Control

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm waiting for 3060 Ampere

angelgraves13 likes this.
  2. 0458315753

0458315753 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Does the game use 4x MSAA with DLSS? The MSAA setting is disabled (grayed out) with ray-tracing, but returns back to 4x.

I have i7 @ 3.50GHz and RTX 2070S, the frame rate is heavily underperforming based on my exceptions. My DLSS resolution is 960x540 (the lowest available for 1080p) and the game can drop to around 40fps or so in fights, 50fps when no enemies are around — my optimized settings (maxed out otherwise):

RTX preset: medium
    global reflections: medium
    volumetric lighting: medium
    motion blur: off

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    game isn t well optimized, and needs a 6vram card as minimum to perform 60 fps

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Well, i tried this alleged "poster child" for dlss and raytracing... and surprise surprise, i am "slightly" unimpressed. Even upscaling from 1440p to 4k with dlss is all too visibly upscaled, with that classic oversharpened look to try and compensate for the lower render res... looks horrible. And then the latency at which everything happened with dlss and ray tracing enabled was obnoxious... everything trailing after your curser, rather than just being fluid.
    And don't get me started on the raytracing itself... a MASSIVE performance hit that halfs the fps for slightly better looking reflections? Yeah, no thanks. I will take native 4k with traditional screenspace reflections, thank you very much.

I have said it before and i will say it again - nvidia's raytracing is nothing more than a gimmick in the lines with physx. And dlss... yeah, just delete it from the driver, really.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    We need some form of upscaling technology, even Hollywood movies CGI aren't raytraced at 4K.

Redemption80 likes this.
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, it's one of the most disappointing things about UHD movies, you need to watch old movies if want true 2160p.

Many recent movies that have any sort of visual effect, and that is more than just action movies, have the CG rendered at 2k as it takes too much processing power/time/storage to do it any higher and that leads to the whole movie being mastered at something like 2k and then upscaled for things like UHD and no doubt again when/if 8K become mainstream.

XenthorX likes this.
  7. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Depends on the movie. Some films render at 8K, others at 6K, assuming they have a 4K DI.

XenthorX likes this.
  8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    I meant the CGI part of movies, really i have no clue as i am not in this industry,
    But i doubt the CGI raytracing is done at 4K, even Pixar movies aren't released at 4K.

BUT - while looking around i found out that Blade Runner 2049 was released in 4K and marked as 'Master 4K' so CGI might have been done at 4K or were upscaled to the master resolution, i have no clue really.
    Some recent movies from the last two years might have had CGI done at 4K, i have no clue really.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I just finished Control yesterday (the main story) and it was incredible. Pure Remedy genius. Love the look of the game, it reminds me of the Unigine Superposition benchmark. The combat was some of the smoothest, and coolest since the original Max Payne imo. Technically there were some flaws but I don't know what the main contributing factor was. Sometimes I would be playing and the textures were just totally flat and bland, but a simple alt+tab back and forth would correct the issue.

XenthorX likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    There are quite a few movies that have their CGI done at 4k, including blade runner 2049.

https://real4kbluray.com/

But yeah, most of the CGI intensive movies are "fake" 4k, aka upscaled to 4k.

But games aren't movies, and while a movie can look brilliant when upscaled, the same can't be said for games. They can do alooooot of post production work on movies to do super high quality upscales, where it truly looks like 4k - all the marvel movies are upscaled to 4k, but have a look at something like thor ragnarok on 4k bluray - looks absolutely amazing. Doing upscaling on the fly with pc games just doesn't. And i will never ever use it.

For gaming it's native res or downsampling - otherwise it looks like crap.

XenthorX likes this.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    The few time i tried DLSS 2.0 i was really impressed tbh, i'm glad this option is on the table. Original DLSS 1.0 is just a waste of time, i preferred playing with resolution scaling than using DLSS 1.0 whenever it was available.

Party Poison likes this.
  12. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

I like Raytacing, I use it mainly for screenshots or SP games, Anything MP I turn it off. But its a nice option to have and play around with.
    DLSS I love, Sure 2.0 is much much better, But even 1.0 had its good points. Monster hunter at 4k for example

But as for the " poster child " for me that's Metro Exodus, The game was night and day with it off and on.

eGGroLLiO and XenthorX like this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    The in train with/without raytracing is day and night in metro.

eGGroLLiO and Undying like this.
  14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    So, I've not read this thread to avoid spoilers, and if anyone wants to avoid them I'll do some carriage returns...

Ok, so I just completed this game, sort of. It was inconclusive - Dylan is in a coma, the hiss is still there. I have to clean it up. Darling is gone, so is Trench.

Have I just got a 'bad ending' or do I get the 'better' more full outcome once I've done a bunch of side stuff to clean the hiss up?

The game was mind bending, not Remedy's most fun outing (Still Max Payne and Alan Wake for me) but its most creative and technically incredible, but it gets better after the campaign ends, at least it has for me - it's now kind of open world where I can do what I want when I want and clean stuff up at my pace.

But I'm still curious if I got a 'bad ending' - ps if there's a further ending, please don't spoil it for me. Just knowing I'm playing more towards something is enough, thank you.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Bought The Foundation DLC and it's great so far. I haven't played the game since it came out so I forgot my Graphical Settings but managed to find something which is OK. Didn't the game have DLSS 2.0? I don't see a great deal of difference but maybe it's there.

One thing that bugs me a lot is the occasional stuttering and also when opening/closing the map. Any way to fix it? I did the Expolit Protection thing but it didn't fix all the stutter.

Edit : Lastest hotfix drivers fixed the issue.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020

16. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    August 28 release on Steam...at least according to rumors.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The exclusivity deal with Epic was for one year, it came out on Aug 27th last year.
    So, it'll be releasing on Steam at some point that week.

18. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Now this is the one i was waiting for. :)

20. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 SUPER
    Omg Alan Wake :V