Considering Phenom 9500. Anybody here with one?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by R@ven, Dec 17, 2007.

1. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    Maybe I picked wrong quote... but go 1 page back....

2. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Since this thread is still viewed some time I have to corrigate myself:

Keitosha explained the TLB bug on page 1 of this thread:

And I corrigated him that it's the L3 cache not L2. But that is wrong! :bang:

I just looked up some more information and found that all the web sites I usually browse explained the bug wrong (those are about 5-6 sites and even more I looked on). The L3 cache doesn't even have a TLB (as it would be useless to add one).

This missinformation was due to a short description of the bug :
    Most people (including me :() thought that this meant a problem in the TLB of the L3 cache but since it doesn't even have one the errata seems to be like follows:

I'm very sorry I missinformed you all and a special apology goes to Keitosha! I hope it's right this time.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That is the absolute lowest form of argument available to man. It's like the following scenarios:

Man 1: Duh, this song sucks.
    Man 2: Wel daah, think you can do better yourself? Huh? Try making a better song yourself!

Man 1: Duh, this film is really bad.
    Man 2: Duuuuuh, think you can do better yourself? Huh? Since you don't make movies yourself, you can't critizise it!

See what I mean? I feel like bursting out in flames every time someone uses that argument. Don't you think someone can have knowledge, or opinions for that matter, about things they don't own or have made themselves? Following your agenda, you can't really critizise anything unless you've had direct first-hand experience with the subject. So what you're saying is that unless you have quad cores from both AMD and Intel in your hands, you can't discuss the matter? So this guy, due to the fact that he has an old system, cannot participate in the debate about new hardware? I'm sorry, but that is outright dumb.

4. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Worst of all I'm waiting on my new hardware today lol.

5. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    Congratulations... !

And yeah John.... my bad. You are right.
    Sorry InfDaMarvel if I made you feel bad.
    :bang:

6. soprano_boy

soprano_boy Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI BFG GTX260 Core 216
    how good was your 6000 x2

7. bluemoogle

bluemoogle Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260
    got one tonight. 9500

im disappointed, taking it back tomorrow and getting the 6400+.

got mine to 12*217 = 2.6. nice overclocker, but i went from 9900+ on my 4800+, same speed, to loosing 3k on stock speeds on the phenom with 3dmark06. running bios 1503, newest asus bios. it was the only bios it will boot on. i also noticed i lost dual channel support. im guessing the memory controller on the quad core? in real life gaming performance, i loaded up oblivion, and same results. not too bad of ramerate loss, but its definitely there.

i was too curious on the performance myself to pass it up, but now its back to fry's i go...

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I think that the Phenom will also perform better on an AM2+ board, because then it's running with HT3.0 instead of HT1.0 on a normal AM2 board. ;)

The only AM2+ boards i know of at the moment are from Gigabyte (it has the AMD 790FX chipset and that's the only AM2+ capable chipset at the moment. :) )

The link i posted earlier in this thread about 9500's being oc'ed are oc'ed in AM2+ boards making them monster oc'ers according to the members of that forum.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    if anyone wants a p9600 from newegg heres a promo code for 10 bucks off
    EMCABACBE
    dont know if good price ar 230

10. Delkam

Delkam Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280 OC farcry 2
    The best Amd Phenom don't had performance of Q6600.That's the first problem you need to know :p .I hope Amd will reconquer the market.

11. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Actually stock for stock they are about 5-10% difference depending on the ap or game your playing. It is only when you overclocking comes into play does the q6600 stomp the phenoms. The 9500 phenom is looking like a steal of a deal for quad core and low price tag.

12. GalantVR41062

GalantVR41062 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 CF
    I have my eye on the AMD 6400 black edition, the quad cores are a little high on the budget for me. And I do not know if I would ever use it to its full potential anyways.

~John

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  13. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    For the price of the 6400 black edition you can get the phenom. To me future hold more for quad core so i am buying a quad core phenom 9500. This will be one of my last upgrades for awhile t'll after i get married this year.

14. Apoc_

Apoc_ Guest

GPU:
    MSi 1060 Gaming X
    Noob question.

Is the 6400+ better then the 9500 quad core? Where I live (Australia) they're the same price and from the sounds of things it's like that almost everywhere. Now.. it just sounds a little weird to me.. if the 6400+ only has two cores and the 9500 had four cores.. why would the price difference be nothing to a max of $5?

15. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    The Phenom 9500 clocks at 2200 Mhz whereas the Athlon X2 6400+ has 3200 Mhz. And they are relatively equal clock-for-clock (Unless you can use all the Phenoms four cores).

16. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    it's a problem in the available stepping so all Phenomns now on the market have the TLB bug.

17. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    that may be so but what's the use if the Phenom is only available at a max speed of 2.4Ghz and the good old a64 is available at 3.2Ghz?

AMD obviously needs more time to get its act together.

18. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Well your in the same boat with intel's quads. You can get dual core at higher speeds then the quads and yet people still buy the quads. For people like me not into overclocking the phenom is a great quad core processor for us. If i was into overclocking i would have gone with intel.

19. *Rogue*

*Rogue* Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 OC 216
    At last some common sense ... Dont ya jus love the fanboys ... lol

20. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Yup, i don't mind buying Intel (i would love to have a Q6600, but i'm having an Intel C2D laptop), but there are also some factors that prevents me from buying Intel:

1. The memory controllers are embedded in AMD CPU's as of the A64 line. (but Intel will do the same with their next line of CPU's (forgot the name, Nehalem? and finally)) and Intel should dis the FSB concept.

2. Atm AMD is cheaper than Intel. While the Q6600 isn't that expensive and sells here in Holland for €220, i can get a Phenom X4 9500 for €140 here.

3. Intel mainboards are generally more expensive than their AMD counterparts (but an AMD board can also be expensive when getting an AMD 790FX chipset). Intel screwed Nvidia with the 680i, not allowing Yorkshire (this is the correct name right?) support, forcing consumers that want to use that cpu to go 780i.

My current board that i own to the left costed me just €50 and the cpu €100, that makes a total of €150. That board has all the features i want (plus 3x PCI and 2x an IDE port, which becomes more rare).

The only Intel 775 board that i came across with the same features (3x PCI, 2x IDE) was one from ASUS and that one costs about €150. So if i would go Intel atm, it would cost me a total of €370.

I also holding my hand on my wallet sometimes and some things are more important in life than having an uber rig, like getting married in a few years, having children, pets....

But if someone has money to burn, get what your heart desires. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008