Core i7 3770k overclocked to 4.4 Ghz - vcore and temps

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Yanne, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Yanne

Yanne Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II
    Hi,

Few months ago people here were very helpfull when i was building my rig, so I just hope you can help me this time to on different topic.

I overclocked 3770k processor to 4.4 GHz but i cant really find information which will provide me comparision about if i did it right?

I mean all that stuff with vcore offset, turbo etc. So please let me know if what I write below is ok (i really dont want to degrade CPU :( )

So because its turbo speed IB case, I have changed in my bios (asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo):
    - turbo mode multipler to x44
    - additional turbo voltage +0.005
    - vcore set to offset mode, and with value -0.035

So ok, everything is booting fine, i made prime95 test (second option, with maximum heat, maximum power consuption etc) and:

- CPU fully loaded running at 4.4Ghz: vcore 1.174 V
    Temps: after 1h of prime95, around 67 C (but one core is always hotter, around 69-70)

- CPU in idle: vcore from 0.814 to 0.888 V
    Temps: around 32 C

Is that good settings? I wanted to achive 4.4GHz with the lowest vcore possible and keeping the turbo boost thing (i dont want to run 4.4 all the time, only when its needed by system, game etc.)

Thanks in advance!

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Temps look alright there for full load. With Intel's 32 nm stuff I generally try to keep it under 80 C when stress testing, but for 22 nm, I'd probably say 75 max, so you're in the right ballpark. You will always get some variation in core temperatures anyway, I get 10 degrees between coldest and hottest under full load, even more at idle.

If you want it to clock down when not doing anything, make sure SpeedStep is enabled, that's the tech that lets the multi drop when not doing anything.

Hope that helpeth.

3. Yanne

Yanne Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II
    I think in normal-gming use those load temp sholud not be as hgh like in prime, till now i noticed max 60 C durning gaming.

Speedstep is enabled, i only touched turbo settings (and multipler go down to x16 in total idle state, but in usually using pc for browsing etc multipler stays around x20)

Thanks, I appreciate any tip :)

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yeah, you are right. My browsing temps top 40-50, and hover around 2.5 GHz normally, only zooming up to 4.4 under full load. Sounds like you're in the right area anyway. Could always try reducing the offset a bit, see if you can get the load voltage down a bit.

5. Yanne

Yanne Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II
    You mean which value?

offset -0.035 (i remember that when i put it on -0.045 windows dont boot)

or the turbo additional voltage: 0.005 ?

As far as i understand i just let voltage to go higher than my offset (-0.035) by this 0.005 v, so if i put this additional voltage on 0, it means no extra voltage for turbo?

Sorry for so many questions but i started learning about OC a day ago so im BIG NOOB.
    Thanks!