"Content type reported to the display" equivalent for AMD?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Espionage724, Oct 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8G
    I have a 4K TV, and HDR enabled on Windows 10 appears washed-out. Playing around with different color space options didn't help. If I use MPC-BE with madVR and full-screen a HDR video with HDR enabled though, it looks pretty good, and if I either window it or just have the OSD display for a bit, it reverts back to the washed-out state.

So I'm thinking in order to fix this, I need to report all content to the display as video. With NVIDIA, I recall this being easy from their control panel (info).

Is this possible at all on AMD?

PieEyedPiper likes this.
  2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    AFAIK that wont work in nvidia aswell, any non-HDR in windows HDR will suck and thats it, even with video mode :D

if you want HDR auto enable/disable so you don't have to worry, try Kodi HDR builds, those will enable HDR without you having to worry about it

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8G
    I'm thinking that if the video mode is reported as actual video at all times, HDR would be fine. If it's reported as nothing or desktop/PC graphics, I believe that's why my display doesn't handle HDR well. The video HDR test I did seems to confirm that (HDR looks bad without the video playing, but with the video playing, HDR looks ok).

I just don't want to always have some video open full-screen to use HDR with games :p

Does anyone know if there's a way to force it from registry or something? Basically it seems like my display/drivers know when a video is playing or not; I'd just like it to always assume I'm playing videos no matter what.