Control Panel/Inspector has no effect on Rainbow 6: Siege except...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Phil Tuncap, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    V-Sync settings, and only if you're in fullscreen mode. Nothing else works that I've tried (Antialiasing, Texture Filtering, Common sections). Any reason why/how certain games can override options changed in the Panel/Inspector?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The driver sometimes ignores settings that cause issues in certain games. There's sometimes "ignore" flags to be seen in inspector.

Or the settings simply don't apply to the game's engine. Anti-aliasing needs the game's engine to be compatible with MSAA. Modern games are not, which means the anti-aliasing setting in the nvidia panel will do nothing at best, or just have a negative impact on performance at worst.

Other times, settings are ignored because the game developer asked nvidia to make them non-configurable because they can be used for cheating.

3. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Well I didnt see any behavior flags turned on. There was a big section for OpenGL that was hidden as "unknown" and has things checked to disable, but I dont know what uses OGL honestly, I thought d3d/dx was what nvidia and ati cards mostly used. I know when RivaTuner shows its onscreen display, everything that ive ran shows D3D when monitoring your fps. And the way the game (r6 siege) acts when trying to use vsync, or try to change refresh rate, is very bugged, u have to change the .ini settings in order to change ur refresh rate in full screen mode. Just seems Ubisoft is overlooking a lot of small issues ...

4. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    Oh and u mentioned AA needs the games engine to be compatible with MSAA and that most modern games arent. what about FSAA, CSAA, TXAA? I know that siege has TXAA and FSAA in their options, and that TXAA uses MSAA with othrr things

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I've seen modern games that support MSAA, but the driver can't override it. Seems to be normal with many modern games. I guess they use MSAA in a way the driver just can't override.

6. Phil Tuncap

Phil Tuncap Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4096mb
    I tried MFAA too and doesnt look like it took either. I think this is similar to phone manufacturers locking down some of the bootloaders to where u cant root them. I see it as a person who builds their own computer. They have full admin aƧcess, its their fault if they screw anything up. Same with games, give people the privledge to tweak their graphic settings as they see fit. Warn them of the precautions and known issues, but dont make it to where you can only change what they want you to change. Tyranny!