Core i5 750 - Core i7 860 and 870 processor review [guru3d]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Hey Mario®

Hey Mario® Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GT SC
    Aw... it was just getting interesting. :nerd:

Oh well... :)

2. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    tbh i was enjoying u two debate :D

intel really screwed up with the naming scheme....having two i7 series on two different sockets....and they say "HT is what sets them aside from i5"....so now HT is more important as a feature than the socket compatibility? nice way to really confuse the average customers intel :smack:

i just wonder how long this skt 1156 will last, being capped to 4 cores as it is

3. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Well when you think about it, 4 cores / 8 threads is surely more than enough for the foreseeable future. I mean, I'm on a dual core at the moment and even this is fine by todays standards. I honestly think the advantages of these more multi-core systems won't start showing benefits for "most" end users for a good number of years. Of course for people who render/encode there will always be benefits of more cores, but I think for the majority of people even 4 cores, or 4 cores with 8 threads is a LOT of processing power.

4. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    ^ i guess ur right about the longevity of the platform but i still think the naming scheme sucks

5. w 4 f f l e s

w 4 f f l e s Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD7870 2GB
    Since core i5 was announced, I was under the impression that it supported HT like i7. Boy was I wrong and it's a deal breaker for me. Other than lower power consumption (which is thrown out the window when OC'ing) I don't see anything better with an i7 860 + P55 over an i7 920 + x58 because I can get a 920 from Micro Center for $200. Anyone care to enlighten me?

6. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I just spent 599USD today on the EVGA FTW p55,a 750,Gskill Ripjaws mem 4 gig and a CM V8 cooler.

The way I see it is like this.

For me it is a good upgrade as I got a good board,alright cpu,good mem,and a better cooler than I have now.

It should last me some decent time.

Like I said 2 times before if I was in NY near microcenter I would have got the 920 for 9 dollars cheaper than the 750 (bit of a fed up pricing scheme) and a halfway decent board,but the mem would have been more,but I was not paying the crappy online prices for the mobo and the 920.

7. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well I've thought about it and being stuck @ 4 cores really isn't much of an issue to me, I don't think 6 or 8 cores will be necessary or even beneficial for enough years that the bit of money saved and performance gained now is probably worth it in that respect alone. So what x58 offers me then is triple channel memory and more pcie bandwidth. Triple channel isn't too big a deal, but the bandwidth really is.

So it's looking like x58 for my next upgrade, it's just that none of the x58 boards excite me like that msi one does (except the really expensive ones)

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'd just wait. I don't think going to a i7 X58 now is going to offer you any real performance increase. Wait for like 6/8 core and maybe X68 or whatever Intel is cooking up next.

9. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah well I won't be getting anything at least until christmas, but probably not even then, at least not a full new build. But yeah my E8500 should serve me well for a good little while yet

10. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Mwave mesed up my order verification earlier and then I fixed it (they said the shipping and billing adresses did not match but they did and my bank confirmed it) the issue delayed processing of my motherboard and now I get an email that they are on backorder.... I am a bit pissed.

All other parts from newegg shipped as usual.

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I think a lot of people miss the main benefit these CPUs offer, the new Turbo mode. Obviously it's not that interesting for overclockers, but for people who just want to buy the CPU to use at stock speeds then it gives them better than i7 900 series performance in a lot of games and applications, and is cheaper.

12. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    i think ill stay on my 920 until they release the 6 core i7s.
    IMO save urselves 300$ and get the 920 and overclock it to 3.8 or 4 Ghz ;)

13. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Do you think I will lose any Oc on air if I just get the evga board below the FTW on this chart?

http://www.evga.com/articles/00502/P55_spec.pdf

The only other diff i see is i lose the ability to switch off pcie lanes,I lose the special capacitors inside the socket,I lose the ability to use the ebot gizmo,I lose tripple bios and have dual,and I go from 12+ 2 pahse analog to 8 + 2 phase analog,I also lose the ability to use evga control panel 2 and mem is only up to 2200 mghz instead of 2600 mghz.

I need to know if any of these things make a difference in the real world lol

cause the non FTW is in stock and is only 199.99

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  14. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    the FTW will probably oc abit better, even on air.

though if you have a budget, you probably wont notice much.

15. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    sorry was not done with my post ..lol was comparing the charts

I mean do you think the diff will be like being stuck at 3.6 on the non FTW and the FTW may hit 4.0 or better?

also the non FTW has one 8 pin plug lol.

Like I posted earlier i ordered the FTW early on the 8th and they (mwave must have typed my address wrong or something cause it was the same address the bank had and they did not verify my order nor call me to tell me there was an issue) by the time i got it squared away it was 2pm and i waited for it to ship and called 40 min b4 close to be told it should ship and then i get an email saying it is now on back order,I really do not want to wait especially if I do not realistically need that kind of power,I just want it to be alot faster than my current rig.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009

16. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    i'm so on the fence right now both the 920 and the 860 are priced very much the same over here in nz gah!!!! back to banging my the head on the wall which socket has a future? damn u intel!

17. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    go for the 920.

18. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    +1 I'd say the 920 too

19. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    this
    +1

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    LGA1366 definitely has a future. Not to say i5 doesn't, but it isn't as clear, that's for sure.