Core 2 motherboard that does DDR1 AND AGP/PCI-E

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by messerchmidt, Jul 9, 2006.

1. messerchmidt

messerchmidt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900GT @ GTX
    for all of you with agp cards and some DDR1 ram that want to run a Core 2 -> Via chipset -> ASRock 775Dual-880Pro

cheapy board but works

there is also this one for you guys with ddr1 and a pci-e card - ati chipset -> Asrock 775Twins-HDTV R2.0

another cheapy board - but hey...

yeah performance will suffer with DDR1 , but for 300$iish in total you got a massive upgrade from say your s754 A64, 939 A64 or Pentium 4 HT.

core2 should still blow the a64s, pentium-ds,etc out of the water even with DDR1. if you have an X850 agp/PCI-E or 7800GS AGP,etc for example - this maybe the way to go. all you S754 guys - interested? :nerd:

2. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    What exactly does cheapy board mean? Limited/lower overclockability? If so then there's no pt getting one for an OC'ing CPU like the Conroe.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Exactly. You get what you pay for. Why pay for a good conroe with a good gpu and then let it all down with ddr1 memory and a "cheapy" motherboard?

4. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    just for the sake of argument, any DDR1 conroe boards with pci-e? (possibley even SLI?)

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  6. messerchmidt

messerchmidt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900GT @ GTX
    cheapy as in 1/2 the price of say an asus 975x mobo

for a cheap upgrade, this thing looks ideal

OCworkbench did a review of the via one;

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asrock/775Dual-VSTA/g1.htm

300fsb stable - not bad for a via based chipset.

with an overclocked e6300 - we have a real good cheap upgrade for all you pentium 4-HT ppls

7. candle_86

candle_86 Guest

umm why? conroe maybe faster, but its still Intel, I mean in 6 months AMD will beat them with K8L lets wait and see what happens

8. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    :rolleyes: I hate this kind of fanboy attitude.

Anyways i dont see the point in getting ddr ram even if the mobos support it. You might as well stick with socket 939 which is designed to use ddr.

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Thats the most stupid comment I've read in weeks. How about after K8l you may as well wait until Intels next offering that will outperform that?

Conroe is a fantastic looking CPU / platform and AMD fanboys should just stick with AM2, albeit with far less performance.

I hate fanboys.

Enthusiasts should be interested in the best hardware, no matter who manufactures it. I went for a 939 system because at the time it offered the best price/performance ratio.

In a few weeks I'll build a Conroe system for the same reasons.

But back on topic, I dont see the point in buying a great CPU, to match it with a crappy mobo & ram combination, you're just wasting your time.

If you've got DDR1/AGP card and want a Conroe system, simply build a new system. if you can't afford to, wait until you can, otherwise you'll be wasting your money & only want to upgrade it later anyway. Remeber Intel CPU's are very bandwidth hungry, and you'd cripple a Conroe with a DDR1 based board

10. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Just like Intel fanboys have stuck with Pentium 4's for the last 3 years..so fanboyism dosn't stick to one side or the other.

Unless you have a very low end system with a good video card it seems just a waste of time to go this route. I think if you get a cheap, underperforming board just to keep your ddr1 and agp card you will be very sorry down the road when you finally add a good video card..also did I see that asrock only does DDR2-667?
    QFT

11. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Thanks for agreeing with me dublin gunner. Its nice to see people that have the common sense to not just only buy from, and even worship one company. I wonder what they would do if they're company shut down? I expect they would never buy any more components, and become broken shells of men, mindlessly living out their lives.

For anyone considering conroe with ddr ram, DONT. DD2 prices are low enough to buy a really good set for cheap. e.g:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231084

Great 2gb matched pair that should oc well and its only $161 dollars. Or for cheaper...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231050

Another great set, only 1gb of matched memory but thats enough, and it would literally rape your ddr ram in performance. And its only $80 dollars. Can i just point out, this isnt value select stuff. This is decent ram. I would find you a value select pair but i cant be bothered as firefox has randomly closed this tab three times now and i've had to rewrite it each time. (my pc is acting random atm)