Continuing GTX 680 VSYNC Problems (RAGE) (Video Inside)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Brendruis, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Continuing GTX 680 VSYNC Problems (Multiple Games) (Video Inside)

Hey guys,

Currently official nV forums are down so I'm bringing this here. Currently the GTX 680 (and 670) are hampered by some rather serious limitations in the driver. For ages we have used VSYNC without a second thought whatsoever, knowing full well the benefits and limitations of doing so. For whatever reason, the new cards have a large degree of difficulty maintaining sync when using traditional VSYNC. The symptom is periodic drops to 58, 57, and sometimes 55 fps or below in situations where the card is capable of far more.

There is a 95-page, 1,500,000 views thread on the nV forums and nVidia has gone so far as to officially recognize the issue, but their first effort in fixing it was not successful (304.48 driver).

Now we are in July and 304.79 is released and this problem still is not solved. Many people here I'm sure use VSYNC as I do and would surely be bothered by this bug. I personally would advise you guys to hold off on your expensive purchase until this has been confirmed fixed.

Currently even sub $200 GPUs can outperform the GTX 680 in titles with VSYNC enabled.

I have made a few video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxbsJAeL4dQ&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qvot...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F8FXZNjTvw&feature=plcp

I am a guru here for a long time...used so many nV cards it makes my brain hurt and never seen this. Previously had 580 SLI in this rig with no problems.. and when I swap these 680 out and put in my spare 560 Ti is no problems.. Here's an interesting note... SLI actually improves the stuttering (how about that one? lol) but does not eliminate it. I even put one of the 680s in my wife's i5 750 rig and problem emerges there also.

680 has SERIOUS problems right now with VSYNC.. :bang:

It actually makes me not want to play games when they look like this.. even considering selling these and taking a big GPU downgrade just to play some PC titles.

Here is a list compiled throughout this thread and the nVidia forums thread (which nVidia forums are down):

All at 60Hz, all single GPU, all max performance preferred, all default in game settings.

So far:

RAGE = bad you saw the video.. stutters bad in single and SLI

Sniper Elite V2 = stutters quite badly single GPU, SLI no stutters at all?!)

Max Payne 3 = some of the bullet time sequences there are MAJOR fps drops.. drops even as low as 19fps I just saw!

Also Operation Flashpoint Red River Rising..whenever a big explosion happens near you.. drop to 54-55 fps then recovers..

Battlefield Bad Company 2 = first sequence when the team dives off the boat into the water I see drops to 52 fps when the camera changes scenes. As you continue on, when the fire team is hiding from the Japanese armor and the bomb comes in from your allies, I see a drop to 48 fps. This is the stuttering I'm speaking of.

Titan Quest = stutters really badly single GPU, stutters still but less in SLI)

Bastion = level 1 walk all the way till you reach the hammer,and back again easy to see stutter every 5 secs or so.

Trine 2 = level 1 walk till u pick up boulder with magican walk to the right stutter and back stutter,hits 62fps yes with vsync.

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean = stutters a lot especially when you get too the hub walk left and right along board walk.

Civilization V = when zooming and moving camera, more stutter than usual, more/worse stutter in SLI)

Heaven Benchmark = frames dip when scene changes, VSYNC forced on.. VSYNC off results in huge FPS

Battlefield 3 Multiplayer & Singleplayerto that list, on a SLI GTX 670 rig, 304.79 drivers. and 304.48 drivers, the fps with vsync on still drops from 60 to 57-55 sometimes a bit lower. I have also tried it without SLI same issue.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    get a 7970 no vsync problems over here lol

3. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    yeah thanks bro lol

4. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Does this happen too if you never Alt-Tab out of the game?
    Also why do you have GPU transcoding disabled in RAGE's options?

Did you ever try to run it in windowed mode? This will kill SLi but in Skyrim it eliminates the 64hz bug (stuttering when the vsynced FPS jumps over 60 occasionally).

5. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah it has nothing to do with Alt Tabbing. and you can't enable GPU transcoding in RAGE with 2 cards installed.

it's not specific to RAGE.. it is just very apparent and easy to make a video of the problem in this game.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    He's got a point about no Vsync issues on 7970's.

Hopefully your issues are fixed soon. I've seen what you are talking about but in the form of a GTX 690.

7. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah.. I'm not sure how long to hold out. I do have a 3D Vision setup which would be useless on AMD but hey this whole rig is useless if it can't game I guess.

I just truly wish they would fix it properly

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Edit - Nevermind.

9. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    304.79. The thread is addressing the fact that it was not fixed :(

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    not sure if rage has a sli profile, I tried forcing it in the NVCP and got 30+ fps and setting to single gpu 60fps. havent really played it much but just tried because of your thread

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah sorry I missed the line where you mentioned the driver versions.
    Guessing you tried clean installs and etc.?

12. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    RAGE has an SLI profile. It originally had problems with multi-GPU because of the GPU transcoding setting but in a patch id disabled it on SLI systems as a brute force workaround.

I played it on a 580 also and it had 60fps solid.. when it first came out.. Now coming back to it on a 680 same rig (except for CPU) and I'm having problems. If I drop a 560Ti in.. 60fps solid again. :bang: VSYNC driver bug is still here on 600 series who knows if it will ever be solved. I've been working with them and submitted this video in my existing bug report.

13. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    It's all good man. Yeah I am definitely an experienced builder... if I put a 560 Ti in this rig all is well....except for performance that I'm not satisfied with

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what about with a single 680? choppy too?

15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    7970 does drop with vsinc on but it doesnt affect game play,ive never seen vsinc on any card hold a perfect 60 fps

16. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah the video is with a single 680.. really choppy.

What's strange is SLI enabled improves it.. but you can still notice drops.. I'm guessing something about alternate frame rendering alleviates the issue. funny huh? not what you'd expect

17. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yeah but...like in the video? Wasn't like that on my 580s and not on my spare 560Ti. I have used many many cards been doing this for a long time.. I signed up here in 2004... on 680 it is really bad and in person it is way worse

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    this vsync issue still exist? wow seriously thinking now to get hd 7850, i dont care i will miss physx, if they dont fix it by the time gtx 660 comes i will not go back to nvidia. im not touching series 500, i invested in pci-e 3 and i want pci-e 3 videocard

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    lol vsync. garbage.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some can't stand to play without it....of course, why go multi-gpu if you're going to use v-sync? Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of multi-gpu??