Cooling of Asus TUF 3080 12GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jrkob, Aug 17, 2022.

1. jrkob

jrkob Member

Hello,

I got in an Asus TUF Gaming 3080 12GB a few days ago.
    I'm using Afterburner and when the fans are controlled by the card's firmware, the fans only starts spinning when the card's temperature rises above 55 degrees celsius.

My question: is this ok to let the card iddle at this temperature or do you recommend I override the cooling profile manually in Afterburner so that it iddles at lower temps ?

I live in a hot area and at 50% fan speed, the card will iddle at 45 degrees celsius. So, yes a nice 10 degrees cooler, but at the cost of having those fans run at 50% like 12 hours a day. Not sure if that's really healthy.

Thank you.

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The card will be more than fine at that temperature. You shouldn't have an issue with the fans too if you choose to keep them running.

jrkob likes this.
  3. jrkob

jrkob Member

Thanks a lot, perfect, I'll just use the firmware controlled cooling profile then.
    Jesus this card runs a lot lot more silently than my previous 1080 Ti FE with its blowers !

For my education, what kind of iddle temperature would become unhealthy for the card ? Again, I'm using my PC say 10-12 hours a day, most days.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    These cards are made to operate up to 93c, I'd be worried of thermal issues if your card is idling at 70ish because it means under full load it'll more than likely have complications like bad thermal pad contacts or fans not functioning, etc.

But basically you can keep the gpu at any heat under 93c and there shouldn't be any issues, given that the vram and vrm temps are still below their max temps.

Graphics cards are made to withstand heat, fans are made to spin :D
    Generally speaking though the cooler the card, the longer it'll live, the less rotations a fan makes, the longer the bearings last. Chances are though you'll upgrade before that happens.

jrkob likes this.

5. jrkob

jrkob Member

Lol ok, thanks a lot for the feedback and the education, very much appreciated !

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Nvidia cards have always ran hot. Those temps are normal.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Undying and jrkob like this.
  7. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    Almost all the graphic cards in the last 4 or 5 years have fans not spinning at all in idle to expand the fans lifetime, and they start spinnig at that 55 or 60ºC depending on the brand and model.

So you can stay relaxed with fan not spinning at all and just let the TUF doing the work by his own, thise TUFs are really nice on therms of temperatures.

8. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I have a Gigabyte 1660s and also live in hot country`(~30oc room temperature).
    Beside running fans at 50%, gpu clock speed is also set to default
    because vram run hot too and max operating temperature of vram is lower than gpu.

I wonder why you choose msi afterburner instead of ausu own gpu tweak program to
    tune your gpu ?

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My Msi 3080 SuprimX 10gig idles at 34c running 210/410 here in the sunny.....ish Uk, my ryzen 5800x sits around 35-40c idle and motherboard in the low 30s

10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It's better to keep fans running all the time. Constantly switching off/on fans lowers their durability/lifespan.

11. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    clearly you are much smarter than the engineers who have decided that, for the GPUs, the fans start to spin from a certain temperature precisely for that, to avoid the premature death of the fan, but hey clearly your opinion is much above any asus, evga, msi etc... engineer.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    My at Idle with Fans OFF is hovering at ~40deg. (Hot days) and 28-30deg. (Colder days).
    My advise make profile at 1200MHz | -300MHz DDR6 with 750mV & 30POW for daily net browsing/Movies and such.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I have a TUF 3080 10GB that I got not that long after launch almost 2 years ago now and I can tell you don't need to worry about its default fan behaviour if the 12GB variant's curves are anything like the 10GB model.

At first I thought about manually setting the fan to always be on as well, but after thinking it through decided that the part most likely to fail is the fans as usual, and that it'll be nice to not have as much dust build up. After nearly 2 years it has almost zero dust build up. I did a pseudo cleaning once that removed almost nothing.

14. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    I just dropped my power slider to 81, drops 10c while gaming, still runs like a dream.