Core i7 3770K & 3750 review with Z77 DZ77GA-70K mobo [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    the IGP on IB is not causing the extra heat. IB has an improved IGP over SB but its still integrated graphics

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Pretty dissapointing imo.

Good chip for those running stock speeds and using the IGP.

I was hopping these would run cooler than 2700k's & clock higher with less voltage. Fail.

3. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    So are you guys saying the older 2600k, 2700k are a better deal than the 3770k?

4. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Yes, because you can reach 4.8 - 5.0 ghz on air with lower temps. Also the little to non difference in performance makes IB a really bad choice tbh. I wanted to get it, but now i think i'm gonna go with the 2700k for a year or so until a new revision of IB comes out.

5. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    My cpu is old but I think I can wait a little longer. Not impressed yet.

6. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    I'm still searching the web to see if i can find more results. I found that 4.6-4.7ghz is doable on air in the range of 60'C under load. Over 60'C is killing the CPU so it's not worth.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you can git 4.6Ghz with an i7-3770K, and 4.9Ghz with a i7-2700K, saying the i7-2700K is a bit of a moot argument...

In the article, the difference depends on what you are doing, but one of the bigger differences can be see in video transcoding.

55 seconds on i7-2600K, and 47 seconds on i5-3570. That is a 17 percent improvement! (I realise this isn't across all tests). For Handbrake its only a miserly 12.5 percent ;). That said though, its differences like these, and the others in the tests, that need to be taken into consideration with maximum achievable 24/7 overclock. If the IB can't clock as high, its a bit moot if the performance per Ghz is faster... (which it apparently is). They're probably around even, with the IB maybe slightly in front if you look at it that way.

The real questionable thing i5-3570K and i7-3770K. Going by the tests, it seems the i7-3770K doesn't give any advantage. Actually the results are quite dismal considering the i7-3770K is clocked higher.

For games, IB may be better for Lucid MVP...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  8. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Well I'm going water cooling anyway, and I already have a massive 360mm radiator .. so I think I won't be too worried about temps.

IB seems a good upgrade for me, I'll definitely make some posts when I have OC results.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Yeah, i'm interested to see this CPU OC under air with a Noctua C14. I want to know how high can i go with it until i reach 60-62'C under full load. If it's 4.6ghz then it's ok and i may still consider it.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    What about the 990X(OC).....Is it Beat????.....Just want the Truth....Thanks........

11. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Not really, constantly being over 75c probably is. Intel CPUs are quite robbust, don't forget some people at stock with stock coolers/25c~30c ambient easily hit 60s, probably more? so I don't think you have to be worried about that. if 60c load was killing your CPU, Intel would be bankrupt by now lol

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA's drivers do not support PCIe gen 3.0 just yet. But there wouldn't be much to measure anyway. PCIe gen 2.0 x16 is absolutely enough for the GTX 680.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

CPU temp is different to core temp :) 75C CPU temp would be a little worrying, because the core temp would probably be 90's (just guessing about the 90C part, but it will certainly be higher).

14. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    I'm talking about the CPU DTS which measures the temperature of each core directly. The "CPU temp" you're talking about is from a diode that's not directly attached to CPU, but underneath or close to it. :)

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Mixed feeling so far about this generation... i hope they OC well.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    hmm they do clock bit worse and the 3770k seems to produce more heat then 2xxx. but really uses less power and is bit faster.

i didn't really even expect anything magically good. it's not like jump in original core processors was big when clock to clock you know tick tock. going to smaller fab hasn't been "amazing amounts of more performance" iirc. just maybe better oc and less power hungry.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's what I was thinking of! Thankyou for clearing that up :) I know that people confuse the two, and some programs even confuse them!

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    IB would be cooler and clock higher if that IGP wasn't in it, but Intel are keen on it for mobile parts.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im not sure the IGP in itself is the case, the problem seems to come from the place... the surface is not enough big for dissipate heat.

Now: the problem is after 1.3-.35, the cpu/core temps start to skyrocket... So today it is easy, it look like most reviewers have got the consign to dont use more of 1.35v..

At 1.35V, the 3770K look to OC better, it need 0.05-0,07V less of the 2600K for achieve 4.7-4.8ghz ... But the problem is the 2600K was taking without worry 1.45-1.55V with a "normal air cooler "...

The second problem with the ones tested, is at the moment the temperature increase so much, the overclocking scaling with voltage become worse and worse.

without saying, if you compare both CPU clock to clock.. the gain is really marginal.

Taken from Hardwarecanuck article: ( clock to clock performance )
    [​IMG]

I will wait to see first OC cpu results come back, and see how they OC under H2o... if it can fix this temperature problem.. and can achieve higher clock of my 2600K, it will be time for see if it worth the motherboard and cpu investment.

Ofc first results under DryIce and LN2 look a lot better.

If not, x79 will do the job.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012