Consumer PCIe Gen 5.0 NVMe SSD Goes On Sale In Japan, 2 TB Up To 10 GB/s For $385 US

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Diminishing returns. I think my mobo supports Gen 5 and I don't even care.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I don't even care that mine supports gen 4. My gen 3 Samsung 970 is plenty fast.

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. Robson

Robson Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070
    All modern mainboards share the M.2 PCI lanes with the GPU.
    How much performance loss on the dual graphics cards ?

[​IMG]

5. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    AM5 boards have 24 PCIe lanes. Enough for an x16 GPU and dual M.2.

6. Ojref

Ojref Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 7900 XTX
    Its probably going to be a while before flash nvme is fast enough to max out PCIe 4.0. That being said, you watch Microsoft make PCIe 5 a hard requirement for DirectStorage for the PC.

7. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    PCIe 4.0 has already been maxed out.
    DirectStorage is already enabled for any NVMe drive including PCIe 3.0 drives. It doesn't work on Storage Spaces volumes though. I would like to use striped PCIe 5.0 drives in Storage Spaces for games and other large media.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There is no concrete evidence of that yet. Synthetic benchmarks are always going to over-stress the functionality.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    What do you mean? The primary benefit of all new PCIe generations is higher throughput. If sequential transfer rate has been maxed out, the generation has reached its limit. Random read / write performance has nothing do with any PCIe generation.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Higher throughput only matters when the lanes are saturated. That very rarely happens when gaming on a GPU with ample VRAM. This has been proven over and over again for the better part of a decade (look up PCIe scaling for the 4090 on Techpowerup). When there isn't ample VRAM, your system memory is bound to be a bottleneck before the PCIe bus, assuming your GPU didn't also have it's PCIe lanes crippled *cough*RX 6400*cough*.

Where DS will really come in handy is by reducing load times since the GPU can feed data from more than just x4 lanes while also reducing dependency on the CPU. So long as developers don't treat the on-board storage as a replacement to VRAM (which it really ought not to be), I would be shocked if we're going to see a PCIe 4.0 @ x4 lanes become saturated for real world games. Again: synthetic tests (which from what I understand, is all we have data on) are going to push to unrealistic limits, because kinda the point of them is to know what the upper limit really is.

tunejunky likes this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

seconded
    my boot drive is 4.0 (x570s) and although i bought a AM5 mobo (for 3DCache release) i'm not even close to being interested in a 5.0 drive given my use case scenario.
    all of my secondary (M.2) drives are 3.0, which is more than adequate for games and media (and actually my productivity related tasks too)

12. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    PCIe lanes aren't just for gaming. I max out my 4x NVMe drives' PCIe throughput copying video files. I need 4x Gen 5 RAID0.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The context implied DS, and gaming in general. Of course, once you exclude games then I could see how 4x NVMe drives could be bottlenecked, at least at gen 3. We're talking a pretty high-end niche where gen 4 drives in RAID 0 could be maxed out. More than likely, the CPU is the bottleneck in such a case.

tunejunky likes this.