Core Duo/AM2 X2 Motherboard advice.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by the_jerboa_king, Aug 14, 2006.

1. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    Hey guys,

Now 'conroe' is finally out and it's looking pretty promising I've started looking at Intel motherboards as well as AMD, but I can't work out what to go for...

If I got AMD I was thinking nForce 570SLI or 590, is there much point in spending the extra for the 590?

For Intel, is it worth waiting for the nForce 570/590's to come out?

Also, in terms of manufacturer, is there much difference between them? i.e. would it be worth waiting for an nForce 5 variant of a DFI board? I want to be able to overclock a bit but not extreme as I'll be sticking with air cooling for now.

All I really know is I don't want ASUS, ASrock, Abit for various reasons, which leaves things like MSI, Gigabyte, Epox, DFI, Foxconn, Intel, or something else...

any help appreciated :)

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I would say if you want the latest and greatest in processing performance, you should just wait out the 590 Intel and throw in a conroe 6600.. that's what me and I'm sure many others are gonna do.. not necessarily because the board is going to be that much better, but the difference in FSB is really substancial, and worth the $ and wait..

you should be able to OC fairly similarliy with any make of the board, beit gigabyte, MSI, etc.. however, like with any new product, wait until you can hear about what some users are using and then make your educated decision, based on what everyone has been saying.. chances are some of the brands will operate better, or offer higher ocs than others..

3. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    i wouldnt be so confidednt about Nforce solutions for intel, the MCH on the nf4 was a disaster,

right now using a gigabyte DS3 very good board, and ocing is been quite a breeze since i flashed my bios

4. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    ScoobyDooby: Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, I was planning on upgrading a while ago, then heard about upcoming price drops and Conroe. I figured I was gonna get a 5000+, but then Conroe proved to be pretty sweet so I was thinking an E6600, 2GB RAM, 7900GT and whatever's left going on HDD's :)

JohnMaclane: are the Intel nForce 4's really that bad? what so wrong with them?

Does anyone know how long before the Intel 590's will be around?

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    memory performance was weak, it was picky on the ram and couldnt oc well

6. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    True that would make sense on the memory as AMD nForce 4's would have relied on the onboard memory controller... I'm guessing something would have been slapped together pretty hastily for the Intel boards.

Well I reckon I'm gonna end up waiting at least till the nForce 5's are out.