpu, they stuck in the same loop of being the best and no competition, therefore not much improvement going ahead.

16. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Heh, as you can see I've been waiting it out.

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yeah, its one of those situations where you take for granted how good of a chip it really is.

For me I'm at the point where I'd just like the benefit of a better, faster motherboard and ram, as much as I am to just get a new cpu.

But as far as longevity, the SB are seriously amazing.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    I know right? Pretty close to a perfect architecture.
    Performance is still there, the power consumption is what you'd expect and the overclockability is off the bloody charts. My 2600k, a mere 3.4GHz processor goes up to 4.9GHz. And many of them have no problem reaching into the 4.8GHz range.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I'm gonna stop you right there!

Because....Banias! The original Intel Pentium M core, which is what Conroe the original Core 2 duo is loosely based off of! :D

Then Sandy, then Nehalem.

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Yes But sandy is super refined C2D, it is SUPERMAN!!! seriously those cpu were the best in 2k11, and super strong in top position 4 years after.

Easily they will last even more, the only thing that force u to upgrade won't be how "weak" the cpu is, but being on old motherboard with old features that will make u lose lot of new modern features , but that all up to u.