Control

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its fun thats the most important. You cant judge the combat by its simplicity.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yes we have played the game and are familiar with how it works.

If you only use telekinesis then surely what you described is exactly the experience you get.

You gain health by damaging and killing enemies which motivates offensive play.
    If you try to stay behind cover etc. you will have a bad time.
    Which probably leads to an experience where checkpoints don't seem to fit.

You don't like the game then you don't but it's not "rubbish" because of you not liking it no matter how many times you write about it here.

AuerX likes this.
  3. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    It is rubbish to me because of the reasons (and possibly many more) I specified. It is up to you if you agree with my reasoning or not, but personal attacks are not going to change my opinion whatsoever.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Didn't see any personal attacks there man.
    People are allowed to have different opinions, but, I agree with the above... Control is not rubbish. Far from it, it's easily one of Remedy's best games.
    And the kinetic energy displayed during combat is a big reason why.

5. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Control it is an awesome frigging PC game ,that is fun to play.

Maddness, Xtreme512 and Undying like this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    There was no personal attack in what I wrote, not sure why you thought there was.

I just got the impression you were going to repeat yourself until everyone agrees the game is objectively bad.

7. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    The same could be said about some people here constantly repeating that they like the game. Are you trying to imply that positive posts (about anything) are welcome and negative are not? That is one sided discussion and therefore completely pointless one.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Nobody is saying one or the other is not allowed.

I personally, and I mean no offense, don't see the point in continuing to talk about a game you dislike. If I dislike a game, I may make a comment about that, why... and then move on.
    I don't tend to revisit topics for titles I don't like, I don't see any reason to put time or energy into something I didn't enjoy.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I really enjoyed the game, but the level design and boss battles did become very frustrating for me at times leading me to eventually flip over to youtube guides and eventually god mode by the end.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Boss battles can be frustrating and hard. I had some trouble at the end of the expeditions dlc but nothing i cant handle. Fun, game and i still cant believe someone does not like the gunplay.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I believe boss battles are very much a personal preference and pretty hard to execute in shooters in general, both first and third person.
    Some people like fights requiring precise execution and timing, some like pattern recognition or hitting weak points, some like a fast paced run-and-gun boss etc.
    Some would want all of that from each boss.

I liked bosses in Control, had some variation to them and required some thinking. Not great but for me boss fights aren't that much of a thing in a game like this.
    You can die easily and even cheaply in some cases but altering strategy can and often will help.

Swap to different weapon forms or personal mods or think if some ability you aren't using might help.
    For example I basically never used the shield until some boss made me realize if I can "block" an attack it's a lot easier.
    Don't remember what boss but dodging some attack required near perfectly timed double-dash and even then you took some damage iirc.
    Failing the dodge was usually a death.
    Shield = easy mode :)
    Deploy just before getting hit, block, drop the shield and attack.

I always like games that emphasize right tool for the right job and do it well, ie. you do not need to use X, but you'll find it very useful if you do.
    Especially if discovering X is left to the player.

However if there's one thing I wish the game had it's a consistent stunning ability.
    Rockets and those sticky grenades do stagger enemies but it's very brief, just interrupts their animation for a second or so.
    Having some AoE stun that deals little or no damage but stuns everything within AoE for a few seconds would work I think.

It could and should have a very high ammo or energy cost or have a cooldown after use (if ability) to prevent spamming.
    Perhaps it could be an alt-fire for some weapon form that consumes most or all of your ammo, requiring you to follow up with abilites if you use it, for example.
    Or vice versa.

Ground slam attack from levitate is similar but it's a high damage attack that consumes all or almost all energy.
    If the slam wasn't quite enough to kill something and you're on low health, you're in trouble having to wait for energy to recharge.
    For that reason stunning would be better as weapon form I think, running out of energy means you can't dodge.

Btw that's one criticism I will level towards Control and other fast-paced games (like Doom Eternal):
    dodging should not be a timed ability, being unusable if on cooldown or out of energy etc. when your base movement speed is not enough to reliably avoid attacks.

It's a crucial survival mechanic and taking it away is borderline artificial difficulty, nothing more frustrating - in the wrong way - than dying to not having dodge when you needed it.
    If someone just wants to spam dodge then let them, good luck trying to hit anything doing that, but it does allow for dodging whenever it's needed.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  12. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Control PC Gameplay 4K HDR

13. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    going for a second play, probably soon.

i rushed a bit with Control so i wanna re-play the full edition i own in Steam and take my time.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Im not replaying it until i got a raytracing capable gpu. :)

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    if you're playing with guns only you're missing the point.
    the engine was built from the grounds with environment destruction in mind.you fight using the environment and it's a lot of fun.
    guns are more like an exotic addition and they're great as long as you have them customized correctly,damage is not the only important factor
    I suggest you go play a shooter.

2070S dlss 2.0 quality preset rtx max (1440p) ran mostly in mid-50s/low-60s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are on dlss "1.9" still, 2.0 is even better.
    better than native 1440p for sure.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Undying likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Epic pulling out all the stops.

18. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    What? Are you new on forums? First of all you are replying to a post that has absolutely no relevance to what you just wrote. And secondly:

19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    yes walk me through it

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I just played this for about 2 hours. I'm kinda bored already :p The location doesn't change. Just corridors and rooms in the same building.

Does it get better later on? So far it feels like a cheap indie game that didn't have the budget to implement different locations. It's the same everywhere.

Also the game looks kinda blurry and gray and has generally a very "washed out" look to it. Quite depressing to look at. And there's a lot of texture pop-in. Many textures are blurry and it takes a long time for them to appear at a sharper resolution. The game doesn't even want to use half of my VRAM. I have 6GB, but the game only uses 2-2.5GB.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    itpro likes this.