Core I5 9600K vs ryzen3600x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by sajibjoarder, Dec 6, 2019.

1. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    which one shall i pick? both six core. 9600k is a bit cheaper.. the only advantage i see from 3600x is pci exp 4.0 and hyper threading.. which i dont think would help me for gaming much. more over i can overclock 9600k near to 5ghz if my luck is good. im planing to put this together with the next gen gpus. 3080ti or the rumored nvidia killer..

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Sounds like you made a decision already if your looking for gaming edge. You already know ...

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    3700X if you can scrap some dough.
    For actual budget, 3600X.
    not only SMT and PCI-E 4.0, there is more to it.
    Don't you remember the vulnerabilities who, once patched, will decrease your CPU performance?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Go with 3600. It offers same gaming performance and HT can be useful.

I would get a 3600non x.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am not trying to talk you out of Intel.If your going to be buying top of the line GPU ,then 9600k I would avoid like the plague.

6. GarrettL

GarrettL Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    What monitor resolution and refresh rate do you intend to use?

7. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I would probably avoid the 6 core i5, while max and average fps tends to be higher than the Ryzen 3600 it however can suffer from horrific frame times (1% and 0.1% lows) due to the limited number of threads especially in DX12 titles mostly due to background processes running as well as games that use DRM. The i7 9700K does not yet encounter this but since DX12 titles normally utilise 6 threads it still has 2 cores free for windows and other background process so isn't impacted right now. This is why reviews stay away from recommending it in recent months. In coming years i can only see it getting worse rather than better.

Gamers Nexus do frame times and they would not recommend the i5.

Guru3D used too as well but their thread ripper 3970X didn't have any sooo it's hard to judge as frame times is very important as they are used to detect stutters while in game.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    3600X. A 6 thread CPU will quickly become a bottleneck in games so I would definitely avoid it.