Core 2 Duo Mobo compatibility with Gateway?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by tukm, Dec 14, 2006.

1. tukm

tukm Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB
    Ok, i have a Gateway 838GM computer with a pentium 4 630. Heres the motherboard specs please look at it. it did say its "Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or 533 MHz system bus"
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/102007/102007sp33.shtml

Will i be able to just take out the p4 and put in a core 2 duo? or do i need a new motherboard? its going to be a pain if i need to cause then i have to buy new case/mobo/power supply and take my whole computer apart to put in new case.

Also if its possible to do that, can you recommend me a cpu? im trying decide between the E6400 vs the E6600...is the 2 extra mb cache make much of a difference cause i dont care too much about the little extra ghz? im not too hardcore about performance but if its more bang for my bucks to go with 6600, i might. only if its really make big difference and worth it though...

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    you will not be able to just plug a core 2 duo in your motherboard, but the good news is that your case is matx and not a propreitary(spelling?) layout, meaning you can plug in any matx mobo you want.
    i dont have time to find one to reccomend right now, but i think infested nexus will be around here pretty soon with his bullet-points:).