Core i5 750 - Core i7 860 and 870 processor review [guru3d]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 8, 2009.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    this socket should sell well

@ ace the open box may be returns from the new egg sponcered oc'ers or just the new egg peeps opening up a few to play with who knows?
    all the reports on how well the 750 oc's is 4.0 ish avg. thats all no ht so....

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Thanks for the review Hilbert. I'd like to see SLI/CF comparison of 8xx and 9xx too (PCIe x8 Vs x16).
    860 looks really interesting. Too bad that they opted for confusing naming. When someone looks at 2 things with so similar names, they may expect that they are similar. There will be problems with buying these i7 mobos and CPU's, using search engines etc... Unless they want to get rid of current LGA1366 i7's after introducing i9.
    I'm satisfied with my i7 920. LGA1156 versions aren't really cheaper now. I'm only a little worried that there won't be any "cheaper" LGA1366 CPU's to upgrade in the future, when 920 gets old. People may have problems with choosing between these 2 sockets, because it's not really clear how long they'll survive.

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I was liking the i5 until i read the multi was locked (it still clocks well tho) and it doesnt really makes sense to go for the p55 + i5 over the 920 because the price points are far to close, they need drop the price to make it a viable option.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Wasn't expecting i7 920 to come out on top. The Lynnfield chips are definitely great, but you can get a superior chip (assuming you will be manually overclocking), more RAM, triple channel at that, and two 16x PCIe lanes for a grand total of about $50/£30 more.

Sorry, but if I had to put my money down on anything, it would be an i7 920. And soon, before they start disappearing.

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    wow if there are some cheap but good P55 boards then Phenom II might as well run into the corner and cry, as the i5 750 is cheaper than the PII 965 but seems to overclock like a beast, have seen another review at HardOCP that shows the superiority, makes me sad as an AMD fan :( but happy as consumer; I think we will see some PII price cuts

6. J STEEL

J STEEL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    Thanks Hilbert for the review!!! Excellent review!! I learned a lot and the i7 860 would be my next processor to upgrade to! I am going to hold on to my dear Q6600 and overclock it some more. I got a new better overclocking board a month ago(GA-EP45C-UD3R) to pair it with some DDR3 memory. I had it up to 3.4 ghz at 1600mhz on the memory before I had to RMA my video card, which will have the replacement arrive today! My setup will last me until the middle of next year after all the flavors come out for this socket error and I will be able to make a better decision. No need to jump the gun and impulse buy now!!

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    don't really think so, these processors just released are still overly expensive, i was expecting the first i5 to be sub 200 dollars....not at 200, too expensive, as the motherboard prices (according to the review) will be quite expensive aswell

Bit if a disappointment, then again i wasn't expecting much anyways, this processor makes no sense and has no place

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    what the hell are you saying, this platform comes at a better price then AMD, consumes less and gives stellar performance.

If anything AMD is gonna have to lower the prices...

quote from anand

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    over here in the UK the i5 750 is £20 cheaper than the PII 965 and I've already seen P55 boards selling for similar prices to AM3 ones so I don't get what u mean

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem here is that if you buy this setup, you're stuck at 4 cores. Not something I want to be stuck at. I mean I guess it's cool if you don't upgrade all the time. But I'd rather be able to drop in a 6 or maybe even 8 core processor down the road.

I'd rather wait and see these improvements come to i7, then go from there.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    So much for having a better price. From the sound of things they will cost just as much as i7s here after the extra inflation we get.

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Holy moley. I'll wait for 32nm refreshes. Its not like I need 4x yet anyway.

To sum up these new processors. More evolution rather than revolution. Nothing truly exciting has happened since the introduction of socket 775.
    If anyone bought those e6600 and overclock them a bit then its still enough for almost anything.

13. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    ok I think I hit a big snag.

I ordered the EVGA FTW P55

It has a 24 pin power connector and 2 8 pin power connectors....my PSU only has 1 8 pin
    What do I do?

What is the second 8 pin for?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Stability - buy a molex to 8 pin converter.

15. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    can I run it without it?

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I want to say probably. A lot of boards now have a 8 pin which only actually requires 4 pin power for it to work - the other 4 is for server oriented stability type stuff.

Worse comes to worse get it and try it with 8, if it doesn't work buy a molex converter, not that big of a deal.

17. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I am getting confused though cause it has 2x8 pin (600 watts) listed

What is the 600 watts for caue i only have a 750 watt psu?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Where are you reading this? There is no way the mobo takes 600watts, they may just be estimating the typical power consumption of the motherboard under average load or something.

19. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    YES it does, the two 8-pin power connection can supply up to 600 watts of power to the CPU itself.

it only requires ONE 8-pin power to run, though.

any news on when the x16/x16 boards are coming?

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ok, well then the CPU is taking up to 600w, not the motherboard, which is why it only requires 1. Plus this would only be a factor when you are overclocking past like 5 or 6ghz with liquid nitrogen cooling.