Continuing GTX 680 VSYNC Problems (RAGE) (Video Inside)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Brendruis, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    If you have 3D vision setup, and you was actually satisfied with GTX580, your best option is to downgrade to 580 ('s). From your videos, i see constant stuttering (but maybe that's monitor problem, ghosting? or maybe cam?), but picture is more clear on 560.

I used nVidia cards for a long time, very few ATI/AMD, mostly mid to low range cards. You know on all forums people talk how nVidia drivers are superior to AMD/ATI, and that is true, pure fact. It has more features etc, but too much optimisations can bring more problems than gains (in mine opinion). So i went for AMD again (few days ago), first things i noticed: some games have less FPS (few) than nvidia similar card tested on same PC even tho it is weaker a bit, better image quality (on AMD by far..., nVidia looks washed out...every single card i tested), better performance in general (despite lower FPS in some games), no more lag (with or without V-SYNC). On some games that use more CPU power, nVidia seems to be a little more smoother, but that's just a few games, and have in mind that mince CPU is very slow, but in cost of introducing even more lag (driver optimisation?). Overall, never again i will go green... maybe if they change the way of drivers and how it works, better more raw power with same performance than optimised...

Anyway, if you where satisfied with 580's go with them (to save 3D vision setup etc.), or test things i said, and if you agree, sell that crap, and go to AMD. Cheers.

2. Omnicurse22

Omnicurse22 Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 2GB
    i went from sli 480's to 670's and i don't regret it, i'm just gonna wait for the issues to get resolved, because at the end of the day you still have a lower power big banging baller card, It's had less then 2 official driver releases, we can't really expect there to NOT be problems, its a brand new series

3. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    My monitor does have some ghosting at 60Hz since it is a 120Hz monitor it uses TraceFree to remove some of it.. this isn't the issue I speak of though... it is stuttering also because it drops below 60fps.

I expect there to be issues like incompatibility with some games, but honestly this issue is pretty inexcusable especially after it has been out for nearly 4 months. It doesn't matter how low you lower your settings in games, you cannot achieve solid 60 fps. When I'm playing games I always lower settings until I can achieve that 60 fps 99% of the time...unless it is impossible due to game CPU optimization limitation.

With 680, it isn't possible.. if you want VSYNC smoothness look elsewhere for now until major fixes address the problem.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Right, so everytime a reviewer has actually tested for image quality in games and said 99% of the time it's the same image quality (unless it's high AF or a driver bug eg. shadows/textures that gets fixed later on) we should just ignore that and take the fud you give us.

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, well, that's why this forum is, look all the opinions, and make your decision based on them and your own experience/testing. Hope we help ;).

No, i play all of my games (very few) with 16xAF (some on 8xAF, that's high, i think there is no higher settings than that), also when testing, use 16xAF and 4xAA. Here is few example for you: NFS Shift, same resolution, 16xAF, 4xAA, all details on maximum, when i started firs time that game on AMD card, i thought it is dif. game, it looks much better than on nVidia. To be honest, even Desktop looks more clear, so i don't really know what those in reviews look at, but i know what i see. Maybe nVidia use different IQ for lower to mid range cards? I don't know how to explain it different than "washed out image", not so clear, it looks like there is a bit of fog if you like. But i can't say that for high end GPU's on nVidia side, because i tested none.

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/anno-1...mance-review/3

http://www.guru3d.com/article/hawx-p...mance-review/3

http://www.guru3d.com/article/call-o...ormance-test/3

http://www.guru3d.com/article/far-cr...mance-review/3

http://www.guru3d.com/article/brothe...mance-review/3

I can go searching through other sites but I'm not going to be responding after I saw the hardon you had over the Intel/AMD threads and we've been OT enough. You want to believe what you want, that's fine, just stop spreading fud.

7. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Think we're getting off topic but if you are talking about color reproduction then you need an accurate display to even begin a comparison.

If you are just speaking of your preference when it comes to colors on the desktop, nVidia does offer adjustments in the driver and there are many tools out there to assist you in finding a balance that is to your liking. I find I can make an nVidia card 'look' like an ATI card on the desktop by adding more saturation and arguably over-saturating the image but much of it is down to personal preference. What looks good to me and is accurate might not look good to you because you prefer the more vibrant colors.

If there is one thing that isn't personal opinion it is that there is definitely huge VSYNC issues with the GTX 680 (and 670 and 690).. just look at the thread just below this one.. the guy says he has the same issue drops to 53 fps in League of Legends and stutters in BF3.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Monitors and drivers default settings can have a lot to do with it. My feeling is that Nvidia drivers at default settings are 'neutral' so to speak, and may not make colors extra rich perhaps (at default) so they may look *initially* washed out on *some* monitors. Which may lead some to use Digital Vibrance to address this. On more than one monitor I've had dramatic differences ranging from 'seemingly' washed out to highly vibrant. On my latest monitor (Samsung S27A950D), I use zero DV, zero contrast/gamma adjustments, yet have incredibly rich, vibrant colors and breathtaking IQ.

Also reminds me of high-end audio. A friend has an expensive audio rig and when I hear it, I say wheres the bass? Theres no huge thumping bass that jumps out at you. His pre-amp has no tone controls, which to him are anathema. Everything should be as neutral as possible, as the recording engineers intended, according to him. My feeling is the same principle is applied by Nvidia towards IQ. But its easily adjustable (unlike absent tone controls) to bring any level of vibrance or neutrality you want.

Bottom line, IQ is the mainstay of graphics cards. If I suspected the slightest IQ disadvantage of Nvidia cards, I would switch sides in a heartbeat. But as using various monitors have proven to me, it just aint the case. I think the many previous AMD owners who jump back and forth between NV cards never see this as an issue either.

9. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    How strange it isn't fixed for some people. After reading this thread I did some small tests myself. I fired up some "old" games which are CS:source, HL2 and COD4 MW. These games should be no problem for a GTX680 to maintain 60fps. I'm using the 304.48 drivers btw. After playing each game for over an hour, I've come to the conclusion that vsync is working the way it should. I get a steady 60fps. What I'm curious about, are there other people with the same experience as me?

10. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    VSYNC is not working as it should. It depends on the game, and some notice the problem more than others. CS:S works reasonably well but there are still issues.. it becomes very clear when you put it on 120Hz... it can't stay in sync at 120Hz at all!! open FRAPS and see for yourself.

11. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Read post below, if you are interested. As i said already, in forums, you look at dif. opinions, test it by yourself, and then draw a conclusion, that is the point of forum in fact. I say what i see, no fud, some people did explain in posts below, maybe that is the case, so read.

Yes, what looks good for you, may look bad for me or otherwise, i don't even know why people use VSYNC to be honest :). IT destroys purpose of strong GPU, or maybe for high resolutions it makes sense.

I think you are onto something here, that was actually whole point, with default settings, colors look more rich on AMD/ATI back in days (it goes from GF2 and R8500 era). For example, i have very wide options to adjust monitor color/brightness/contrast etc., but i adjusted it on nvidia card, and that was OK IQ for me, but when changed to AMD, i saw big difference on same monitor settings. I use CRT monitor by the way, same thing is noticed xx years ago when going from FX5500 to R9550, but with different monitor (philips). If you can't see on some monitors, i think those monitors are not capable of reproducing high quality picture, or they are connected digitally and there is really no difference (don't have digital display to test it).

12. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    If I had a 6770 I wouldn't use VSYNC either.. when you are below 60fps VSYNC off is preferrable. VSYNC on does not 'destroy the purpose of a strong GPU' it gives you smoother gameplay experience and no tearing if you have said strong GPU to handle it. The problem is we have GPUs capable of the performance, there is just a problem with this setting where the rubber can't meet the road so to speak.

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yes, i know what's the problem, saw from the video. But there are monitors out there that do not have tearing at all (LCD), they use some sort of anti-tearing tech. If you have spare money, look for those, and get rid of V-SYNC forever (always good thing, trust me). Than, this bug with GTX680 will be non important, if they work good without ofc. I never really had tearing problem, only maybe at 85Hz or lower, but even when using 100Hz and FPS well over 100 (200-300 to be exact) there is no tearing at all, picture is clean same as v-sync ON. Did you try to limit FPS and v-sync OFF? Try to limit it to 59 or 60, and see how it goes, but turn off vsync.

Also, trz to limit FPS with different programs, nVidia driver, but also Dxtory (i think that program works best, one guy here on guru 3D suggested it, find somewhere on forum).

14. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    I was using Fraps AND MSI Afterburner OSD while I did my testing and my experience was totally different than yours. It's not that I don't believe you, you've proved it with your videos but the dips I see in your videos are non-existent with my setup and I'm using a single card. I specifically looked for the dips and stuttering while playing the games and I don't have them. I have to mention, I am using a 60Hz monitor. That is why I asked if there are others who don't have this issue.

15. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    Brendruis, when I see these comments, I have to ask: have you considered the possibility that your present trouble may be related to your system? Either a problem with one of your cards, or a problem with some other component? The following is a vital test I think you should carry out: Take one of your 680s (preferably the one which is unused when you disable sli), and install it for the purposes of this test in your other machine, the one containing the 560ti. See if you kepler experience is any better. Did you buy your 680s together? Same brand?

wth r u talking about? who said that?

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's down for maintenance.

17. undercoverb0ss

undercoverb0ss Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    After doing some testing I can confirm the drop in FPS in TF2.

I have a 690 GTX and with Vsync off I get 200+ fps at 2560x1600.

With it on I get random drops to 58-59.

18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Hmm ok I figured out something here... I think maybe my custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner is causing the framerate drops? Maybe every time Afterburner is polling the driver or it causes a framerate drop?

I disabled the custom fan profile in Afterburner and suddenly it holds at 60fps constantly now. Only downside is my card runs slightly hotter now as the fans spin slower than I'd like.

Not sure if this is a driver issue or a problem with MSI Afterburner.

19. RedPyramid

RedPyramid Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 Directcu
    Yeh "down for maintenance", this I've heard. I haven't heard anything about server problems though. Sounds equally hard to believe as "down for maintenance". Have you EVER heard of any forum going offline for 10 days, for maintenance?? The forum of a massive hardware company no less. Maximum 6 hours is the most I've heard of.. Smells fishy..

20. undercoverb0ss

undercoverb0ss Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    I'm using EVGA Precision for FPS monitoring, still getting frame drops with or without fan profile.

I can sit at the TF2 menu and watch it randomly drop to 59 from 60 for no reason at all.

Not even moving the cursor.

During gameplay it will drop to 58 sometimes.