Core i5 750 - Core i7 860 and 870 processor review [guru3d]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I went, I saw, I liked.

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

lol this is intel we are talking about no worry corei5 will have a future for a loong looong time.

p.s that msi board i so mine for 179 euros :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats true. But it also leads me to realize something else, that the benches done are all running on the maxed out turbo speeds, which means that the i870 is running at 3.6ghz. For perspective sake, I'd like to see the a Yorkie OC'd to 3.6, 3.46 and 3.2 to match the Lynnfields. Perhaps then we may see a truer picture of how they are vs the old gen chips.

4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I switched my order to the EVGA p55 SLI just under the FTW model.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The i5 isn't bad. I'm really thinking about upgrading to it here soon.

Don't care about Hyperthreading, most games don't make too much use of it anyways. Either way it's a step up from what I have. Dual core to quad core. :D

As far as budget goes, I still think that AMD has the upper hand. Remember that there's more than just 1 phenom II. :D You can get a tri core 720 and overclock it, and maybe even unlock the fourth core if you're lucky for under $150. Then get a pretty decent overclocking mobo for under $100. That's a good deal if I do say so myself.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    hope it overclocks like you want! :D

7. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I do not see why it would not .. the other board seemed a lil high end for me anyways.

Would have liked it but was not waiting.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Isn't the I5 socket meant to be part of Intel's desktop roadmap. Doesn't that mean in 2 years time you could go in to PC world (I am not advocating that you purchase or set foot in PC World) and buy a dektop that claims fantastic gaming, and HD video prospects on the basis it has an I5 inside?

Isn't I7 meant to be a sever chip, what with it's fantastic memory bandwidth and huge multi threading capacity?

9. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This upgrade better bring me a good improvement or I am going to feel very ripped off.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I hate to break it to you, but you're probably going to feel ripped off. My friend built a core i7 system with a 920, 12gigs of ram and a new motherboard, he was going from a E6600 or some dual core, core 2 processor. He noticed generally nothing except for multi-tasking performance when he had like 12 applications running. In terms of FPS in games though, a couple here and there. He has the i7 clocked at 4 ghz too.

11. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  12. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    ^ hey man dont worry....the quad u just bought will last u a long while, and we are also recently starting to see cpu intensive games that properly use quad core cpu's potential (GTA 4)...so i dont think u'll feel ripped off, in fact u can now sit back and enjoy the speed of ur future-proof rig :)

13. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    [​IMG]

14. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The only reason i believe they have bought this socket out is because they need something new and more powerful then there current C2Q to keep the midrange market moving.

Just my 2 cents.

Also a question about the review it may have already been asked but 5 paages is to much for me to read over in the forums and i didnt see anything in there review.
    The benchmarks that were done on the new CPU's are they overclocked and/or in turbo mode. and with there Q6600 results is that just at stock clocks.

Having a Q6600 at 3.4 i would like to know how it would rate agaisnt the i5

15. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    @Nato:
    i was referring to the socket not the cpu if u will notice :nerd:

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Newegg has p55 boards for under $100. Wonder if they're any good though.

17. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    u could always read some reviews on them to make sure

18. azri

azri Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX260 SP-216 OC
    is it worth going to i5 with my current specs? or Il stick with my setup and better save for the nvidia/ati next generation cards?

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I bought the 750 kit from overclockers.co.uk pre-overclocked to 3.6Ghz, Asus P7P55D mobo and 4GB ddr3 ram for £430 inc p&p. Saved around £100+ getting this rather than 920 system. The upgrade path will be interesting if enough people buy Socket 1156 motherboards.

Btw, the cost is only about £12 more for this overclocked setup, not too bad really to have it pre-tuned. Can always drop in another 4GB or ram if needs be. Biggest hope is Asus buys the sli license for their P7P55D range. That would be the icing on the cake :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    So, now that I've got it, it's running great. Everything worked first time...including using my old win7 (7260) install. Everything auto detected and installed with all my old windows stuff still there. Sweet. Moving from 4200x2 939 to this I5 is just awesome and the boost it's given to my 8800gtx is amazing.

For the real hardcore, maybe I5 isn't the way to go. For me it's working great!