Convince me why I should not get a 5600x....I dare you!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Airbud, Mar 16, 2021.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Undying likes this.
  2. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I took this route with no complaints, I was after gaming performance.
    Its a seriously good CPU and you might actually be able to buy one!

DannyD likes this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I bought a 3600 when I thought my 6700K machine was dead through water damage.
    But it sprang back to life and was able to compare gaming performance with a 1080ti.
    I didnt test games needing more than 4core/8thread but for those the 6700K was approx 20% faster in gaming.
    IPC of the 3600 is not that good.
    fyi

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have never purchased an Intel based system, I upgraded from an FX 8320 so I have no way of knowing first hand what a higher end intel cpu will do.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, I upgraded from an i5 2500K to a 3700X and it's great. 8 cores for 280€. Why would I ever spend 340€ for 6 cores instead? Makes no sense to me. Games are going to be GPU-bound anyway. How many games are there even that are CPU-bound? And even if some games end up CPU-bound, that happens once you reach frame rates like 200 or 300 anyway, so at that point, who even cares.

Whenever you see CPU benchmarks, it's usually like "and here's the results at 720p with low details. See? The 5600X is faster!". Oh really? You play your games like this? I know I don't. What I do is raise the resolution and graphics settings up to the point where my GPU can still run it smoothly. And I bet you do the same as well.

It's "you don't need more than 4 cores for gaming" all over again. That's what these people told me back then. You have to realize that these people assume you're building a new PC every 3 or 4 years. I intend to keep my builds for at least 8 years or so.

So no. Don't get a 5600X and don't listen to youtubers and "review sites" that are usually just glorified forms of marketing outlets who are trying to sell you new CPUs every couple years. The real choice here is the 3700X (or 3800X if you can find it as cheap) and the 5800X. The 5600X makes no sense at the price AMD is trying to sell it. Because 3 years down the road you're gonna wish you had an 8 core CPU and then those same youtubers will start uploading videos titled "are 6 cores still enough for gaming?" And you can guess what the answer is gonna be.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I mean, if you're gonna go that far why not just go ahead and get the 5900X at that point -- MSRP is $100 bucks bump from 5800X and you get double the cash and 50% more cores and a very slightly higher max boost clock.

Of course you don't get the single monolithic CCX like you do with the 5800X (it's two CCX's iirc), but even still it did seem to generally hold the slightly higher performance and 1% lows most typically in Gamer's Nexus's tests. Seems like the 5600X and the 5900X are better values for what you're getting VS the 5800X.

Perhaps they'll eventually come out with a 5700X? That would be pretty sweet.

8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    In the Digital Foundry videos for the 3900X and 2080 Super they did find that in some games they were still running into CPU bound microstutter sometimes @1440p. Depending on one's setup, they may be GPU bound most of the time while still encountering asset streaming/CPU bound 1% lows on occasion which I find to be pretty jarring when they do happen as this usually manifests as a microstutter that you can see even with VRR -- my understanding is that a fast CPU can help to mitigate that sort of thing.

If it were me I'd probably pay the extra money for the 5800X (though i'd go ahead and get the 5900X at that point myself) over the 5600X, but from a raw "frame per dollar" standpoint the 5600X seems like a better value even in multithreaded games going off the tests i've seen from Gamer's Nexus/Hardware Unboxed. Whether one trusts the testing outlets is a subject of debate/contention i'm sure, but some of them have pretty good testing seems to me.

Especially in light of this whole Nvidia/AMD scheduler CPU overhead issue, it seems like the CPU can be an underestimated component -- ideally you really don't want to be CPU bound at all (unless that's the result of an FPS cap) going off of what Digital Foundry has said in their tests because it can lead to a waste of GPU potential and worse still CPU bound microstutter when it can't keep up for whatever reason.

Perhaps I'm missing something or my understanding is incomplete?

9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @Airbud I'm gonna wait for Zen 4 and Intel 10 nm desktop parts before upgrading myself, but that's just me. I don't "need" a new PC yet as my own rig is still fairly modern/does most of what I need it to do so it all depends on how pressured you are at the moment.

Right now does not seem like a great time to be buying parts though -- I was looking at the new Ryzen CPUs (5800X / 5900X) and the 6800 XT and 6900 XT and dang are they rare/expensive atm. Not a good time to be building seems to me. My fear is that it'll stay like this forever lol.

Now, some people take the position that since there's always something better around the corner you may as well just upgrade now when you feel you need to, but my issue with this is that not all releases or release years are created equal. It's not as though we get a linear increase of X amount with each release, it's more like every now and again a significant release will occur which brings with it a meaningful leap forward then that's iterated on for sometime then another meaningful leap occurs has been my observation.

So, for example the 8700K was a tremendously good gaming CPU when it came out. Looking at the gains it had vs the prior year it was a big upgrade. Now compare that with the last couple years from intel and their gains haven't been stellar. Ryzen 5000 seems like a great launch to me as well, but given Zen 4 is supposed to be on a true node shrink all signs point to it being a significant release. Same for Intel 10 nm desktop parts for that matter.

Since I don't "need" to upgrade yet, I prefer to wait for the next "big jump" so to speak. Depending on how pressured you are now you could opt to wait or just jump in now. Ryzen 5000 are excellent, but if it were me I'd just bite the bullet and get the 5900X personally instead of the 5600X. That said, if you're financially pressured then yes, most tech reviewers have stated it's much better value for pure gaming. But if you're all value focused then maybe Intel 10th gen and something like the 10600K would be worth a look instead if all you care about is gaming.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That is true. However, this "hitching" issue gets way worse when games start to fully utilize more cores and you run out of cores to spare.

Going back in history to the Sandy Bridge era, the 8 threads of the i7 were considered completely inconsequential for games. The i5 was all you needed. Then a few years later, games started actually utilizing all 4 cores. Suddenly, the 8 threads of the i7 resulted in a bit less hitching, and going to a 6 core CPU (even one that wasn't actually faster per-core compared to a very overclocked i5) the hitching issues almost completely went away. For a bit during that period, people started buying used, high-core Xeons off ebay. They were slower in single-thread benchmarks, but games ran smoother on average will less hitching.

I expect the same will happen again. Once games make better use of 6 cores, 8 core CPUs will experience less hitches. Therefore, it seems to me an 8 core CPU, even if it has somewhat lower per-core perf, is going to be more future-proof.

If you upgrade your CPU every 3 or 4 years, then you're probably fine with 6 cores. If you keep your builds for longer than that, it seems 6 cores is not a good idea to me. The OP is currently on a Sandy Brige (2600K). So I assume that, like me, being future-proof is important.

BlindBison likes this.

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    $260 for a 8/16
    4.6G turbo
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intel-Co...did=&affiliates_ad_id=568844&campaign_id=9383

$135 for a 16g 4133 c18 kit bdie kit
    https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820221073
    don't bother with a K-sku.that 400mhz will cost you $40,but more importantly,extra heat and temperatures.you'll get the same performance returns with a faster memory kit and tighter timings,without a drastic power/heat/temp increase.those viper kits oc very well,got mine to 4133 c16-16-16-31 trfc400 at 1.45v

$180 for a decent z490 board
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-mp...=198&refdomain=pcpartpicker.com&skuId=6412364

I wouldn't buy a six core these days unless discounted.$300 - nah.
    even though 5600x is good.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So many people tossing the 5600X under the bus so fast, I'm disappointed in you guru3d. Not everyone needs 8 cores.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    except he stated it's for a gaming system
    10700 at $260 is better value than 5600x and it's an octa.sixcores are already being pushed pretty high in thread utilization,seen 70-80% regularly.is that good advice to tell him to buy one at $300 ?

5800x or bust.otherwise he can get an intel octa for $200 less and frankly,he won't notice much difference in gaming.

Undying likes this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yup, i'm at 5.1ghz 1.27v 24/7
    I always planned on a nice i9 11900k to install on mobo later on, but not another 8-core, was hoping for a nice 12-core tbh, even a 10 would have made me jump.

cucaulay malkin and Mufflore like this.
  15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Be a Man,buy what you want!
    Errm,but most important if you play in 1440p is a good graphic card which you can find. :)

Newegg?is not an American company anymore,its take it by a se-asian company named Hangzhao Liaison Interactive Information Technology Co., Ltd. (a friend company of that Huang from Nv)

16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    You can't afford it. Wait for the next round of handouts.

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    For real? That explains a lot. That means my hour long rant to one of their representatives who I gave permission to use my call for quality control and corporate training probably has them scared as hell. Wow, I'm probably Hitler according to them.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Why you should not get a 5600X?

Well...

umm...

aahh...

Ask something else! :D

EDIT: ah, you apparently got the 10700KF.

Which is fine.

Traitor...

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    lol! He got some damn good bang for his buck.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'd like a good bang too.

Wait, what are we talking about?

Turanis and fantaskarsef like this.