Cooler Master Introduces New Air Cooler MA410M (with RGB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Tri-X 3840
    A lot of money for what is essentially a pretty mediocre cooler, at that price it has some very strong competition to contend with.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    If you're looking at history though, Cooler Master has had some great coolers in the past. Hyper 212 line for example, but the issue now is you're paying for RGB at this price point.

4. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Tri-X 3840
    For many people there is certainly nothing wrong with this cooler performance wise as at it's core it seems to essentially be a Hyper 212 which has always been great value for money and actually very good cooling for it's size.

The Hyper212 can suffer thermal runaway (uncontrollable rising temps until throttling or crash occur) with hotter CPUs, something other coolers in this price range shouldn't suffer from.
    I was thinking with the spread of 8 core chips and people trying to OC them, this issue could raise it's head again with coolers of this class.

5. vbetts

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    To be fair though, most people who have experience in overclocking wouldn't(or shouldn't at least) try to overclock and cool an 8 core cpu on a 4 heat pipe cooler like this with a single fin tower. The 212 was never meant for super high overclocks anyway.

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Tri-X 3840
    True enough, although I have seen a few who were not aware of it's limitations.

I love my Noctua NH-D14 and that company's willingness to update older coolers mounting systems for free, or cheap (£6.49) if you lost your receipt etc.
    Perhaps higher end coolers like this end up cheaper in the long run :)

jura11 likes this.
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    But the downside is the unwieldy size and weight. It's a dream and unlikely to be anywhere near realistic but some super heat absorbent gel would be nice ha ha. Heat needs to be dissipated though, led through these pipes and then blown outside the case preferably with good air circulation and ambient temps.
    (And the dust! Compressed air is quite useful if handled carefully.)

EDIT:
    And these are LED's, hmm wonder if that could be tied to overall temps. Blue to red or something. Well 16 million colors on a spinning fan it is. It doesn't count unless it looks like a Christmas party in the chassis I guess.

..LED gaming chairs next?

EDIT: Auroza...of course it'd exist already.
    And the lightbowl...that really didn't need LED.

Well nice to see CPU air cooling still going even if it's in the direction of blinking lights.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. vbetts

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    I prefer big air coolers(call me old school I guess :p) to AIO coolers. Only time I would say get that is if you want to show off your motherboard some, or go full blown water cooling!

jura11 and Venix like this.
  9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Tri-X 3840
    I ended up a big air fan for quite some time after an aborted watercooling project from back when that was a new concept!

But with my 6c/12t Xeon X5680 I needed something More and finally finished the project crowning it with a huge AlphaCool 420 which is about 61mm think. Kinda overkill, but kept my OC's nice and cool ^^

I retired my NH-D14 to my spare PC where it happily passively cools a 3570K in a case with good airflow lol
    Looks good that way with no fans mounted on it :)

10. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    yeah i prefer air coolers too way less things to go wrong with em i guess i am old school too ? but i really trust an aircooler to last as long a pc is operational even up to 10 years (( my brother retire my old phenom 2 720 a bit before easter .... and the scythe nynja 2 was standing proud on it to the last day since day 1 with just 1 fan change at some point ! " while i see aio's of that era ...corroded with failing pumps ....or leaks ... or the aio's came 1year or so after ? ((obviously i am not counting the thermal paste change every time you remember that you have to do it finally :p goes on both solutions :p ))

11. tensai28

tensai28 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080TI aorus xtreme
    The hyper 212 was great and I used it for years but then discovered the MSI core frozr l. Costs almost exactly as much (~45usd here in Taiwan) and gave my cpu as much as a 12c reduction in temps on occt. Right now that's my top recommendation for price/performance.

I'm running my cpu (6600k) at 4.6ghz and a 4.3ghz cache with 1.39v adaptive voltage and never go over 76c on occt. If it wasn't for the high voltage and my CPU just not wanting to hit 4.7, I'd be pushing even higher clocks. Obviously there's much better coolers but at this price tag I can't complain and it beats my best price/performer hyper 212x by a decent margin.

Last edited: May 23, 2018