Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somn Bizar

Somn Bizar Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti
    Good CPUs, but i feel like ranting about the new socket and the fact that you can OC only K series which will always be more expesive, so hardly a choice for mid end gaming systems, new socket also means higher prices :bang:

I'd pull the gun right now if the Core i5 2500 could be OCed via bus and IF the 1155 socket mobos costed the same as 1156 mobos....which in my country they don't. Also when I add up the VAT i can hardly call this CPUs a bargain.......if only i lived in western Europe or the USA......

2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The 2500K is all of $11 more expensive than the plain 2500. Granted, it's likely to end up as a larger difference in the shops but it's not an insurmountable obstacle in pricing by any means.

BCLK overclocking is certainly not in the realm of a 'midrange gaming system' but straight up there in 'enthusiast' category.

Heck, for a midrange system I'd go as far as saying that overclocking in general is out of bounds.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sandy bridge was always going to be better than the old technology as its new,the question is "Will you benefit from Sandy coming from the hardware that you already have for the price?"

I wont be buying even though i can easily afford Sandy and all the addons for it:)

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    To sum it up, if gaming is your main objective an you currently own i7 1366 cpu it's not worth upgrading to SB 1155, but if your doing video editing, heavy calculations then it certainly is worth upgrading or you could wait for SB 2011 :biggun:

5. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I see.....dead people, I mean .....my credit card crying......a nice upgrade for my bday will be soon here!

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm, man AMD better start selling at self cost lol

Impressive nummbers indeed, though would be nice if you guys reviewing could do some more extensive clock vs clock testing, since that was one of the things you mentioned but never really went into.

But yarr..this is bad for amd, if their bulldozer doesn't deliver.

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti+KS800 TV
    I was going to buy a AMD 6 core already clocked to 4ghz. Is only gonna cost me £200 and £80 for the mobo. How much would this i7 cost?

Think I should stick to the AMD? I only do gaming

8. COD4000

COD4000 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X
    I was gonna go from my 5870 to a 580, but not sure if upgrading my Phenom II 940 would be a better option now.

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Now my i7 950 feels silly..but at the same time, I doubt if I waited, I would have been able to buy since we just learned my wife is expecting :D Actually we got the news just right after I completed my upgrade (videocard was the last upgrade) lol..so I guess no new hardware for me for a year and my i7 950 will have to suffice for now..

Actually a good thing lol..then i can control myself and wait again for LGA 2011

darn, P67 board pricing here in singapore is quite cheap..most of the listed boards are cheaper than my Rampage III Formula..I wonder if I can sell my board/CPU for a reasonable price enough to cover an upgrade and get the 2600 and an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe :nerd:

the Gigabyte P67A UD4 only costs S$359 while the Asus P8P67 deluxe costs S$389..compare that to the RAmpage III Formula which is still being sold for S$549! Assuming they price the i7 2600K at the same price as an i7 950 or even higher say S$450, then its possible to buy the combo for about S$800..now if I can sell my CPU and mobo for say S$600... then I spend S$200 for the move to sandy bridge :wanker: God its so tempting but at the same time it doesnt feel right lol

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    The only problem I have with the launch is that the K- series parts which have the 12EU cores vs the 6 on normal ones cant be over clocked on H67 boards, this means we have to stay waiting till the Z68 chip set to come out which will support both over clocking and on-board graphics hopefully adding switch ability between discrete and integrated graphics.

Personally If it had the above features it could successfully integrate my HTPC into my gaming/work PC into a single low power, performance monster with added media features.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ~18-25% clock vs clock (i2600k vs i7 930)

but yea it looks impressive, esp. 3dmark06 and vantage score, can't wait for enthusiast 8core SB that thing is gonna destroy everything :D

and btw, LGA2011 looks like its gonna be for servers,... LGA1356 is suppose to be a replacement for 1366 - enthusiast platform, and its gonna have 8core too just like LGA2011..

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    you have to account overclocking though, i heard the 2600k easily OCes to 5Ghz on air..thats pretty impressive..

Correct me if im wrong but the jump from 1156/1366 i7 to SB is like the jump from Core2Quad to Nehalem right?

I wish intel releases a competitively priced 6-core for 1366 before it becomes EOLed..:3eyes:

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i know the OC potential, im just saying that its ~18% faster at the same clock.. yea not to mention when OC'ed :nerd:

kinda like that, although C2Q 9x50 series isnt so far behind i7.. Q6x00 is much weaker.

Im personally gonna wait for LGA1356, it looks like 2011 isn't planned for normal users anyway..

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    so i7 9xx -> i7 2600k is like q6xx to i7 9xx then..darn, im really tempted go SB :wanker: but then I lived through 2 years + of e8400 and I survived lol so I think I can live with a lesser i7 for a year or so :nerd:

15. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    Lets see , i7 2600K only lost for 980X.

And 2500K its better than Core i7 920,930,950 , but dont have hyperthearding.

The i7 2600K price its a little more than i7 950.

I think thats it , 2600K its the new king.

We only need wait good motherboards.

EDIT: And Overclock in 2600K and 2500K , its fantastic , I think it can go up 5GHz with good air coolers.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Just think what it can do under WC and overvolting it like crazy! I can't wait to see the Xeon counterpart to these! Those will be able to take a hell of a lot more voltage.

17. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    Everytime I look at 2500K performance , its awesome , at $216 you get a X6 1100T and i7 950 Killer.

But lets see the P67 Motherboards , dont look extreme like X58 high end motherboard really.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    impressive cpu the new i5 and i7, the memory performance especially was incredible.

honestly current i7 owners (including me) should hold off, i5 users however can buy one of these cpus and enjoy faster performance and if you're into o/c then all the better because you have finer control with these cpus.

and a small advice to Hilbert, if you want to test memory performance in games, the Doom3 benchmark relies massively on memory bandwidth, so the benchmark should help to showcase the extra memory muscle. ;)

all in all great review.

19. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI SC
    the only real performance upgrade is for video editing and if your constantly transfering large amount of data, than i see it being a worthwhile upgrade. Games wise, its pretty much identical in relation to 1100t and i7 cpu`s or any cpu`s overclocked to the same frequencies, like mine own for example ....

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Clock vs clock? Were these chips tested at the same clocks somewhere? As it stands from reviews I'd seen the 3.4ghz i2600k (22% more ghz than the i7 930's 2.8ghz) beats it at roughly the same percentage, esp gaming.

What I want to see is clock vs clock benches, and not a much higher ghz chip beating another on account of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.