Core 2 Duo E8600 coming on August 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

It is rumored that the Core 2 Duo E8600 will come out on August 10 with a $266 price tag. The CPU will run at 3.33GHz or about 170MHz faster than the Core 2 Duo E8500 Intel recently pulled down from...

More...

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    The word pointless comes to mind regarding the crappy speed bump up the new steppings on the other hand should theoretically make it a better overclocker as all the new e8x00 range come with theses steppings

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    Obviously pointless CPU is obviously pointless....;p

4. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    E8500 ftw !! :D

5. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    The word, "why," comes to mind. I doubt this will have many sales in contrast to the E8400. They should just unlock the multi and sell it for 300US - that would make more sense.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Just what we need, overclocked e8400.

7. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    I wouldn't call this cpu pointless. I wouldn't buy it, but there are MILLIONS of people who would buy the faster cpu as opposed to the slower one for just a few extra dollars. Not everyone is an overclocking guru! ;)

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    You dont need to be OC guru to change FSB .. not even darn volts or any other settings. ( thats how i OCed my Core... just changed FSB ..)

Free is better than somethinng that you need to pay for :D.

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I have to agree with RossCorp, here. It's certainly an option for people who haven't upgraded to a dual-core CPU, yet. Also: I'm pretty sure our parent's don't know (or haven't even heard of) what a FSB is. How do you expect them then to be able to increase it? I think, we sometimes seem to forget that we (mostly) know what we're talking about. 90% of the other "regular" PC users don't. ;)

p.s.: Some (most?) motherboards (at least in pre-build PCs) don't even include an option to adjust the FSB or anything in that direction. You would have to flash the BIOS first, in order to get access to those features. Maybe this is a simple task for you and me, but certainly not for the average Joe/Jane who merely knows how to turn his/her PC on. ;)

10. pyo2004

pyo2004 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 4870 X2
    If the 8600 does 333Mhz with 10x multiplier, then I say it's really useful.

11. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    It's already released in Australia.

$A318.00

LINK

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, exactly what I say. Even with generic 800mhz RAM (400fsb), thats a 4ghz OC right there.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    I am awaiting for the release of this cpu :D , my E8400 wont go past 5.2Ghz under Dry Ice :(, so ''hopefully'' i will break that 5.2Ghz Barrier needed for some decent numbers on benching :thumbup: " Hurry up Newegg ''

14. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    For the most part the E8500 is capable of higher clocks as well as higher FSB speeds which might lead one to believe that the E8600 will follow that trend. I for one will happily test this chip as soon as its available and if pricing is anywhere near the rumors $166 than it should be very desirable to clockers. With that all said I totally understand where many of you are coming from in regards to this release being "pointless". For most people an E8400 is more than capable but when your trying to really push FSB or high-end clocks (6+Ghz) than this chip might be the answer? Of course this is just my two cents.

15. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    It has a 10x multi, thats the point.

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i bought a new mobo and a QX9650 about 3 days ago, i work a lot with videos and rip dvds and the old E8400 while good was not great, the Quad helped tremendously once you crank the threads to 4 but also general windows usage is a lot quicker with less hiccups when doing multiple things at once.

the E8600 though is not a pointless cpu, consider people who run things at stock or are not into overclocking, a cpu such as this one could be useful, the E8400 however is the best bang for the bucks imo, you get 3.0ghz which is fast enough and cheap enough. ;)

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    hhmmm , it has been released and sold already on some parts of the world like Australia , i wonder how long its going to take newegg to place the cpu on sale :(

18. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    Some good results being posted at i4 too mate

bob has his humming, can't wait to see the results from sub zero testing.

19. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    i already have a 9.5 multi and can hit 4.5ghz happily.

i dont see the point either...

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Yes my friend i was surprised and impressed how much more overclocking potential are on this 8600 with the new stepping E0. I saw his post 4844.97 Mhz on 1.45v only on air :eek2: