[Constructive] Please change the underlying text for Guru's Pub

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Project2501, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    I find this to be a bit hypocritical.

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

Ok, cool, we can discuss anything. *clicks on link*

Hmm..

Wait a sec, no we can't.

Exhibit B:

[​IMG]

My reason for bringing this up is this:

I think we should have the right to discuss politics, as it's stated before you click to enter the forum (the word 'anything' includes politics).

OR

The text at the entrance to the Guru's pub should simply say, "...anyone can discuss anything, no politics..."

If option 2 is selected, we can all be happy with no political discussion and I can remove my sig.

:)

2. Six Shooter

Six Shooter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon
    Discussing politics IS allowed. But mostly it turns out in flaming, so that's why those threads get closed.

3. dude. here's some advice. don't argue it any further. i got banned for arguing rules i considered stupid or hypocritical at another forum. not that i consider the guru3d forums rules either stupid or hypocritical, though i was a little wary about the instant ban policy initiated a while ago but am in total agreement of the new "ur held accountable for ur own threads" rule.

here, learn from my mistakes(i'm vazel, i was owned :(): http://www.kaijuphile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5833

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  4. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    Politics are a flame war. Get used to it.

5. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    I'm not arguing any rules. Just providing constructive criticism. They don't have to take my advice. If they don't so be it.

6. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    IMHO as a Mod I see things a little differently than you guys. If you ppl are making more work for the Mods/Admins then it has to be done, it would be nice if you ppl could just be mature and respectful but you cannot, and that makes for more work for the Mods/Admins. We all love Guru3D as a great source of Hardware info and reviews, and that cannot happen if the staff is having to keep tabs on the PUB.

Oh and about your sig, I do not care the only problem I have is the F-bomb, remove that please, screwed works just as well.

BTW Wrong section, should be in the feedback section.

7. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    True that screwed works, but it's not as big of an emphasis.

I will change it to another pic tho without a vulgarity, gimme a min.

And my bad on the section, feel free to move it.

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Well, if its not a flame bait (correct my spelling :p) it won't get closed. The thing is that usually, threads like that end up hotting up pretty bad.

9. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    Damn gram_vaz you really did get owned!

10. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    That's what politics is though, flaming ;)

That's my point. Did you not see the mud slinging during the last few weeks of each campaign? Haha.

You can't say, "Discuss politics, but don't flame." It doesn't work. I understand that certain people carried away and say idiotic things like "all republicans are stupid" or something, however, most of us just brush that aside and move on with the discussion. I guess it also helps if the forum is mainly adults, of which this one is not. There are a lot of children here :\

11. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    I think the last two words of the above were over looked in your post.
    Fun:

Anything can be fun to discuss, as soon as its not fun it inappropriate for the forum. We just apply mild moderation to some topics, and harsher moderation to things that definatly are not fun.

12. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    :eek: He sure did... and well deserved I might add ;)

Anyway, fhe forum description seems fine to me. The only reason it is any different is stupid people have to come along and ruin it for everyone else.

13. lol. yea, u must have enjoyed that bens. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
  14. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    I find that forum full of Admins/Moderators who dont even know what they're doing :D, But u landed hard with the comments and arguement :O

15. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    Vaz,

I think you did a good job in that thread.

Admins (not just on forums) like to think they hold some ultimate power over the rest of the people visiting their sites. They seem to think to highly of themselves at times. I'm a network administrator (MCSE etc), so I've seen this on tons of different occasions.

Luckily the admins here at Guru3D aren't like that. They're generally pretty open to discussion, and level headed :D

If they're going to bitch at you for something trivial just f**k 'em (those guys at the other site). I've been banned from somethingawful.com because an admin didn't like what I had to say (I broke no rules). Talk about no tolerance. You know what? I don't give a s**t. Screw them if they're going to be ass.holes and ban you. Find a new site & new forums, there are millions out there. (Even if you don't want to it's not exactly rocket science to re-register under a different name on some forums either). It's even easier if you don't have a static IP.

I'm now actively against somethingawful.com. Simply because the majority there are immature children who really aren't funny what-so-ever, not to mention being ridiculous and charging people for registration :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004

16. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Basically that site is under a dictatorship control, we need a site like USA to kick out all dictators :D

17. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Well unfortunately political threads in the pub tend to always take the flaming road. I made a plea to just exempt politics from the pub altogether a couple months ago. Nobody outwardly followed my suggestion, but lately every political thread in the pub has been closed at the first sign of any passion whatsoever. I think you can have a passionate argument about something without flaming the opposing side, but it just usually doesn't turn out that way in this forum.

The way I see it, if you really want to discuss politics, there are plenty of other forums around the www dedicated to that type of thing. I just think it's too much work for the mods to perpetually scan every political thread that pops up to make sure it's not flamebait. When you get into politics, you get into people's strong convictions about their ideas of how the world should work as a whole. This is bound to cause heated discussion, which hasn't been tolerated here at all in recent times. When I want to vent about politics, there is another forum I go to where that kind of thing is not only allowed, but encouraged. However, I don't see the place for it here. I voice my opinion here by a simple sig, and that's it.

However, I have to address the jackass that called for the asassination of President Bush and Vice President Cheney just because he thinks they're wrong in their policies. I see that the mods deleted the entire thread from the board, which is fine, but I think there should be consequences for the guy who made those remarks. If not banishment, he should at the very least be put on a watch-list with a tight leash. If I was in charge I would have banned him immediately, but I'm biased because I'm American (btw, the guy who said it was American). He said he supposed it would be the "patriotic" thing to do. No smileys. No hint of joking (which even said in a joking manner would be unacceptable).

18. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    However, I have to address the jackass that called for the asassination of President Bush and Vice President Cheney just because he thinks they're wrong in their policies...

Calling for assassination of the president can get you arrested! Extremely unwise.

You gotta set some boundaries. Other forums that have allowed political flame wars have gone down the toilet. I have joined another forum which is a lot less stringent on the rules, and the political flame threads have dragged it down some. Now, they're getting a little more strict--though not quite so much as Guru3D.

I believe the rules here to be fairly reasonable. If I didn't think so, I would have either been banned by now, or I would have simply left on my own with a little parting note. The pub is designed for fun. You can post stuff that will make us laugh or inspire us. Or if something major is going on in your life that you need to share...

Politics isn't constructive. People are so divided over it that it always leads to people hating each other here. Perhaps when Guru3D got started, it wasn't such a sensitive issue, but now it is.

19. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    I say we invoke (create) a politics section. That way it ceases to clog up general pub. And people can flame all they want.

20. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    yes politics is a very personal thing and we all have our own beliefs but for the guy talking about killing someone over it is just nuts, i hope that anyone talking about asassination would be held accountable and put on trial for treason. I hope the FBI got ahold of that guys info and toasts him like a Marshmellow over an open fire.

just my thoughts!