1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering HDD upgrade

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Leafblower, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I'm thinking about upgrading my main drive two of these:
    WD2500AAJS

To two of these:
    WD5002AALX

Will I get a significant speed increase by upgrading? I couldn't find any benchmarks of read/write speed of these drives.

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    I'd personally get a 64GB SSD for OS instead.

But, yeah, Caviar Blacks are somewhat faster than Caviar Blues.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    2 weeks back I got a new HDD, the 1TB Western Digital Black Carvier edition 600mb/s...

It's SUPER quick....

I would of bought an SSD drive only there is no such thing as even a 500GB drive, their TOO small for games....

I've got tons of games and even a 300Gb hard drive will fill up with games let alone movies, music, etc...

Also can you imagine the cost of a 1TB SSD drive if it did exist? I bet more than my pc put together... :D

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No.

5. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Well I'd like more space for my main drive anyway so I'll probably upgrade to a black if I get money.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    If you want best price/performance get Samsung F3 1TB (HD103SJ). I have three in RAID0, wicked disks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Whoa...why do your results fluctuate so much between 350MB/s - 450MB/s....:3eyes:

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    because it's three hard drives. Can't exactly count on three separate devices to keep the same speed no matter what is going on.

kanej: not exactly sure where you look... but i'm assuming you haven't looked at SSD's in quite some time? OCZ actually makes a 1TB SSD. The only downside is that the price per GB for SSD's is still phenomenally high. That 1TB SSD here in the US costs $2,800..... more than the majority of us spend on our computer.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I just benched my RAID 0 array with HD Tach and had the same fluctuation.
    There's something odd about the way it performs a sequential read test, because benching my 1TB array only took about 30secs.......

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol, yeah, thought so. No way I will spend almost $3000 for a hard drive!!

A simple 1TB 3.5'' hard drive will cost LESS than $100 instead of $2800 for an SSD.

With regards to gaming, what advantages will the $2800 SSD offer? Apart from slighly faster loading times, NOTHING.

Neither will it give me more fps or boost performance....

Crazy that a hard drive costs almost $2800, that's more than a high end system put together!!!

If it was $400 or $500 I'd consider it...

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You could get 2 good 1TB drives (like Samsung F3) for 100€ (inc. 23% VAT) here in Finland. The price is just too high for SSD's, maybe not for OS disk.

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    I don't think anybody here buys a SSD and expects to have EVERYTHING on it. I have a 120GB OCZ Agility 3..... and the only things i have on it are the OS, and a few games and apps. I own quite a few games, but i only PLAY a few anymore.... so there's not really any need to have everything under the sun installed on the SSD. I also have all my downloads in Chrome automatically saved to a separate hard drive. 120GB is quite nice for everyday use. Boot/shutdown times are insanely quick.... as is sleep and wake.

13. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
  14. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I actually do have everything on SSD.

I also have 2 1tb drives, each backing things up (double backups).

Honestly, the benefit is only on 1st time starting of anything.
    The second time, it's always quick, SSD or HDD. Same speed after it gets cached.

My computer is on for months... I only turn it off to update drivers. So generally, I've had near 0 performance boost from the switch from HDD to SSD.

Sometimes when I choose to fire up some wierd game (like I played Warcraft 2 B.N.E. yesterday), I have the benefit of a slightly quicker load on the first shot. But it's rare and short lived.

I generally use the same half-dozen programs, generally doing the 'same few things' in each program, so my ram is sufficient to keep things fast regardless of storage.

-scheherazade

15. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    You just can´t say that for other users as well.

For example i tend to do things parallel way and use those multitasking capabilities of my windows OS which do work as advertised since the release of Windows XP. And for that SSD is a GREAT improvement over any HDD.

Sometimes i edit and scan multiple pictures in Photoshop AND archive my files in background AND my antivirus software is doing a scheduled virus scan AND i am downloading software and driver updates in the background all at the same time.

I think those scenarios are not quite far fetched for todays computers and software and by using a HDD in that scenario your pc becomes quite unusable for a long time because a HDD is not able to fulfill all those task at once. And it does not matter if you have RAID0 with 2 or 4 drive or RAID5 or any other form of RAID.

NO HDD is capable doing that kind of parallel workloads and grant you a usable system in the meantime.

With SSD´s and their multichannel controllers all that is really no problem and you could even add much more workload to them and retain a stable, fast and usable system.

They may be more expensive in terms of capacity compared to traditional HDD but for multitasking SSD is inevitable in a modern computer.

16. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Of course an SSD is too small to install every game you own on. The idea is to buy a 60GB-120GB SSD for your OS and main applications you use. You'll have room for several games on a 60GB and should fit plenty on a 120GB. Keep your random files, media, etc. on a standard HDD and you'll be fine. The difference between even the a VelociRaptor and an SSD is beyond night and day. Easily the best upgrade I've ever purchased for my system.

17. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Also this is my array benchmarked.
    [​IMG]
    Are you sure those two drives won't be an improvement?

18. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    SSD :) All of the consumer desktop hard drives offer virtually identical performance.. some of them run cooler/lower power etc but hard drives are for mass storage if you want speed you want an SSD

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No maybe not with RAID, but you can with multiple single drives.
    In fact that's precisely the reason I run so many non-raid HDD's...d/loading, file transfers, scans, whatever...my system can do all that at once and not even blink... :)
    Even so, it's unlikely I'll ever run that many tasks with normal use.

What were you expecting? Benchmarks scores might increase but it still won't make your system noticeably faster.
    That said, extra drives mean more HDD related multi-tasking, as mentioned above (provided the HDD's are set up with that in mind).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011