Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by King_Kedar, Jun 15, 2019.

1. King_Kedar

King_Kedar Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5770HD 1GB
    Hello guys,

Lately I've been thinking about overclocking my E8400 to 4.0 or 4.2GHz.
    Did any of you tried it?
    And do you know a good cheap cooler for the 775 socket?

I'm currently on a GIGABYTE G31M-S2L Motherboard.

Sincerely
    King_Kedar :)

Strange Times likes this.
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If I remember correctly I could only get 3.8 out of mine before it needed tons more voltage to be stable at 4.0 although there were steppings that fared better. I believe it was the EO stepping that overclocked better. I had to use 1.4 to maintain stability but a lot would do better at that voltage like 4.0-2. I can't remember the cooler I was using ahh just came to me Hyper 212 that at the time was cheap and good for the price.

King_Kedar likes this.
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

King_Kedar likes this.
  4. King_Kedar

King_Kedar Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5770HD 1GB
    I checked and out of mine I could get stable 3.5GHz with 1.3V but before I do anything I need to change this crappy box cooler, or just clean it off and apply some good quality thermalpaste. Do you have a good method to calculate the Voltage needed?
    I was thinking about buying a Titan DC-775K925B/RPW or something that is vertical. But for a vertical cooler I would need to change my case :/
    (Btw. how the temps should look like after a good OC? In idle I got 71 degrees and It was so scary that I preffered to go back to the stock 3.0GHz.)

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah that's way too high for idle mine would idle around 36 though that's not the important one at 100% load it would top out around low 70's a good cooler is a must. The Xigmatek that BlackZero mentioned would have been a few degrees better and if you have a small case that will increase temps unless it has excellent air flow. There is no real calculation for voltage just trial and error. Start at low end and increase in small steps until stable.

King_Kedar likes this.
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Ahh good ol Wolfdale. I was able to get my E8500 up to 4.0 on a Tuniq Tower 120 I had a very strong EVGA nForce 680i. I would say that 3.8 should be feasible with proper cooling. Running the FSB high enough to achieve 4.0 on the 8400 might be difficult for lower end boards let alone being over 10 years old.

King_Kedar likes this.
  7. King_Kedar

King_Kedar Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5770HD 1GB
    After a lot of thinking and searching the net I found this gem:
    https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/product/spartan-3-lt-he1012/
    I'm thinking 'bout buying it, even tho it might not fit in my case I'm really interested in owning this cooler.
    Is this Spartan a good choice for the old E8400 or is it a overkill?

Sincerely
    King_Kedar :)

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Not that great just a little better than the stock cooler the others mentioned are much better. So no not overkill.

King_Kedar likes this.
  9. King_Kedar

King_Kedar Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5770HD 1GB
    The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is not available in any shop in my country. The Hyper 212 is too expensive for my budget (100PLN thats like 26$). So it's like almost 50 PLN over my budget. I'm really interested in the Spartan 3 from SilentiumPC because of one comment on the site I'm planning to buy it from.
    "Z procesorem Intel e8400 podkreconym do 3.8 GHz temperatura w spoczynku spadła z 68*C do 29-34*C . Do 40-46*C podczas grania w wiedźmina 3 na wysokich detalach i 62*C przy maksymalnym obciążeniu"
    Eng:
    "With Intel E8400 CPU overclocked to 3.8 GHz temps in idle dropped from 68 C to 29-34 C. 40 - 46 C while playing Witcher 3 on high details and 62 C with max load."
    The Spartan is like 60 PLN and I will have some money for a case vent as well so I think it will be a good addition to this grandpa PC.

Sincerely
    King_Kedar
    :)

10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    A bit difficult on G31 motherboard.

Also check:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    King_Kedar likes this.