Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Most of us here, makes up a small yet vocal group of consumers. Most consumers won't need more than the IGP built into the CPU. Gamers aren't the largest chunk of PC buyers. Businesses and budget consumers make up most of the market. For the most part they don't need more than the IGP.

Why would you need DX11 in the IGP? Like really, anyone who cares about DX11 will buy a discrete GPU regardless. HTPCs wouldn't have a use of a GPU anyways (though some people say otherwise).

deltatux

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    afaik you wouldnt. but when she mentioned the other dx versions, i just found it odd that they were supported and not 11. its no biggie to me. thats just how i think :D

3. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    DirectCompute 5.0?

Presumably with more up-to-date OpenGL and OpenCL implementations too.

I'd say DC is the biggie though, as Intel has been adopting AMDs push into GPGPU and DC might, or might not, become more relevant for the Windows platform in a year or two.

Upcoming Windows versions might take advantage of DX11 capability as well.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    DirectCompute 4 works just as fine. Thing is a lot of people won't care about these technologies. Not for a couple more years as there's barely any software that takes advantage of GPGPUs yet.

If someone builds an HTPC or budget rig that needs a DX11 capable IGP, get the AMD Bobcat builds. They're out now and it does support DX11.

AMD Bulldozer will also introduce DX11 capable IGPs for regular desktops, but I don't see why most people need it. The ones who care about GPGPU or even DX11 graphics will get a GPU regardless.

deltatux

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

yea Ivy-bridge's build-in gpu will be Dx11 compatible

6. nutz

nutz Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1060
    so does anyone know when ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF is gonna be available??

WANT!!

7. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060
    the internal gpu is used for the quick sync on sandybridge. and unlike most people i would like to have quicksync cause of the movie encoding i do it will save alot of time.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I want the integrated IGP, seems like it does awesome video encoding.

9. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Oh I don't disagree, I merely pointed out what I see as the more or less obvious answers to your question.

As Intel will be upgrading the IGP for Ivy Bridge anyway I suppose the real question is really 'why not DX11'.

10. Espair

Espair Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1gb@2048x1152
    Hmmm will 1156 waterblocks and heatsinks fit the 1155 socket? Im thinking of getting one of these, but wanna make sure the cooler I buy will be compatible.

Should I wait for bulldozer to come out before going all out? Thanks :)

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, 1156 cooling solutions will work on 1155.

I do recommend waiting for Bulldozer if you're not in a rush just in case AMD has an appealing offer.

deltatux

12. pleshy

pleshy Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    I'd like to know a little bit more about the IGP.

Both CPUs reviewed feature the 3000 IGP, however, intel lists i7's max dynamic frequency higher than i5's (1.1 vs. 1.35). Does this mean i7's IGP is faster?

What about overclocking the IGP? First, is it possible and if so what performance gain could be achieved? Then, is it possible to overclock a regular CPU's IGP or we need a 'K'?

Do all i5s (dual-core) feature the 3000 IGP? Strange thing is intel lists i5-2390T's base frequency at 650, why? i3-2120's base frequency is at 850.

In general, I'd be very interested to read an in-depth article about SB IGPs. One that covers all variants (i3, i5 (dual and quad), i7), overclocking and so on. I wonder whether it's possible to build a basic gaming rig based on this IGP. By basic I mean one that handles popular online titles - Valve source (TF2, L4D, etc.), Blizzard (WoW, SC2) and even maybe some COD. I have the feeling such titles (which are very popular) might be very playable on SB IGPs at 12x7 and 13x7 including decent settings.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Oh oh, just see shops here get the boards and the 2600K, for really really cheap ( under 300dollars for a 2600K, Swiss franc is really high and so we win on buy ( but lost a lot on sell ),
    i think i will update on the end of the month.

14. nutz

nutz Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1060
    anyone??

15. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    Quick Sync sure is fast, too bad you can't use it when a discreet GPU is installed. Good thing Lucid manages to bypass that :D

16. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:

I've seen a couple rumors floating around stating test results of the Bulldozer are similar to the i7 (which one is the question). It will be interesting to see how this cpu performs. But once again, if AMD is a few steps behind then they have keep their prices down and in the long run this hurts their cash flow weakening them even further.

The 2500K is propbably one of Intel's best offerings in quite some time. Excellent performance with a price point under $200 at some retailers. That's heavy pressure on AMD.

17. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
  18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    will there be laptop cpus of these?

19. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    yer they should be out already

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    and they maybe cheaper than current i5s etc?

damn man i amde a mistake by buying a gaming laptop :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.