Cooling issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkyR34, Oct 21, 2019.

1. SkyR34

SkyR34 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080
    Hi

Water cooling guru's, I need your help.
    My temperature skyrockets as soon as I stress the CPU, then drops back down almost immediately. (as seen in the picture)

[​IMG]

What's the likely cause of this? Low flow or water level..?
    I've tried reseating the CPU and waterblock without luck. Liquid seem to be flowing, and the radiator gets hot after awhile.
    It's a Deepcool GS Captain 120EX cooler and 9700k CPU.

Thank you.

2. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Are you overclocked? If the radiator is getting hot, then it sounds like you've saturated it over its cooling capacity/capability and it's only a 120mm AIO so, it's not going to be great, particularly with those hot coffee lake chips

3. SkyR34

SkyR34 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080
    Running at stock speed. It has been working fine for about 18 months, just recently this has started happening.

4. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Ah if it's a recent development then it's likely a fault somewhere, likely the pump not moving the water as fast as it should be. Can you hear any noise at all from the pump?

Edit: There's quite a few things to consider really, it could be the pump, it could be contamination and build up of "gunk" causing blockage restricting flow. Do you have another cooler? It would probably be best to rule out the CPU from potentially being at fault.

Does the cooler have any warranty left?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019

5. SkyR34

SkyR34 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080
    That's what I'm suspecting, although I can see tiny bubbles moving towards the pump now and then. Might be some obstruction somewhere then.
    I think I'm just gonna have to try an air cooler I got lying around and see if it still heats up just as quick.

Edit: The warranty is gone. I just checked, and I've had the cooler just over 2 years, not 18 months as I thought. (time flies)

6. krazymagic

krazymagic Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    what are you using to stress the cpu to 100c ? If youre firing up prime 95, then your picture shows entirely normal behavior. The cpu with avx workload will hit 100c in prime almost instantly and begin thermal throttle. If you however are seeing this under a normal cpu load, one that isnt pushing massive current through the cpu like prime 95, then I might would look at what else is going on.

7. SkyR34

SkyR34 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080
    Just running a game makes the temperature go just as high, only a little bit slower.
    I used IntelBurnTestV2 in this instance, but I used to be able to run it without getting even close to these temps.

8. krazymagic

krazymagic Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    do you have a fan header on the water pump where you can see RPM values? If you do, verify that the waterpump is operating at full capacity. IntelBurnTest is a brutal stress test application that uses AVX similar to prime 95. Even with everything operating nomrally it will push a 9700k to thermal throttle nearly. I run a 280mm water cooler and a 9700k mystelf. Mine is overclocked to 5.1ghz with -1 avx offset. Intelburntest and prime 95 will both push me to 100c under avx workload, and it will sit at 100c even while the cpu is thermal throttled to to 4.7 or so ghz. Its important I think to make sure this isnt what youre seeing. The image you show isnt anything scary to me when you tell me youre running an avx workload on a 9700k, In games however you should NEVER hit 100c. My Normal load temps are more in the 60's to 70's while gaming for hours. Even other stress tests that dont push massive current will sit in the 70's. This is a more realistic load. Prime95 and intelburntest put unusually high workloads on a cpu, causing it to suck massive amounts of current and power and it will drive temps to thermal throttle quickly. Verify you are seeing what you think youre seeing first. For example, do you hit 100c when just running 3dmark or something? if so then you have an issue.

If you find out you are 100% having an issue, then it almost has to be down to your water pump, which in an AIO water cooler is the little head that sits on top of the cpu. Make sure its getting power and the plug is in properly, etc. These pumps work a lot like aquarium water filters, there is a little gear in that head with fan blades that spins just like a fan, causing a vaccume that sucks the water through the cooling system. If that little pump is failing then you have little or no water moving through the system.

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    If its recent then i i would blame the pump as well.

It might be buildup as well but i doubt it tbh, you would need a whole zerg colony in your waterblock to rise temps by that much.

10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Throw away liquid trash and get air cooler. Bam, problem solved. AIO was invented to mess with people.