considering setting up my own photography busyness need advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by damien666, Jul 28, 2010.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    every jessops online as well is out of stock on body only matey i need camera with cover and jessops are the only people who do accidental cover :( i cant rish spending £2400 on an item i could drop without gd cover

EDIT:
    i know i can ave my self £180+ if i buy around but i need the cover for all my lenses and camera the cover totals £84+£40+£40+£50 for the camera + three lenses so i paying the premium here also but content insurance just isnt good enough to cover these items when im out and about :(

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Technot

Technot Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX-GeForce GTX280 Extrem
    Are you wanting to take stills or video ?

Sounds/looks like video.. get a video cam. Not a still camera that does both..

3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    also, why not save money and get a 500D?

the difference between that and a 550D is not worth the extra $$ imo. the only big differences i can think of right now is more megapixels and better video capabilities.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. Technot

Technot Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX-GeForce GTX280 Extrem
    Damien mate. Setting up any business is a very hard thing to do. A photography business is one of the hardest. I know. I have been doing it for over 20 years. As a hobbie based thing. Selling what i can when i can.

I have looked into going full on pro and try to make a living out of it. But mate you have to be very good at it, before anyone will take any notice of your work.

It sounds very easy. "I can take photos, so i'll sell them" Not that easy. There are so many pro/amature/novice photographers out there trying to sell there work.

It takes alot of money to set yourself up so you can sell your shots, if you want to sell prints. Just digital. every man and his dog does it.

I have invested around 10 grand in photography equipment and this PC, good monitor and pro printer and software. And that's just the basics.

Unless you have been taking photos for awhile already, are very good at it, love doing it, can afford to spend up to 10 grand on equipment. ( A loan is not a good way to go about it. If you depend on sales to pay it off)

Mate. get as cheap a setup you can. Try it before you get into big dept..

I may know bugger all about PCs and how they work. (am learning from this great site) But over 20 years of photography has told me it is very hard to make a business out of it.. Even when you have exclusive rights to photo an event. Have had photos published. It's still hard to sell enough..

Go little. Try it. If it works out, then spend up....

5. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    been delayed few days got a call they have my direct debt mandate thingy and they think a 5 is a 0 how i never know so i got refill form in :( now looks like maybe next Wednesday :(

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I think you're making a huge mistake here.

Just my 2c.

One of my mates just got into a Photography Business after being a teacher for a long time.

But he was taking photos in his spare time, and selling them very well. And was getting so much business because people liked them so much, that he eventually just quit his teaching job and does it full time now.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I haven't seen any good photos from you yet, so you're skill level isn't up there yet.

You should really take a step back and think about this a little more.
    Last thing I want to see is someone else in more debt they can't afford.

7. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Amen to that.

I've been doing photo things since ... my hair had a lot less gray in it. I've been selling photos since the second week of digital dSLR.

So far it hasn't even paid for the gear, and it's just an (expensive) hobby.

//Svein

8. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    edit: ...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010