Constant HL2 Hitching....

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by revenuke, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    EVERYTIME I turn a corner in hl2 it stutters. normal? maybe?

2. revenuke

revenuke Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast Leadtek A400 TDH 6800 (16x1
    i think its hl2 bug, hopefully it will be fixed in a patch..

stutering aslo happens on everything on low!!!

3. butterwaach

butterwaach Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 3080
    add "-console" to the start options in steam!

4. MIN_Seal

MIN_Seal Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT
    for anyone worried about this issue, dont be. Ive been searching every forum i can think of. Every forum has a thread about this problem, even people with plenty of good ram. So its a problem with the game, not us.

5. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    i totally agree, it ussually is, but with HL2 i have noticed that since the load times are so often, that when my pc (rarely) uses the swap file, its when its loading, and if my swap is back on C: while HL2 is on D: then its not accessing the same disk with 2 things. it wasnt a great performance increase but it helps a little

6. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    Yeahh i have the same choppyness - and the sound does it as well - a fix may be in the making ???

7. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    its the game? good. Takes a load off my back.

8. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X
    go into keyboard options/click advanced/check "use dev console".
    I can't remember if it's called "use dev console" but there's only 2 options under advanced so you'll know when you get there.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i cant get the game to play, spent the last 4 hours letting steam update, waiting to complete id activation, then it preloads something and takes god awefully forever, then tells me servers are busy, if i just autoplay cd and hit play hl2, it iether does absolutly nothing or steam pops up with one pg 2 options, i hit offline play then it acts like it wants an internet connection..ive had several different steam boxes up, between steam news,activation, unlocking game files and preloading..this is rediculous...a simple online check for verification is more than enough i would think...any help or should i reinstall windows and try again

10. Mav3r1cK

Mav3r1cK Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    I have managed to resolve a large amount of the "chopiness" on my Rig by setting the LOD Bias to Clamp and changing my Graphics apature in the Bios to 64. Made a big difference on my machine, game dosen't lock up half as much as it did before (still does every now and then) and my frame rates have improved somewhat as well, Min FPS 36 - max FPS 208 !! Thats running on 1280x1024 all settings maxed out with NO FSAA or AA.

Im just about happy now and have properly immersed myself in the Half Life 2 world - AWSOME !!!

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Error: unable to load filesystem_stdio.dll
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...and i just got it to play yesterday, thats what i get for shutting down xp for one day

12. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    Same problem here, its really weird....in the VERY 1st level with 1027x768 I got no choppiness AT ALL ...this was with 8x AS and 4x AA... Max everything, High Quality Images in Control panel. Then as I go on in, the stuttering began... I just re-installed the game and back at the level where I am walking around in the sewers, and the stuttering is getting pretty annoying now. Infact very annoying I wanna flip out. I lowered the graphics settings and things only seemed to get worse.

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    I get the same problems 1280x1024 with most set to high. (no aa, af)
    Frames are good and then all the sudden, it starts happening, sometiems when they're litterally nothing going on.
    I think it prolly a sound issue, but I'm also defraging. First time it happened was the minute I got of the train.

14. Scooperman

Scooperman Master Guru

GPU:
    2xBFG 7900GTX OC 512 @670/1640
  15. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004

16. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    i have the same stuttering. i defragged and that helped out a lot. it still skips but not nearly as much.

also, i have a wierd problem. i went to creative's site to find some drivers for my soundblaster live, but when i tried to install them the program said that it could not find any soundblaster card on my computer. so i went and checked my device manager and it says soundblaster live. seemed kind of odd to me that the installer can't find the card.

i have had some problems with seating the card firmly in it's pci slot. it kind of hangs loosly because when i screw it in tight the motherboard wont recognise it :)confused: ), but when i just let it hang there it runs fine (except my satellite speakers won't play any sound)...assuming no one bumps it or moves it or anything. if someone does, the whole screen goes crazy and the computer freezes and i'm forced to reinstall the card.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  17. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    LOL! Sorry, guy....see if this helps:

1. Remove card from retainer clip and PCI slot.

2. Using pliers, carefully bend the part where the screw slot is, so you match it to the contours of your case. I had a fellow with an old WinModem that needed this tweak not a week ago!

3. Re-insert the card into the slot but don't tighten it down yet; check that the "L" of the card is just flush with - but not making any gaps with - the back of your case. If it isn't, tweak it until it is.

4. Bolt it in and enjoy. Those PCI cards have soft metal backs for a reason...just don't break any silicon while you straighten things out!

Good luck,

FastVFR

18. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    yea, i had to do that with my video card to get it to seat properly, and i think i did it with the sound card too, though, maybe not. i'll have to check. i'm prone to forgetting simple things like that.